The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I am a 77 year old women, I take my insulin before dinner, usually 30 min and then have dinner, sometimes I don't wait the 30 min and eat earlier, at times I have dinner and 2 hours later I take my insulin. But still after eating I feel very tired. Why do I feel exhausted after I eat?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Hi, I am a 77 year old women, I take my insulin before dinner, usually 30 min and then have dinner, sometimes I don't wait the 30 min and eat earlier, at times I have dinner and 2 hours later I take my insulin. But still after eating I feel very tired. Why do I feel exhausted after I eat?
Welcome fozol...what are you eating typically at mealtime? How much insulin do you take before meal? What type of diabetic are you? What time of day are you eating meals? This information would be helpful. Also, if you have not already done so, please go to the Introduction Board and introduce yourself so we have more info on you.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Sorry, I just realized on your profile that you are Type 1.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hi, silly me, I am type 2, I use 25 units in morning and 25 at night before dinner. My dinner is starch and protein with bit of vegetables. Is there a way to change my stat from type 1 to type 2?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Fozol, you can go to CP at the top of the forum and change your profile there.

Now, getting back to your diet...protein with starch with just some veggies at dinner are why you are tired after you eat. You need to eliminate that starch, or just have a tad. Starch is a carb, and veggies do have carbs in them, just not as much as say rice, potato, pasta, bread. If it is white, get rid of it. Also, whole grain or whole wheat tends to raise bg's of diabetics, especially Type 2's. I would suggest you eliminate the starch from your dinner and see how you feel over a week or two. Do you monitor your blood glucose one hour post prandal and two hours post prandal? Do you monitor your blood glucose before your meal as well? These are all important steps to finding out how much your blood glucose is rising from what you ate. If your numbers are high one hour and two hour after, that is why you are tired. When your blood glucose (or we refer to them here as bg's) raise above 140, the high sugar amount in your blood is why you feel tired, or sluggish. It causes fatigue. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Check out BloodSugar101 website and read. This is a great place to start with what is going on with your body and how to correctly help lower your bg's.

·
Registered
930 Posts
fozol

There are usually 2 main reasons why you get tired after a meal.

1) Your body is diverting blood from your brain to your digestive tract resulting in less oxygen to your brain. Increasing your carbon dioxide level by walking can induce your body to take up more oxygen (breath harder) and reduce this tiredness

2) The increase in insulin with your meal is causing a lot of inflammation which makes your metabolism less effective. To see if the inflammation is causing the tiredness, and if you can tolerate aspirin, take 2 325mg aspirin with your meal and see if you are less tired.

For an alternate view see: http://www.livestrong.com/article/369596-why-diabetics-get-sleepy-after-meals/

ColaJim

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you get this tired feeling, do you test your bgs? When I get that feeling it usually means that I ate way too many carbs for dinner.

·
Registered
20 Posts
fozol, hi. Just something to think about. I always thought it was my diabetes and spikes making me tired after every meal. I only found out that it was because I am allergic to wheat. I literally pass out if my meal consists of wheat products, but can eat other carbs without that effect whatsoever, even if I should spike from a meal. Something to investigate if you find no other answers. Cheers.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I find that if I eat too many carbs and get a BG spike, I get very tired. Please test your BG before, and at least an hour and two hours after you eat! Let us know.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts