The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have recently been having vision problems. I was having a bout with high blood sugar recently and it seemed like my vision was okay but, now since my blood sugar is under control my vision is blurred. Is this normal?

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
It can be normal especially when your bg's were high and they came down to a normal level. Your body needs to adjust and sometimes it will affect your vision. If it continues, I would certainly go the opthalmologist (sp?) to make sure nothing else is going on.

·
Registered
86 Posts
!

I have recently been having vision problems. I was having a bout with high blood sugar recently and it seemed like my vision was okay but, now since my blood sugar is under control my vision is blurred. Is this normal?
Same thing happened to me; the week after diagnosis. It was so weird, my vision seemed to actually worsen. It got really wonky and blurry. It was pretty scary. Then after about a week or so, with sustained lower blood sugar, it returned to normal. Give it some time, but definitely make an appointment to see an optometrist within the next month, even when your vision improves.

Hang in there!

·
Inactive Member
5,318 Posts
twoputtpar said:
Same thing happened to me; the week after diagnosis. It was so weird, my vision seemed to actually worsen. It got really wonky and blurry. It was pretty scary. Then after about a week or so, with sustained lower blood sugar, it returned to normal. Give it some time, but definitely make an appointment to see an optometrist within the next month, even when your vision improves.

Hang in there!
Good advice but I was told that most optometrists won't see a new DX diabetic for three months for just this reason. They want to make sure you've started getting BG under control and vision issues have begun to clear. I had to wait for almost four. Glad I did. My scrips now put me at 20/15 lol

Sent from my iPhone

·
Registered
86 Posts
Good advice but I was told that most optometrists won't see a new DX diabetic for three months for just this reason. They want to make sure you've started getting BG under control and vision issues have begun to clear. I had to wait for almost four. Glad I did. My scrips now put me at 20/15 lol

Sent from my iPhone
Come to think of it, I made my optometrist appointment and didn't tell them about my Dx ... I wonder if they'd have deferred a couple of more months had I mentioned it. Thankfully my vision cleared up before the appointment, which was nice. Optometrist said I had no signs of any permanent damage and that my vision had returned to 20/20, which was nice. Finally some good news from a Doctor!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts