The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Someone just posted on FB ... I just ate two snickers bars b./c I could not find my apple. They are about the same, right?

I tried not to reply. I watched the scroll among many "diet-inclined" women, making silly comments justifying mass snickers consumption. Finally I posted ... not if you test your blood sugar. And crept quietly away from FB.

I could not say nothing. And apparently what I did say, nobody read anyhow. Well at least I am not being jumped on as a wet blanket.

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
My S-N-L's new step father has a very large kettle of an IR stomach. He is D and his new wife my S-N-L's mother is also D and just had a quadruple by-pass.

This very round individual was proud of the fact that he was able to eat a whole dozen powdered sugar doughnuts and keep his BG level below 180 at 2 hrs, you got to love it. He is on Lantus.

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
261 Posts
Someone just posted on FB ... I just ate two snickers bars b./c I could not find my apple. They are about the same, right?

I tried not to reply. I watched the scroll among many "diet-inclined" women, making silly comments justifying mass snickers consumption. Finally I posted ... not if you test your blood sugar. And crept quietly away from FB.

I could not say nothing. And apparently what I did say, nobody read anyhow. Well at least I am not being jumped on as a wet blanket.
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
261 Posts
My S-N-L's new step father has a very large kettle of an IR stomach. He is D and his new wife my S-N-L's mother is also D and just had a quadruple by-pass.

This very round individual was proud of the fact that he was able to eat a whole dozen powdered sugar doughnuts and keep his BG level below 180 at 2 hrs, you got to love it. He is on Lantus.
:doh::doh::doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
460 Posts
I have a co-worker to whom I explained that orange juice has as much sugar as a cola... he (good-naturedly) kids me about this and uses it as an excuse to drink cola because "I told him it is just as healthy as OJ" :frusty: but I usually get the last laugh by reminding him that his Wife will not allow him to eat bacon due to his high cholesterol level :D

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It's amazing how the brain will justify everything. I do think diets like the Weight Watchers Program that just count points and don't differentiate between healthy points and unhealthy points encourage this kind of thinking. Of course on a LC diet both the apple and Snickers would be bad choices, LOL. You're glad I didn't post on that page.

Reactions: Shalynne and foxl

·
Registered
930 Posts
Bad Day <rant>

Could we have three or more different preferred end points conflicting here?

Live the longest but with most of the painful/blinding/demobilizing complications. (avoid all those toxic so called medications)

Live almost as long but without most of the complications. (basal/bolus insulin).

As long as Metformin is working for me, I am sticking with Metformin plus diet.

Live fast, die young, (I live for today, screw tomorrow).

I have faith in God, Big Pharma, and my AMA doctor because I am not of the Satanic Materialistic belief in logic {if the Pope (or my doctor) says the world is flat, then the world is flat, period}.

Other

Me? I would rather be dead than blind in a wheel chair with painful neuropathy and gastroparesis, so I choose basal/bolus insulin. Also, I am 69 and I do not see many diabetics posting past the age of 75, could that be a sign?

Note: poorly worded perhaps, I did not spend a great deal of time writing this.

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
One of my sond works together with a young man early in his twenties, and this young man is a type 1 since he was a child.
My son has learnt about diabetes together with me, and he told his friend how I avoid all the carbohydrate-bombs and in stead eat food that is both healthy and tasty.
The young man answered him that I am just a beginner, and when I get more safe on myself I would start eating properly and dont be so afraid of high doses insulin and I would see there is no need for testing my blood. :crazy:
He was actually trying to comfort my son and give him a hope that I will soon start to act normal and eat normal.:eek:hwell:
Yeah, I think I will start eat "normal" food with tons of carbs if pigs learn to fly :flypig:

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I'm with you optimist! Hubby and I ended up getting something to eat for dinner out tonight because we had too much to do with yard work and some shopping and errands to cook dinner tonight. We ended up getting gyros at a local greek restaurant. I told hubby to order mine without the pita because, let's face it, no sense wasting food when I can't eat it right? The cook looked at him weird, but my hubby explained I was diabetic and cannot handle the bread. So he gave me the meat, lettuce, tomatoes and sauce in a take home box. Worked just fine for me! I'm so glad I have a spouse who has been the gambit with me and understands that eating that pita is equal to eating poison for me. But, on the flip side, I cannot consciously waste food because I can't eat it, so why include it at all right?

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
These were not diabetics, but a bunch of 20- and 30-something women with masters degrees.

I hate carb-evangelizing, but felt like someone needed to hint at SOMETHING. Otherwise they would go to the health fair, take the ADA risk quiz, and sail on thinking all is well! We have an upcoming health fair, and I am tempted to go and take the quiz, then exclaim loudly enough, "But ... I HAVE Diabetes! For all within earshot." Because ... I passed with flying colors! They also test random blood sugars. NOT A1cs ... GAH.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I recently took an online diabetes-risk test.

Hey, turns out I have a 16% chance of developing diabetes! (...whew ... and to think I was worried ...)

If it weren't for those pesky spikes ...

(Snickers = Apples = OK? Really???!!!)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts