The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always wondered what it was that got me off my insulin. After being diagnosed almost two years ago now I changed my eating habits and started working out on a daily basis. As I started to lose weight I just got more hungry for exercise. I rode my bike almost every day riding 20 or miles at a time and burning 1 to 2000 calories at a time. I continued to eat properly. So I always wondered was it eating right or the exercise?

A few weeks I had to stop exercising due to a leg injury and ever since my Blood Sugar has gradually rising. I now have had 4 test over 120 so tonight I start my Lantus back. Ok I know it is not all exercise and still need to watch my eating habits and in fact probably even more closely now.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Sorry to hear about your leg injury. I hope you will feel better very soon. I have also wondered which is responsible for dramatic improvements - the food patterns or the exercise? IMHO - I think it is a combination of both.

·
Registered
709 Posts
The increase in your # shows just how big a part exercise played in your coming off insulin, im sure being back on insulin is only a temp necessity while you heal, can you tweak your diet further to compensate for lack of exercise or is there another form of exercise you can do in the interim perhaps swimming or upper body free weights etc?
I love my exercise time & the results it gives me & know how frustrating this down time must be for you, hopefully won't be too long until you are back peddling.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

Reactions: thcri

·
Registered
633 Posts
It is a known fact that exercise improves insulin sensitivity and the fewer carbs you eat the less insulin you need. So it is both. You would not have as much success if you were only one or the other as indicated when you had to stop exercising.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think the leg injury itself may cause inflammation which causes your body to produce stress hormones which cause liver to dump more glucose. I would imagine as your leg heals your bgs should lower back to normal.

Reactions: thcri

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I think the leg injury itself may cause inflammation which causes your body to produce stress hormones which cause liver to dump more glucose. I would imagine as your leg heals your bgs should lower back to normal.

That is a good thought!! I didn't think of the stress issue.

Yes it takes both, I don't think one or the other is the single reason for my success. I do have room to better my diet during this time until I can get back on the bike or running again. I have my bike on a trainer right now inside but let me tell you, pedaling a bike and not moving is boring.

I ate really good yesterday, last night I was over 120 and this morning I am still at 106. But I never ever had good morning numbers. I took 20 units of Lantus last night. I will back it down some tonight to probably like 18.

I think what is important is getting to know your own body. My results are different from everyone else and vice versa.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
One other thing. I posted a while back that the last time I was at the Dr.'s office they thought I might have been mis diagnosed. With this I don't believe I was mis diagnosed. I guess I just did a good job of keeping everything in line. So back to the work outs some how, some way.

Thanks to all here. It is a great place.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I like this thread.I've been exercising like heck and instead of my bg's going down my has went up.My diet has remain the same. Iwas puzzled before now I'm really don't get it.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I like this thread.I've been exercising like heck and instead of my bg's going down my has went up.My diet has remain the same. Iwas puzzled before now I'm really don't get it.
Going up when? During exercise, right after or just a continual increase over time? I have to make sure I eat carbs before and during my exercise or mine went up due to Liver Dumps. Just a thought.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Going up when? During exercise, right after or just a continual increase over time? I have to make sure I eat carbs before and during my exercise or mine went up due to Liver Dumps. Just a thought.
Sorry, The time I'm referring to is my morning wake-ups by evening I'm in the 70's or 80's.I'm wondering if I should increase my carb intake? My bike rides are not any certain time its just through out the day.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sorry, The time I'm referring to is my morning wake-ups by evening I'm in the 70's or 80's.I'm wondering if I should increase my carb intake? My bike rides are not any certain time its just through out the day.
Have a bedtime snack of something like cheese or nuts, if you worry about going low in the night, but I wouldn't go so far as to increase carbs.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Have a bedtime snack of something like cheese or nuts, if you worry about going low in the night, but I wouldn't go so far as to increase carbs.

I was on the understanding originally the increase was from the exercise. I do increase my carbs just prior to an exercise and if a longer exercise such as 20 miles or so the bike I will eat carbs during also. For Dawn Phenom no I would not.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Weight, diet and exercise can all play a big role in how much or if any insulin you need. The more overweight a person is, the more insulin they require. Exercise increases insulin sensitivity so you end up needing less insulin to have the same effect. For diet, carbs and to a lesser extent protein will raise BG levels. The more carbs you eat the more insulin you require. With everything considered your body is likely producing enough insulin to suffice, but take one of these out the equation and now you need more insulin to have the same effect, but your body isn't able to produce more or produce it fast enough. There are a lot of other things which effect how much insulin you need but weight/diet/exercise have a profound effect on insulin requirements.

Couple possibilities are you are going hypoglycemic while sleeping and your body is auto correcting itself, you are experiencing the dawn phenomenon (latest I've read is the possibility your liver deactivates insulin during this time) or a combination of both. Do you ever do a test in the middle of the night to see where your BG is at?

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks Mike:
I am not overwieght.I have tested some at night,2&3 am my #'s are usually on the way up by then 90's to 110. I'm afriad to eat any thing that late because that would be more like a 2 hr.pp then a true wake up number. It would seem the more I'd exercised the day before the higher my numbers would be in the morning.I do like the exercise as it actually has help me gain wieght. As of right now I'm right where I should be. It just my numbers in the morning has gone up also.

Reactions: Shanny
1 - 17 of 17 Posts