The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Every once in a while there is a need for instant comfort - this will do it. Originally I found a Mug Cake recipe on Facebook but have been unable to make it since Dx as it had the evil flour in it. Imagine my delight whilst trawling the web to find an adaptable replacement :D

3-MINUTE (FLOURLESS and SUGARLESS CHOCOLATE) MUG CAKE
1 tablespoon oil/melted butter ...thinks... this could be a good use for Coconut Oil maybe??
2 tablespoons cocoa
Tiny pinch salt, optional
1 egg
½ tspn vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a small microwaveable bowl microwave the butter for about 15-20 seconds on HIGH until completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and pinch salt until smooth. Whisk in the egg until well blended then whisk in the remaining ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 sec. (Adjust to suit your device) Cool completely or serve warm and slightly gooey...with cream is nice.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Oh and this makes one big/two small portion(s) so you don't have to deal with temptation for days on end :p

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I like that one -- no flax OR almond meal!

Also google low carb muffin in a minute, for the flax or almond versions:

1 T cocoa
3 T flaxmeal
1 egg
1 TBS splenda syrup
1/2 tsp baking powder
1 T CO or butter ...
may sub almond meal or CO flour for part of all of flaxmeal.

But the 2T cocoa only sounds WONDERFUL!

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
Every once in a while there is a need for instant comfort - this will do it. Originally I found a Mug Cake recipe on Facebook but have been unable to make it since Dx as it had the evil flour in it. Imagine my delight whilst trawling the web to find an adaptable replacement :D

3-MINUTE (FLOURLESS and SUGARLESS CHOCOLATE) MUG CAKE
1 tablespoon oil/melted butter ...thinks... this could be a good use for Coconut Oil maybe??
2 tablespoons cocoa
Tiny pinch salt, optional
1 egg
½ tspn vanilla extract
2 tablespoons Splenda
1 tablespoon heavy cream

In a small microwaveable bowl microwave the butter for about 15-20 seconds on HIGH until completely melted. Whisk in the cocoa and pinch salt until smooth. Whisk in the egg until well blended then whisk in the remaining ingredients until you have a smooth batter. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute 30 sec. (Adjust to suit your device) Cool completely or serve warm and slightly gooey...with cream is nice.
This sounds like an experiment waiting to happen. And since I just happen to have a bottle of coconut oil sitting on my shelf, I'll just have to put it to good use. And really, what better use is there than something chocolatey and gooey??

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
This sounds perfectly YUMMY! Got all the ingredients...just found this post hunting the 'food revolution' post with the video. Didn't find time to view it this week...

Any help out there?

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Does this get thick like a pudding. It sounds so good and gooey. Just what you need for a chocolate fix. I think I have all the ingredients, may make it for dessert tonight.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Depends on how long you nuke it for really, maybe worth checking it after a minute. Somewhere between a cake and a pudding...

Reactions: foxl and jwags

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Woohoo! This is a much more fun breakfast than boring old eggs. The cake came out cakey, I think I will nuke it for less time next time so that it's more pudding-like. I topped it with sweetened whipped cream and that is a worthwhile addition.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
It was delicious and better than many other treats, healthwise, but keep in mind, 2T cocoa = 6g available carb! Spiked me but I ate it close to dinner and definitely overindulged by that.:eek:

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
It was delicious and better than many other treats, healthwise, but keep in mind, 2T cocoa = 6g available carb! Spiked me but I ate it close to dinner and definitely overindulged by that.:eek:
So I'm looking at my cocoa powder (Rademaker Cocoa Dutch Processed). It says 5 g of carb per 2 Tbsp, 4 of which are fiber and 1 of sugar. Did I just luck out and accidentally buy a low carb cocoa powder or am I missing something in the whole "available carb" formula?

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
So I'm looking at my cocoa powder (Rademaker Cocoa Dutch Processed). It says 5 g of carb per 2 Tbsp, 4 of which are fiber and 1 of sugar. Did I just luck out and accidentally buy a low carb cocoa powder or am I missing something in the whole "available carb" formula?
WOWOWOW! I need to read labels on cocoa powder. Mine was just ol' Hershey's! Maybe I can find a lower-carb one???

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Hershey's do seem to load up with sugar or at least they do for the UK market? Green and Black's organic cocoa is approx. 2g carbs per tablespoon. I can live with that.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I just double checked the label. It says a serving is 10g and that is 2 Tsp. I wasn't sure what Tsp meant so I weighed out 2 tablespoons and it's 10g. So yup if the label isn't lying about the amount of fiber/sugar then it seems to be a better brand to go with than Hershey's.

I got this at peapod.com which usually only sells national brands so hopefully you can find this one in your area. Otherwise, maybe the difference is dutch processed vs normal cocoa powder? Just a guess.

1 - 20 of 59 Posts