The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all, just wanted to introduce myself.

I was diagnosed in 2008 after routine lab work. I had a physical 2 yrs earlier so I don't know what happened in the meantime, LOL. I had my physical and went to the lab to have blood drawn. 2 days later the nurse called me and said my doc wanted to call in some meds at my pharmacy because it looked like I had diabetes and scheduled me another appointment for a week later.

The labs showed me as having a fasting bs of 363 and an A1c of 13.9%!! I was terrified of what was happening to me! I went straight to the pharmacy and picked up my script for 1000mg metformin and 2mg glimepiride to take each day while I waited a week to see my doc again who at that time gave me a meter, crash course on how to use it and scheduled an appointment with a dietician and diabetes classes. I am happy to say that 3 months later my A1c was down to 7.1%

All I can say, but you all already know that life was forever changed, but not as bad as I thought. Being from the south, I sure miss my sweet tea! LOL.

I have been quitely gathering all kinds of good information and advice from reading the posts on the forum and I hope I can contribute. What a warm and friendly place!!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I was diagnosed in 2008 after routine lab work. I had a physical 2 yrs earlier so I don't know what happened in the meantime, LOL. I had my physical and went to the lab to have blood drawn. 2 days later the nurse called me and said my doc wanted to call in some meds at my pharmacy because it looked like I had diabetes and scheduled me another appointment for a week later.

The labs showed me as having a fasting bs of 363 and an A1c of 13.9%!! I was terrified of what was happening to me! I went straight to the pharmacy and picked up my script for 1000mg metformin and 2mg glimepiride to take each day while I waited a week to see my doc again who at that time gave me a meter, crash course on how to use it and scheduled an appointment with a dietician and diabetes classes. I am happy to say that 3 months later my A1c was down to 7.1%

All I can say, but you all already know that life was forever changed, but not as bad as I thought. Being from the south, I sure miss my sweet tea! LOL.

I have been quitely gathering all kinds of good information and advice from reading the posts on the forum and I hope I can contribute. What a warm and friendly place!!
:welcome: Glad to have you as a member. You will learn so much from being a part of the forum. Even the smallest tidbit of info can really help you. You really turned your blood sugar readings around to an acceptable level. Good job! Come and visit often!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
And we're delighted to have you, jsntay. You working that fast getting your numbers under control, tells me that you have some good advice to share too!

It IS a life-changing event, but not usually such a bad one. Many of us needed a kick in the pants to start eating better & moving faster! heheh! (I've mastered the "eating better" part . . . not so sure I'm moving (rocking :D) any faster yet . . .
)

My diagnosis came with a routine checkup too. Since I was getting annual bloodwork done, my doc & I both know I wasn't showing elevated FBG a year earlier, so . . . c'est la vie, I guess, eh? ;)

Oh btw . . . Breeze has worked out a pretty good sweetener combination for her beverages . . . maybe it would work with your tea. I'm a Cornhusker myself, but married to a Missourian who really likes his sweet tea!

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello and welcome! It seems that you are doing very well. Congratulations! Your medicines are working very well so you must be a Type 2 diabetic. I have been Type 1 for 64 years and I am doing very well too. If we have good control we can have long, healthy lives.

I love sweet tea too. I use "Sweet and Low" in the little pink packets to sweeten my tea. If it is too bitter, try Splenda.

Ask all the questions you want. There are several experienced Type 2 diabetics here who will answer your questions.

Richard

·
Registered
1,590 Posts

Wow! Awesome job getting that A1c down. Welcome to the forum...hope you will stick around and chat with us. I have learned so many tips and tricks here and people are super friendly. I am feeling your pain about the sweet tea...I do love it...but not willing to have to use up my carbs for it. I am from the south too...and you know how it is here, we fry everything and drown it in gravy! You have to get kind of creative to occasionally be able to enjoy the one occasional indulgence :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I am from the south too...and you know how it is here, we fry everything and drown it in gravy! You have to get kind of creative to occasionally be able to enjoy the one occasional indulgence :)
OMG HUSH! Yer killin' me here! Chicken fried steak swimming in milk gravy? Breaded pork chops and THAT splendid gravy . . . aarrgghhh!

Guess I'll bread my CFS with crushed pork rinds & make gravy with diluted cream . . . that oughta work, right? Bet I haven't had one of those in nearly a year . . . I miss my CFS!

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
OMG HUSH! Yer killin' me here! Chicken fried steak swimming in milk gravy? Breaded pork chops and THAT splendid gravy . . . aarrgghhh!

Guess I'll bread my CFS with crushed pork rinds & make gravy with diluted cream . . . that oughta work, right? Bet I haven't had one of those in nearly a year . . . I miss my CFS!
Best chicken fried steak in this whole country is found in Texas ya know? :) double battered....extra gravy to drag those fries through....*drool*

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Breading with crushed pork rinds? How does that work? How does it taste? I would never have thought of that!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I've tried crushed pork rinds (use the hot/spicy ones) and I've used almond flour . . . it all makes pretty good breading if you dry the meat first, then dredge in beaten egg & then into the breading. Doesn't stick QUITE as good as flour/bread crumbs, but just be a little more gentle when you're pokin' 'em around the skillet! :D

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Thanks! I am going to try that.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How interesting! I love pork rinds. I am going to try it on chicken breasts and bake them in the oven.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Welcome, jsntay!

Sometimes, I use buttermilk instead of eggs & I've had pretty good luck dredging meat in soy flour. Only 8g of carbs in 1/4 cup. I like the texture!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome, jsntay!

Sometimes, I use buttermilk instead of eggs & I've had pretty good luck dredging meat in soy flour. Only 8g of carbs in 1/4 cup. I like the texture!
Thanks for the reminder, goldengirl - good to know. I've been meaning to try soy flour, and just keep forgetting about it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts