The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A while back my BGL was 168 two hours after dinner. I went for a brisk 30 minute walk, checked again, and it had gone down to 106.

I was astonished! Who in their right mind could have imagined that exercise might be good for a person?!? Not me anyway...

Now I guess I'll have to do it on a regular basis :(

btw: off topic, I know - but as of today I have 22 years Clean & Sober!

--------------------------------------------------
Diagnosed type-2 October 2012 with A1c 10.8

·
Registered
84 Posts
Only if I eat carbs, especially rice. Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii and had a sushi dinner with rolls made with rice and also several orders of Nigiri sushi. At one hour, 234!!! Whoa. And sushi is my favorite. Sashimi is good but I like the rice. No more.

Had a little pasta in my dinner tonight to see what it did. Two hours - 134.

I've got to walk 30 min a day to keep my FBG down (101 this am) but the weather here in the far Northwest makes it difficult. Keep on walking!

·
Diabetic
2,680 Posts
I've used exercise to bring down my BG quite a lot. I therefore always workout only after eating something. If I do it on an empty stomach my BG shoots up. I try maintaining lower glycogen reserves but fail sometimes.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Only if I eat carbs, especially rice. Just got back from 2 weeks in Hawaii and had a sushi dinner with rolls made with rice and also several orders of Nigiri sushi. At one hour, 234!!! Whoa. And sushi is my favorite. Sashimi is good but I like the rice. No more.

Had a little pasta in my dinner tonight to see what it did. Two hours - 134.

I've got to walk 30 min a day to keep my FBG down (101 this am) but the weather here in the far Northwest makes it difficult. Keep on walking!
Yikes - I'll remember to keep rice off my plate!

I'm in San Diego so don't have your weather problems. No excuses for my not getting out and walking.

Good luck managing your levels! :)

·
Registered
640 Posts
Yes, congrats on the 22 years! What an accomplishment!

Regarding exercise, yes, it usually drops mine at first, then it goes up. For some interesting numbers, see my post (#14) here:

http://www.diabetesforum.com/diabetes-forum-lounge/12249-exercise-bg-spikes-2.html

I've since found that I need to eat first, then go for my walk. If I don't plan on really pushing it, I can get by with a snack of about 8 carbs.

·
Registered
355 Posts
A while back my BGL was 168 two hours after dinner. I went for a brisk 30 minute walk, checked again, and it had gone down to 106.

I was astonished! Who in their right mind could have imagined that exercise might be good for a person?!? Not me anyway...

Now I guess I'll have to do it on a regular basis :(

btw: off topic, I know - but as of today I have 22 years Clean & Sober!

--------------------------------------------------
Diagnosed type-2 October 2012 with A1c 10.8

I don't have much to say! I just wanted to say...
CONGRATS ON 22 CLEAN AND SOBER!

Reactions: Mark and two Cats

·
Registered
561 Posts
I try not to use exercise to lower my blood sugar, as it encourages me to cheat on my diet. :) That being said, I have used it on holidays and special occasions. I don't drop anywhere near as much as you do, but I can go down 10-20 points. I find that it takes several hours, though. When I get back from exercising, my BG is about the same as it was when I started.

·
Registered
200 Posts
I have used exercise to get mine down and I think if I can get on a regular schedule it would help my higher fasting # as well. I do eat before just so I can try and avoid that liver dump and also because I tend to have time right before dinner and can feel kind of yucky if I don't have a snack before.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts