The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had dramatic vision changes before my diabetic event as I call it. Ironically, it changed so that distance went into focus and was blurry with glasses (wish that had remained!)

I'm about 2 weeks out from ER bringing my bs down and going on meds and my vision has changed a lot. My glasses are no longer adequate, but I don't want to rush off to my opthamologist for glasses prematurely.

For those of you who have gone through vision changes, how long did it take for your vision to stabilize?

My bs the last 2 days has been in the low 100's.

·
Registered
8 Posts
This is somewhat new to me, however, I lost vision after jumping into the 700's. It took about 6 weeks for my vision to correct itself. It was a gradual process.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
This is somewhat new to me, however, I lost vision after jumping into the 700's. It took about 6 weeks for my vision to correct itself. It was a gradual process.
You were smart to wait this out. I was getting new glasses everytime I turned around. In May 2010 my eye doctor said that I had cataracts, so I took the chance and had sugery on my cataracts. Best thing I ever did, my vision is good without glasses, but sharper with glasses. I don't have constantly changing vision.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
well...after the last spell of completely being out of control and in denial, my vision went really wonky, I waited until after I was in really good control and after my retinas were lasered before my vision finally settled into what it is now.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
How long did that take, onaughmae?

I'm having a big problem with blurriness and I think that's the reason for my headaches. Would it be premature to see my retinologist? I want to avoid more than one appt for financial reasons.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
How long did that take, onaughmae?

I'm having a big problem with blurriness and I think that's the reason for my headaches. Would it be premature to see my retinologist? I want to avoid more than one appt for financial reasons.
I think if you have not had your eyes dilated and your retinas examined than you do need to do so. Sometimes the blurriness will go away after a few weeks of normal blood sugars. It all depends on if there was any retinal damage done or not. My problem was leaking blood vessels in the retinas of my eyes. They lasered the leaking areas and once the extra fluid reabsorbed my vision returned to normal.

That is not to say that you are having the same problem, but all diabetics need to have their retinas evaluated at least yearly. Many permanent complications can be prevented when caught early enough.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I had a retinal exam June last year because I have macular degeneration. My endocrinologist said it's possible to likely I've not had diabetes a long time because it would have shown up then, or I'd have some neuropathy.

It's possible I have some leaking from this recent event I guess. I'm due for my next appt in June. I'll call the office and get their input.

This vision is terrible though. Nothing is in focus - I can't stay on the computer very long, watching TV gives me a headache, as do everyday activities.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Moon - My vision went haywire as soon as I started my Metformin and levels came down. When it didn't improve, I went to the opthamologist who told me I had "sugar cataracts" as a result of the diabetes. I'm getting one of them removed (hopefully) in March. You're likely still stabilizing, may take 1-2 months for it to completely stabilize (your results may vary) but find a good opthamologist and stick with them..

From your signature says, you're on the way to getting your sugars under control. Good luck.

·
Registered
221 Posts
Sugar levels and vision go hand in hand, thts why doctors say maintain even sugarlevels all the time. Thats easily said than done. I had two vitreoectomies in last 4 years due to retinal detachment. My problem is hyper miopia, though numbers have not changed in the last 10eyars, due to diabetis drynes had set inthe eye. retina started to peel off in certain areas like upper eyelids. However there is no cataract for me still, not significant diabetic damage was seen too.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Good blood sugar levels = bad vision for me!

We've thought for years that I might have Type-2 diabetes - nearly everyone in my Mom's family dealt with either Type-1 or Type-2 diabetes, and my younger brother, my only sibling, had also been diagnosed with Type-2. The reason I thought I might have it is because I was about 220 lbs when I should be around 190 lbs, and although it wasn't every day or every meal, every once in a while if I ate too many carbs I'd literally pass out, after feeling hot, sweaty, head spinning, etc...then wake up some few hours later feeling like I had been hit by a run-away bus.

I've been working as a computer programmer since essentially 1981, so about 30 years - not one issue with my vision. Also, been in graduate school the past few years, lots of reading, again - no issues.

So in July 2009, I went to the Dr, had full bloodwork done, and it was found that my instantaneous BS reading was about 156 and my A1C was 7.7 on a scale that indicated normal is 4.8 - 5.9, and diabetic adult is <7.0 - the Dr indicated thatit looked like I had a "mild case of Type-2 diabetes". So he put me on Metformin 500mg twice a day and gave me a meter. I checked my sugar every morning before breakfast, and if I had another carb overload situation. Prior to beginning taking the Metformin the readins would be in the 200-220 range. After beginning the Metformin, it would be around 180. This went on for a few months I guess it was and I went back to the Dr and he was concerned that the BS had not dropped all that much, if at all really, so he determined that perhaps my pancreas wasn't producing enough insulin, so he added Glimepiride 1mg once per day and almost immediately I started getting morning fasting BS readings around 100...in fact I clearly remember one day around lunch time I was preparing lunch for the kids and me, was carrying it into the living room to sit down and eat, and I began shaking so bad and felt so week I warned the kids and told them what to do if I lost consciousness. I began eating anyway, and almost immediately felt better and had the kids bring me the meter - my BS was 81. So I thought it was ironic that for the first time in perhaps years my BS was right where it needed to be, and I almost couldn't function and felt like I would faint.

So I continued on with the Metformin 500mg 2x and the Glimepiride 1mg 1x per day, but over the period of a few weeks I began to notice that I needed to bring out the magnifying glass in order to read small print like on the back of some packages of food, and it became difficult to read words on my computer. So about 29 years of working all day almost every day with my computer, never a vision issue, but then I couldn't read it because it was becoming more and more blurry. Also, I could NOT read the textbooks I had been reading because it was all a blur. Now, things at a distance, I could see those pretty well, however, I also began to notice that when driving at night that the light from an oncoming car, even if their headlights were not on bright, would blind me and I literally had to guess to keep the car on the road at the moment of meeting the oncoming cars. By this time it was about time for my 6-month checkup and bloodwork, went to the lab, then later went to the Dr and he said my A1C was 6.5 if I remember correctly, and the instant reading was great, and we both felt good about the handling of the diabetes. So I told him about the vision issue, and he strongly recommended I go to an eye doctor and get an eye exam because he was concerned there may be some damage caused by the diabetes, and of course, that is one of the major concerns of the disease.

So I went to the eye doctor, got the exam, and he said that was absolutely NO damage related to diabetes or otherwise, and that the issue was that my left eye was very slightly weaker than the right eye, and that was causing me to have difficulty with things up close. I ordered some glasses, and he suggested I might try some reading glasses in the meantime. So I went to the little eye-test station at the reading glasses counter and ended up getting some +2.50 reading glasses and I was then able to see things on the computer and read my textbooks again. When I got the glasses (bifocals) I basically couldn't use them because the up-close part was too small for a computer display...so I continued with the cheap reading glasses.

I went back to the Dr for another 6 month checkup (probably had another or 2 beetween the above story and current day) about 2 weeks or so ago. A1C, etc, etc was good again, even better. I told him again about my eyes, about the eye Dr saying there was no damage, etc and asked if it could be either related to the Glimepiride or perhaps the fact that now that my BS was in the normal range on a daily basis, could it have an adverse affect on my vision? He suggested it might be due to moisture levels in the eyes, and so on, didn't think it would be the Glimepiride, but also said he was confused as to why we went from Metformin 500mg 2x to instead using Metformin 500mg 2x and the Glimepiride 1mg 1x per day. He said the second attempt is that he usually just doubles the Metformin before adding anything else. So he said I could drop the Glimepiride, go to Metformin 1000mg 2x per day, and see what happens. Well guess what...I've typed this entire email with NO glasses of any kind. I can read even the smallest print on the food packages, and I can read the textbooks again. It's a little blurry at times, but seems to be getting gradually better, although I could already tell a different perhaps 2 days after changing the meds. Another difference: my fasting BS is back up in the 180 range. And a couple times, maybe 3, over the past couple weeks, I've had those "hit by a bus" crashes. The increased dosage of Metformin also seems to be really negatively affecting my stomach and GI tract - lots of flatulence, bloating, gas, gurgling in the intestines, tenderness - you name it...what one can sometimes expect from Metformin.

This morning for example, I got up at 6am and felt fine in terms of energy, my stomach wasn't messed up, etc. Got the kids ready and off to school. Around 715am my stomach started hurting a little, checked my BS it was 137. So I ate breakfast: 2 pieces of toast (Hartford Farms Wheat Berry bread, 22g carbs each), 2 Morningstar Farms Chik Patties (by the way, I've been ovo-lacto vegetarian since 1990) at 16g carbs each, a couple pieces of low-fat cheese (one provolone, one colby jack), and water. Within 30 minutes I was "out like a light" so to speak, and slept until 1230pm, and am just now (130pm) getting over the feeling of having been run over by a train. Keep in mind, that in the year or so of taking Metformin 500mg 2x and the Glimepiride 1mg 1x per day I NEVER had a crash...maybe a few bouts of my BS slipping too low and having to pop a glucose tablet, but no carb-induced stupors. But again, I'm typing this email at the exact same font size (Arial 10) that I've used for decades w/o reading glasses.

So the questions are, because even though I like my Dr a lot I feel like he may be just trying things at this point and seeing what happens and so now I'm looking for answers elsewhere:

(1) Does this make sense? Does it make sense I can see perfectly well all my life and then as soon as I start to get my sugar under control I literally can't read anything up close without reading glasses, and then eliminate some meds, let the BS rise back up, and I can read just fine again?

(2) If my story does make sense, what can I take in terms of meds that will help keep the diabetes under control AND also allow my eyes to keep working as they have in the past? I realize ultimately I need to drop those 30 lbs, but at age 48, working at a computer 8-10 hours per day and grad school in the evenings, two very active kids in middle and high school that need to be driven around, etc, etc - well it's very, very difficult to do. I did do it about 10 years ago...lost 38 pounds over the course of 3 years got down to 175 (briefly) then stabilized at about 185 lbs - but I was coaching 3 child soccer teams, playing on 2 - 3 adult old guy soccer teams 2 or 3 games per week, and so on...but a torn ACL in both knees, bad back, not much spare time, etc brought that to a halt and eventually I stabilized again at about 220 lbs - and this return to 220 lbs was prior to all these visits to the Dr to get started on diabetes meds so since Jul 2009, when this diabetes stuff started, I was already back to 220...but my eyes worked like a charm! LOL

Any help or advice you can give will be greatly appreciated, and thanks for taking the time to read my story and consider my questions

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Vision changes are common with blood sugar swings, though I don't know at what sugar levels it happens. I suppose with everything else about this disease, it depends on the person.

I'm still sorting out my vision, but can tell you that suddenly everything was out of focus for me - with my glasses on. I took them off and my distance was completely in focus. I could watch TV without glasses, something I hadn't done comfortably in years. Unbeknownst to me I had diabetes. Now, my levels were way higher than yours, but once my blood sugar came down, my vision went in the opposite direction - becoming blurry whether I had glasses on or not. The reading part of my progressives I could use for distance - oh that was fun! - and I could read nothing. They are just now stabilizing somewhat though I still go in and out of focus.

The Glimepiride you were taking stimulates the pancreas to put out more insulin, so you were far more prone to lows. The metformin (according to my endo) won't take you below where you should go, or if you have a low the metformin he claims isn't the cause of it. The Glimepiride was giving you the low, but once off of it the metformin alone couldn't keep your sugars enough in check.

Do you know how long you could have had diabetes? Perhaps your eyes have been getting worse, but the increased blood sugar masked it by distorting your vision. Once your blood sugar was in check, maybe you just needed new glasses? But - you shouldn't get them until you've been stable for a few months, at least that's what I read and what I myself am waiting for.

That breakfast you listed was really high in carbs. Perhaps if you back off the carbs and take just the metformin, your sugar will stabilize and you won't be subjected to the lows you had on the Glimepiride. I take a med which works the same way, and my endo wants me off of it as soon as possible because he says its action basically borrows from the future in terms of insulin production.

Now - people more knowledgeable than I can weigh in :)

I know it's maddening - diabetes is, isn't it?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Thanks for the info! Since I made the post a few days ago I've been really watching the carb intake to try to figure out what my limit is. It seems that when I get near that 20% of recommended daily values for carbs in one meal, then I'm knocked out again. This morning, I had a bowl of cheerios - the resulting %DV of carbs was 24% - I ended up having to sleep it off for about 3 hours and even now I feel horrible...feels like a bad case of a sinus pressure-related headache. The past couple mornings, I had eggs, Morningstar Farms veggie sausages and cheese: unless there's carbs in eggs then I had 0 carbs those two mornings, and proceeded with my day just fine.

I tend to agree with you, that perhaps the diabetes (which I figure I've had for about 6 years) had caused a distortion that masked my need for glasses, and that getting my sugar right just shed a light on the issue with my eyes. Now I'm in a quandry though, because I really, really don't want to wear glasses, but then again I absolutely cannot go on like this and trying to almost completely avoid carbs...since I don't eat meat, that pretty much means beans or veggie meats made of beans, carbs and fats - so carbs are a huge part of quantity of foods I eat.

I'm setting up an appointment to go back to my doctor to see what he suggests next. Thanks again for your reply and the info you provided!

·
Registered
221 Posts
@moon..Thanks for the info. Its really worth writing thesis, diabetis I mean! Never ending reactions and no similarities anywhere. Its all llike look before you leap i.e if you can really look in this case . I wonder what ever they did in olden days! Did they know about diatetis? I know Ayuweda, Indian medicine has mentioned a lot on this, lots of herbs, powders were used to control it. I ve just had my eye tests, all ok for now.

·
Registered
241 Posts
Vision

If you don't mind, may I ask what caused your sugar to go that high? I've hit 600 several times, through my own fault. My vision went back to normal after about a month or maybe a little bit longer by keeping tight control of my carb intake.

·
Registered
156 Posts
I remember my vision was perfect when I was high. But when I went too high that's when it got crazy. Up close I could see perfectly, but distance vision was blurry.
Then when I got my BG's down everything was a blur. So much so I went to buy those cheap drug store glasses...But it took my vision all of two weeks to right itself. I actually think I am better than 20/20 now that my Blood sugars are under control.

·
Registered
9 Posts
The eye vision changes once the blood glucose level goes high, that is the eye lens swells due to high level of blood glucose. So the vision become blur for some and vision become clear for few (mostly for people with farsightedness).

Once you controlled your blood glucose then automatically you eye returns to the normal.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts