The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
On Friday I woke up with a reading of 128. Took my Lantus as usual, 25U, on top of my usual 15U the night before. Took shower, got Dunkin Donuts and brought it home. On way home I became aweare of being low. Very low,....took a reading,....22! Inside of 40 minutes I went from 128 to 22, and only took Lantus in between. And now for the last few days I have been running higher than normal, but with the feeling of being low. So I am taking my readings all the time. But all the usual low stuff,...cold hands, pressure on chest, eyes feeling not right, anxiousness all present, but readings in the upper 100's-mid 200's. Any one ever have this? Did my Lantus go bad? Could that be doing this?

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
On Friday I woke up with a reading of 128. Took my Lantus as usual, 25U, on top of my usual 15U the night before. Took shower, got Dunkin Donuts and brought it home. On way home I became aweare of being low. Very low,....took a reading,....22! Inside of 40 minutes I went from 128 to 22, and only took Lantus in between. And now for the last few days I have been running higher than normal, but with the feeling of being low. So I am taking my readings all the time. But all the usual low stuff,...cold hands, pressure on chest, eyes feeling not right, anxiousness all present, but readings in the upper 100's-mid 200's. Any one ever have this? Did my Lantus go bad? Could that be doing this?
Very interesting! I don't think that Lantus could cause that type of drop in your blood glucose, although with any insulin, going low is always possible. I would have re-checked that reading of 22, that is so low. As far as the Lantus going bad, there is always that possibility. I have suspected a low before and tested and I was fine. If you have another cartridge or vial of Lantus, try it out before you let a couple days of unusual readings get you worried.

·
Registered
40 Posts
Make sure the tester is calibrated properly (you didn't mention which one you are using). For example I use a freestyle mini. If the code entered is wrong, then the readings can be off by anywhere from 0.5 mmol/ to a good 10mmol/l.

You can have another ilness that makes you feel that way. Also the fast drop may have been caused if you used a bolus when the high was caused by you forgetin an earlyer bolus.

An example of the later would be this: If you for example forgot the bolus for breakfast which would be 8 units and after two hours or so noticed a high, injecting the same 8 units would be wrong since you would quickly go to a low as the high is not supported by any other long lasting carbs. So if you had some carbs that weren't compensated but ingested a long time ago (or are active for a short period by nature) insulin will have a bigger effect on the BG level.

Check your base. Sometimes when I was on lantus lowering the base would actually lower my BG levels through the day. Lantus has to be balanced carefully.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts