The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Instead of Janumet, I would like to try Metformin + basal insulin or Metformin + Arcabose + basal insulin. What do you all think of this combo? I hear to many negatives with Januvia...

Anyone else on this combo? How is this working for you?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sounds like a wise choice! Metformin and insulin are the best and safest meds. They help the pancreas to do its old job, while other meds push the pancreas, and make it wear out sooner.

I'm a Type 2, and I use insulin only. Contrary to myth, it will not let me eat carbs (it cannot match the timing of insulin from a working pancreas) ... but I love the stuff!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Sounds like a wise choice! Metformin and insulin are the best and safest meds. They help the pancreas to do its old job, while other meds push the pancreas, and make it wear out sooner.

I'm a Type 2, and I use insulin only. Contrary to myth, it will not let me eat carbs (it cannot match the timing of insulin from a working pancreas) ... but I love the stuff!
Did you suggest this to your Dr.? Or did he/she decide for you? Have you always been on insulin? How much does a person need, how often? Do you use a pump or pen or syringe? Is there weight gain with insulin alone?

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
By the time I was diagnosed, things had progressed quite far, so I was put on insulin immediately (and I was squawking and whining all the way).

I use an old-fashioned syringe and two types of insulin: Basal (Humulin N) and Rapid (Humalog). Basal is long-lasting, and rapid is used primarily to prevent/correct spikes. That combo is fairly standard.

Dosage amounts vary from one person to the next. For safety reasons, docs will usually start with a low dose, so increases can be expected in the early weeks/months.

Your doc may also start you on a sliding-scale dosing method for rapid. Carb counting is a better method by far, albeit harder for a doc to teach.

I use basal twice a day. When I stick to a low-carb, high-fat way of eating, I rarely need to use rapid at all.

Haven't felt the need to ask about Metformin, so I've never taken it. I do know that, once again, doses vary and docs tend to start low.

Reactions: Nanlou1964

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
By the time I was diagnosed, things had progressed quite far, so I was put on insulin immediately (and I was squawking and whining all the way).

I use an old-fashioned syringe and two types of insulin: Basal (Humulin N) and Rapid (Humalog). Basal is long-lasting, and rapid is used primarily to prevent/correct spikes. That combo is fairly standard.

Dosage amounts vary from one person to the next. For safety reasons, docs will usually start with a low dose, so increases can be expected in the early weeks/months.

Your doc may also start you on a sliding-scale dosing method for rapid. Carb counting is a better method by far, albeit harder for a doc to teach.

I use basal twice a day. When I stick to a low-carb, high-fat way of eating, I rarely need to use rapid at all.

Haven't felt the need to ask about Metformin, so I've never taken it. I do know that, once again, doses vary and docs tend to start low.
Thank you very much, one more question if ok, when you say things progressed quite far, may I ask how far? When I was diagnosed, my fasting bgl was 16, after eating was low 20's. Maybe he should of started me on insulin, instead of Metformin 2000mg? Many thanks again.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
My A1c was 13.5, my BGL was 513, and I was in DKA.

For better or worse, the numbers that different docs use for diagnostics and prescriptions also vary wildly. Presence or absence of DKA may also be a factor.

You may be prescribed Metformin only, or insulin only, or both. Best I can advise is to ask about those two meds, and to refuse other meds.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts