The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's everyone's thoughts on walking times. I've been walking to loose weight and typically go after lunch and walk for 30 minutes. Most of what I've seen online says this is the way to do it but some say to walk before eating.

I know your burning calories either way but has anyone seen a difference before/after. I could see if affecting blood sugar more than anything but I may be wrong. May have to do some testing.

Thanks

·
Registered
1,034 Posts
I have had to shelf my walking because of my severe GERD. I saw about a 4-5 point difference walking after meals from when I was doing that to now. That, to me, is significant. I wear a Fitbit, so tracking my steps to 10K was very helpful. I plan to get back on my treadmill tonight for the first time in 4 weeks. I'll walk here at work this afternoon, too.

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to try walking before eating today at lunch and see if there's any impact. I know by fluctuates but I'm having close to the same meal I usually have at lunch so I'll see if there's any noticeable impact.

·
Registered
1,288 Posts
A 4 minute high intensive interval bike or any other exercise one hour after eating will lower the postprandial spike. It works for me.

Walking after Dinner More Effective than Pre-Dinner Exercise in Type 2’s

Walking after Dinner More Effective than Pre-Dinner Exercise in Type 2’s

Worried about type 2 diabetes? Walk after every meal

http://www.healthline.com/health-news/aging-walking-after-meals-to-control-blood-sugar-spikes-061213

Worried about type 2 diabetes? Walk after every meal

·
Banned
164 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Just checked my bs and it doesn't appear walking before I ate lunch affected my reading much (today at least). It was 103 and has been around this for the past week regardless if I walked or not after lunch.

·
Registered
172 Posts
Unless I am mistaken, the op is walking to lose weight. If this is the case, don't rely on exercise to lose weight. Exercising will provide other benefits, but, unless you are a long distance athlete, diet is the main avenue for fat loss. I exercise for cardio health and well being. My diet and calorie deficit for weight loss.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Eating to keep BG under 140 and fasting at under 100 is all it takes + high fat removes the need to count calories and weight just falls off with out calorie restriction.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts