The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi...I went on a fast for 5 days a few years ago and lost 42 pounds.My wife and kid are going away for a few days and I was considering it again.My knowledege of diabetes is pretty sparse but going by what I've seen on tv I could go temporarly blind? or worse?......mulling it over but thinking maybe not a good idea with type 2?.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I would think that could be very dangerous, Greg. Maybe someone else has a better idea. Are you on any drugs for diabetes? If so, I'd say a big NO, but what do I know?

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I'm with Pat in thinking it's not a great idea. The risk/benefit ratio is all out of whack in favor of not.

Starving isn't a weight-loss plan. What you lose would mostly be water weight, and if you stick to a reasonable diet you will lose weight safely and more effectively for the long term. While they're gone, what if you just ate as few carbs as possible? That would be a great diabetic diet, your pancreas would be happy, and I'm guessing you'd drop some weight. If you have significant weight to lose, for a diabetic low-carb is the safest way.

I went on some 10-day water fasts when I was in my 20's and exceptionally healthy - and look back on it as one of the craziest things I've ever done.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Our bodies work to keep us alive even when we are not eating. I did an all day fast once and my bgs kept climbing until they hit the low 200's and then went back and stabalized in the mid 130's. Your body will not let you starve. Any weight you lose during a fast will quickly be regained once you start eating again. I'm with the others, not a good idea. Some diabetics do intermittant fasting, but you need to watch your bgs very carefully. Are you on any meds?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
mulling it over but thinking maybe not a good idea with type 2?.
You're right, Greg . . . not a good idea for anyone - let alone a type 2 diabetic.

Why not try Atkins induction or some equally low-carb method for the time you're "batching"? You'll still lose weight, but you wouldn't be messing up your metabolism or stressing your body unnecessarily.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Many years ago, Mr. Gizmo had to be away for 3 days, so I decided to fast to lose weight, only drank water. I was in my late 20's and in good health, no diabets. After 3 days, as soon as I ate something, I bloated up like a ballon all over and ended up in the emergency room. Luckily, since I WAS in good health, they only sent me home with a warning. The doc said that was a very dangerous thing I did and never to do it again. I don't advise it for a healthy person, much less someone with Diabetes.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts