The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone. I am awaiting for my test reults from my doctor. I couldn't get in until Tuesday. Anyway I went in to see my doctor my a normal routine visit and I just mentioned that when I was pregnant 10 years ago I was diagnosed as hypoglycemic and I was telling him that I was having the shakes and feel like I am starving and all that stuff. Well he said for me to have an A1C test and a 3 hour glucose tolerance test. I did that and then went on vacation and didn't think much about it. My parents both died from diabetes complications - my dad was on dialysis and died in his sleep and my mom died from a stroke. I am 34 years old. Even my dog is diabetic. I check her blood sugar twice a day and give her two shots a day before she eats. Anyway, I just thought I would check mine before awaiting my test results so I can see what is going on. Day 1 - 157 fasting, 254 one hour after breakfast, 245 two hours after breakfast, and 157 three hours after breakfast. The rest of the day stayed in the normal range (after lunch because I didn't check after dinner). The next day - 120 fasting, 234 one hour after breakfast, 227 two hours after breakfast, and 135 by hour 3. This morning my fasting was 111. Now that I saw these numbers I am really nervous. What is your opinion? Thank you for your time.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Those look like seriously diabetic numbers to me. Might as well start cutting those carbs. Do you need to lose weight? Glad you posted and hope to hear from you as your journey down the road we're on continues. Welcome to the club you hoped to never join. You are being smart to check in so quickly!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am over weight. I need to lose about 80 pounds. I just now did another test and I haven't eaten in 5 hours. It shows 141. Is 141 bad for not eating in 5 hours? I am so confused. I just want to get this doctor appointment over with. I am tired a lot. I take a nap just about every day after work. And they are not quick naps. They are 2 - 3 hour naps. Any advise anyone can give me is greatly appriciated. I am planning on letting my doctor know on Tuesday about my reading I took after my meals. I am so nervous about this.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
It's not great, but you are not in immediate danger. No doubt it's been higher in the past, and did you test before and at 1 hr? Do you have a library where you can get Dr. Bernstein's book "Diabetes Solution" or a copy of Dr. Atkin's book? They both advocate low carbs for controlling blood sugar. There are also web sites for both if you will google for them. Your doctor may well put you on metformin at least. Be wise and ask him for the ER form of it.

I eat 30+ carbs a day, but went as low at 20 until I reached my goal and now I'm trying to add some and watch my BG to see how many I can eat and stay within
70-130 at all times. It took me about 8 months to lose 50 lbs. but now I find I don't need drugs to maintain levels like that.

You should be testing at least 6 times a day to see what your #s are first thing, after B'fast one hr. then before lunch, after lunch 1 hr, before dinner, 1 hr, then bedtime at a minimum. More frequent tests will tell you more about how you are doing.

Hang in there!

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Hi Sandra, welcome to the forum. This place has been a rock for me, packed with information and support. Stay close, and you'll see what I mean.

A great place to start for information, and a bible of sorts for me and many others, is Blood Sugar 101 - the information is accessible, comprehensive when we're starting out, and backed by cited studies.

Your numbers are dangerous in the long run. Mine were a lot higher but I had great success bringing them down with medication and diet. You can too. No need to panic, but certainly time for action.

Cutting out carbs turned my health on its head, or rather started righting it! My blood glucose numbers plummeted, and I lost weight. So it's time to be glad you've got a wake-up call and will be getting in better health!

Glad you're here -

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Here is the update to my doctor's appointment. My A1C test came back 6.3%. He said for right now we will try to control it with diet. I will have more blood work in 3 months to see if anything changed. If it goes up he will probably put me on medication. He said that I do have diabetes and even though I knew he would say that it still kind of shocked me. I have to eat 6 small meals a day and I have no idea how I am going to do that. I sure hope I can get this under control by my next appointment and keep going down the right path. Thank you all very much for the input and advise. I am sure I will be checking in here all the time.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You're in a good place to get a strong grip on this, Sandra. Of course we're delighted that you'll be coming back often! ;)

You prob'ly know from our posts that we emphasize low-carbing. The recipes board has some remarkable dishes you can try & the what's for dinner board lets you see how we're eating from day to day. You & your meter will be able to plot the course of your meals by testing how specific foods affect your BG levels, and whether they should be avoided or restricted.

It does help to eat frequent small meals (or three meals & a coupla/three snacks) because if we go too long without eating, that can cause high BG too. Just go one step at a time, ask us all the questions you want, and it won't be long before you have a workable routine going which is individually tailored to you alone.

·
Registered
21 Posts
...Even my dog is diabetic. I check her blood sugar twice a day...I just thought I would check mine before awaiting my test results...
Just out of curiosity, did you check your blood sugar using the meter you use for the dog? Veterinary glucose meters are not calibrated for humans and won't give correct numbers. Similarly, human meters won't give the right numbers for your dog either.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks Shanny. I will be checking into that. I guess I need to go grocery shopping for some healthier stuff too.

Boo, I use a human glucometer for my dog. She even gets human insulin. That is what my veterinary said to do and have been doing it for 3 years now. I wouldn't use a veterinary meter on myself. That would just feel weird. LOL!

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, Sandra!

Your doc did a Good Thing by recommending several small meals a day. Like the others, I can vouch for even more Good Things from low-carb.

Best of all, it sounds like you're catching it in time to avoid the really bad stuff. Your numbers are definitely diabetic, but not catastrophic.

I, too, learned how to shoot insulin on my dog, years before I got my own diagnosis! My boy got human insulin, too; but I don't think meters were widely available for human or beast back then.

When my turn came, my nurse-educator was most impressed with my needle-handling technique ... except for the part where I tried to grab the scruff of my neck.

Diabetes rules my family, too. I am so sorry to hear about your parents. But I believe we are very fortunate in having better tools today, so we have a good chance of managing the D before it manages us.

Reactions: sandraj
1 - 10 of 10 Posts