The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I do use the Waden Farm products. The jams are OK. I'm not crazy about the consistency. It reminds me of jello and it is hard to spread. I usually buy them at Netrition. I also buy the WF strawberry and caramel syrups. They are good on Low Carb ice cream or on low carb waffles that I make. The BBQ sauces are great as well as some of the salad dressings.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So... I tried the Smuckers SF jam/jelly... and they were HORRIBLE. :( Please tell me the WF ones are better?
I have thought about trying Walden Farms but I know that I didn't like the sugar free Smuckers, so I think Walden Farms can't be much better. They try really hard to make no calorie foods and some just don't taste that well. Let us know if you try it..:):)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I just posted a recipe for a fruit spread in "Recipes" - give it a whirl! ("the least expensive low carb 'preserves' you'll ever find")

Jen

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
So... I tried the Smuckers SF jam/jelly... and they were HORRIBLE. :( Please tell me the WF ones are better?
I initially hated them, now I eat 'em anyway, rofl. But I only have 1tsp at a time because they're so freaking sweet.

I buy enough fresh fruit I was thinking of trying to make my own, just don't know how... I'll try jen's concoction and see how that is, thanks Jen :)

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I buy enough fresh fruit I was thinking of trying to make my own, just don't know how...
It's very easy. I used to make freezer jam - and thought since I had never had a non-sugar sweetener I liked, that I had no options. Enter erythritol! That stuff is so great, and I think it will work well making jam. All you need is some pectin, fruit, and water. And containers.

There will be a recipe with the pectin, but there are several types of pectins. There's one that doesn't require sugar for it to set up, so you could use whatever sweetener. But one could make a syrup with a pectin that wouldn't set up as jam w/out sugar.

Basically you mash the fruit, add the sweetener, later add the dissolved pectin, put in containers, voila. You'd want to use small containers for freezing because without the sugar to preserve it will go bad quickly.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts