The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm curious if any of you have to 'wait' a long while each time you go to the Dr. office? This morning my appointment was for 9:00 a.m. and I waited 45 min in the waiting room and another 20 minutes in the exam room. Add that to the interviews by two 'student' doctors and I got out of the office at 11:45 a.m. It isn't a lot of fun to sit and wait so long. I felt like getting up and leaving about 30 minutes into my 'waiting' period.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Sounds like you use an academic medical center ... not unusual for those long waits! Unfortunately.

I go to a private teaching hospital, but rarely wait, for my endo or my internist.

·
Registered
165 Posts
my doc used to be really bad would have to wait at least 1 hour sometimes 2hrs. BUT he is great and takes his time and talks w/ you and answers any and all questions.

they have improved his scheduling now and the wait time is usually less than 30minutes and he still has time to talk

·
Registered
55 Posts
Strawberry said:
I'm curious if any of you have to 'wait' a long while each time you go to the Dr. office? This morning my appointment was for 9:00 a.m. and I waited 45 min in the waiting room and another 20 minutes in the exam room. Add that to the interviews by two 'student' doctors and I got out of the office at 11:45 a.m. It isn't a lot of fun to sit and wait so long. I felt like getting up and leaving about 30 minutes into my 'waiting' period.
We have the same problem. We even have to wait unto 30 min for blood work.

·
Registered
299 Posts
I always try to get the first appointment of the day - before something throws the schedule off. Seems to work pretty well.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Something I learned a long time ago - many doctors triple book each time slot, just in case someone doesn't get to the appointment. Can't have any down time, you know. Might lose a buck or two.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Vicky's trick works pretty well for us too, and if you can't get the first slot in the morning, try for the first slot after lunch.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I always try to get the first appointment of the day - before something throws the schedule off. Seems to work pretty well.
That works pretty good for me too. I will even postpone an appointment a week or so out to get the an earlier one.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My appointment today was the first one of the day, plus I made it on a Wednesday which is the day she works only until noon. One time I went on a Friday at 1:00 and got out of there just after 5:00 p.m.

foxl - you are right, I do use the academic medical center where I may or may not have student (s) doctors involved in the appointment. I don't know if I have the right to decline seeing a student, but I kind of think I don't. I know they have to learn somehow, but I had a migraine this morning and all I could think of was getting out of there and going home. I don't think they realize that pain changes personality. I felt really grumpy and was not myself.

·
Registered
221 Posts
We have the same problem. We even have to wait unto 30 min for blood work.
If you go to a large hospital this happens regularly. My doc has no secretary so he fixes his own appointments. Diagnostics are a different scene altogether, we have to wait for the reports usually, two days wasted for those totally:rolleyes:

·
Registered
96 Posts
At my local GPs surgery ,they're pretty goodat getting you in, But at local hospital the consultants are pretty dire usually 1hr to 90 min late worst was 16:50 for a 15:00 appointment. Timekeeping is obviosly not taught in med schools!

·
Registered
161 Posts
I guess I am Lucky! Not only are my appointments usually on time... BUT my Doctor is sooooooo Sexy it makes me happy I am Diabetic! I will admit I always get there 30 minutes early and I explain that to them on my first visit so they know that if they are light for the earlier appointment they can always take me... WHY??? because if I get there at 9 for a 9:30 and you get there at 9:05 for a 9... GUESS WHO THE DOCTOR WILL SEE FIRST :)? A lot of times if you are not there 15 minutes early... I still get seen first. I also tend to have all of my questions or concerns written down and have everything prepared... The key is have it written down... I have seen my Endo 3 times now and she said that she usually sees her patients every 2 months for about a year... After looking at my control and structure she has said she will see me in a year... I opted for the 6 month appointment instead. I guess I am saying the key to being seen on time for me is be early... Be prepared... and tell them what you want or need.... Example is the migraine- I would have gotten a shot of Demerol right there while in the office. If I need to wait there for the thirty minutes they want to watch you why not try to get the shot

1 - 12 of 12 Posts