The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My Endo put me on Victoza shots and I'm in my third week. I've noticed the biggest difference with the amount of food. I can only eat a small portion of food at a meal before feeling that I've had enough. The rest of the time I don't even feel hungry plus no cravings! I've felt nauseous but that has mainly gone away in my third week.

I have been watching the types of foods I eat and staying away from junk but pretty much eat what I want as far as healthy foods. I don't have to worry about blood testing either.

I lost 7 lbs in the first 10 days but haven't weighed myself yet. Tomorrow morning I will as it will be 3 weeks.

I'm very happy with this medication.

Is anyone else taking it? How is it for you?

Jodi

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I have seen your post sitting here with no replies for a while, I guess no one wants to rain on your parade, and I don't either, but I think it is best if you know the facts so you can make a wise decision. Someone with more knowledge of this than me should be replying to your post, and hopefully they will. I have done some reading about drugs like Victoza and this is how I see it.

I am leery of anything that stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin because you have type 2, which means some of your beta cells (which produce insulin) have been damaged or destroyed. And when you stimulate them to make more insulin than they normally would, it can cause more damage and destruction to them. For type 2's it is important to protect your remaining beta cells because if they quit producing enough insulin, you will have to start taking insulin.

Here is a link to a site about Victoza, and for one thing, it says:
Victoza research has shown it to cause pancreatitis, an inflammation of the pancreas. The shot injects a hormone called GLP-1 that stimulates the pancreas to produce more insulin after meals. Victoza also posed a risk for thyroid cancer and the requirement of a risk-mitigation strategy.

Many at the forum are on Metformin and like it because it does not stimulate the pancreas to produce more insulin, and they seem to consider it to be one of the safest medicines out there for Diabetes.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I'm on Victoza and have been since January of this year. A1c is down to 6.5 and morning reading are way lower than last year. Endo put me on this and wanted me to up the dose to 1.8 after a couple of weeks. But, I had too many problems ie, nausea, diareaha and dizziness the first week or so that I stayed at .6. I eventually dialed up to .9. Yes I know there is no .9 on the pen but it's 5 clicks after .6 - nothing says you have to dial up to a marking. Anyway, all problems went away after the second week. I initially lost 10 pounds but gained back about 4 and holding. Since A1c is good and meter readings are good I'm staying at this level for now.

I've heard about the cancer but I have not found anything that says humans have gotten it yet. Only lab rats or mice. I've read bad things about byetta too and so I opted for the Victoza. I'm also on metformin.

My current plans are to try again to lose more weight. At my age and life today it's very difficult. I'm am gradually moving to a NO red meat diet. Hopefully I'll be on this sometime in September. I currently am only having red meat once a week. Trying mostly to get the freeze stock pile depleted.

There are other areas on this site where people have talked about Victoza. That was the main reason I became a member
myself to see what others were doing with it. If you just put the name is the search box it will come up.

Good luck and write back here if you have a question.

Jim

·
Registered
204 Posts
whats byetta?
its a drug that you use 2 times a day, injectible, and it can help with weight loss.

for me - i was on victoza. didn't get any weight loss. in fact, it stopped working for me at 6 months, so i put weight back on. at the time, i thought i was getting worse, and tried all kinds of things to help : fat fasts, doubling and tripling up on exercise but to no avail.

i found out after the fact that its very common for victoza to just STOP WORKING. which is what it did for me.

so given the choice between victoza and byetta, i'd say byetta. however, it doesn't really appear to do anything with insulin resistance, so for me i'm sticking wtih metformin.

byetta seems to be better than victoza, at least in my opinion.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts