The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just ran across this 2015 study showing that vinegar (acetic acid) lowered post-prandial arterial BG after a 'mixed' meal in recently diagnosed diabetics not yet on medication (very small sample - only 11 men). Still, this seems encouraging enough to try.

"Vinegar Consumption Increases Insulin-Stimulated Glucose Uptake by the Forearm Muscle in Humans with Type 2 Diabetes." Vinegar Consumption Increases Insulin-Stimulated Glucose Uptake by the Forearm Muscle in Humans with Type 2 Diabetes

The 'mixed meal' included "bread, cheese, turkey ham, orange juice, butter, and a cereal bar (557 kcal; 75 g carbohydrates, 26 g protein, and 17 g fat); the meal was consumed steadily within 15 min. Blood samples were withdrawn from both sides preprandially and at 15–60 min intervals for 300 min after meal for measurements of glucose"

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 · (Edited)
whoops - title should read 'post meal' not 'bread' - I've been reading far too many studies today! Unfortunately I can't figure out how to edit the title.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think I'd rather not eat bread.

It's a pretty simple concept.

Reactions: patpuckett

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
sorry - I fear I misled you by my error in writing the title.

It was a whole meal (with lots of carbs, though). My thought is that it will be interesting to test and see if adding vinegar (in salad dressing, for example) can reduce post-meal spikes. Regardless of # of carbs. I have a lot of trouble with post-meal spikes even when carbs are low, so I will to test this out & would love to hear what others find, too -- good, bad, nada.

I'm not suggesting that vinegar 'excuses' bread or fruit or bean or too many 'whatever' carb lapses (which can happen for the diet-imperfect among us - like me), but hey ... why not see if it helps?

·
Registered
970 Posts
Tell us how you define "carbs are low", please.

Examples?

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
Vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar, has so many health claims attached to it. I have tried it for a couple things, and... nada Does not do a thing. Except raise acid levels in the stomach and if one is deficient in that, then the vinegar could be of benefit.

·
Registered
1,354 Posts
I did all that vinegar testing and it didn't help at all. I always eat vinegar with my salad though. If your blood sugar spikes too high on LCHF you may need insulin.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I'm nowhere near perfect, but I've tried it too, and it didn't do squat. I didn't just add more vinegar to the dressing, I actually diluted the vinegar and drank it. Effect was zip.

Plus I certainly don't see the point in using a meal that high in carbs (orange juice, for gosh sake?!), if they're testing to find lower blood sugars.

·
Registered
150 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks, folks. I'll still try myself. Wishful thinking, and all that (I thought the OJ was crazy, too - why do that to anyone w/D?)

I need to go back to rigorous post-meal testing for a while anyway. I've let that lapse for ~a year so don't have enough post-prandial data to show the doc for intelligent talk about insulin (thanks for the idea, Roxanne). I'll bring it up tomorrow when I see her, though (labs last week FBG=100, A1c 6.7)

Of course, she'll probably be more worried about my cholesterol 220 Total, 155 ldl, 60 HDL, 80 Trigl) than BG and will doubtless suggest statins. Again. Last time she was 'happy' with A1c = 6.6., unhappy with chol which hasn't changed much.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Vinegar, especially apple cider vinegar, has so many health claims attached to it. I have tried it for a couple things, and... nada Does not do a thing. Except raise acid levels in the stomach and if one is deficient in that, then the vinegar could be of benefit.
When I was newly diagnosed, I read that drinking two teaspoons of apple cider vinegar before bed would bring down the morning bg reading, so I tried that for a week. There didn't seem to be any difference.

·
Registered
970 Posts
Humbug. :)

Reactions: Judy-in-France

·
Registered
22 Posts
I tested this on identical meals two days in a row, and the apple cider vinegar taken pre-meal did indeed appear to cause less of a rise in BG. I have numbers somewhere, and will post them if I can find them.

Note I'm not a diabetic, though, and I believe I read that the vinegar is much more helpful for pre-diabetics than diabetics.

·
Registered
1,865 Posts
I have found vinegar mixed with rubbing alcohol 50%/50% makes a great 'ear cleaning solution'! I you wear hearing aids, this is important to know. Of course you cannot drink it!

Just to show vinegar has some health applications.....

·
Registered
800 Posts
Good for cleaning windows, and making pickles.

The only study I read that used vinegar with diabetics...used live/unpasteurised apple cider vinegar, though it referenced an Italian study using red wine vinegar. They took a tablespoon in water before a meal. It was shown to have some characteristics similar to metformin in lowering morning fasting BG, but the conclusion was further study was warranted. Sorry I can't remember the name of the study. I do remember that the study was finanaced by a Cider Vinegar manufacturer though...

It didn't do anything for me. I eat raw vinegars quite often in pickles, and I've seen no difference.

Reactions: grammaB and Shanny

·
Registered
92 Posts
Here is a small and recent (2015) study on vinegar and glucose metabolism. At least with people with milder diabetes eating a normal (high carb) diet, it seems to have lower insulin resistance.

Vinegar Consumption Increases Insulin-Stimulated Glucose Uptake by the Forearm Muscle in Humans with Type 2 Diabetes

One of the other studies referenced here (#31 of 42 studies cited) that vinegar works with high GI diet and not with low GI diet. So, if you are already doing LCHF, you won't see any incremental benefit.

If I wasn't on LCHF and not already taking metformin, I would consider trying it given no side effects.

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I've done lots of n=1 experiments, including with ACV. Everything works for 2 days and then back to square one. Seems like my liver is smarter than my brain. So I've decided (for my n) to "strike at the root cause". Nothing works like LCHF.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts