The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got home for the docs and must admit that I'm completely in shock, upset and am feeling completely overwhelmed...

Where to start!

I'm trying to read what I can on the internet and its a lot to take in.

I have plans to go out to breakfast with friends tomorrow, but im considering canceling because i can't figure out what I'd order.

I want to go food shopping, but I dont know what to buy!

I'm 28, have a busy lifestyle and feel like my world has been totally flipped upside down.

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's ok :) it's not the end of your life...just an alternate ending. Theres a lot to learn here and if you have questions trust me, they will be answered or have suggestions on what to do. Even if its not diabetic related. Tons of support, I wish you the best!

*Edit* don't cancel plans, you can't shut out the world. You own this, and if you just shut down then you let it win. It may take awhile but it is do able, just look through other posts. They are really inspiring

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Don't cancel your breakfast date, just order ham/bacon/sausage & eggs. Forget the toast/biscuits/hashbrowns/muffins. Protein & fats will be your friends from now on, along with your breakfast buddies! :D

Do your shopping and stock up on more protein & fats. Forget the bread/pasta/potatoes/rice/cereal/etc. And pick up a carb counter book so you can study up on the carb values & avoid the high-carb foods. Did your doc provide you with a meter? If not, pick up a meter/strips too, and start testing. One of our main mantras is "test, TEST, TEST!" ;) We can't control our blood sugars if we don't even know what they are, so . . . (test test test . . . :cool:)

This will get you started & you'll learn more as you prowl through our threads. This is doable & it gets easier - I promise!

I'm happy you found us & I thank you for joining us. Others will be along soon with better guidance than I have . . . just hang in there - we're here to help you. :hug:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
:welcome: to the forum!

I agree with the others - don't skip the breakfast, friends are important!

Like shanny said, order some bacon (or ham or sausage or steak) and eggs and SKIP any carbohydrate on the menu, as was suggested. Also, avoid the juice (coffee is usually OK).

There's some great info here, and I'd also suggest you head over to Blood Sugar 101 and do some reading there. One of the most important pages on that site for newly-diagnosed diabetics is "How to Lower your Blood Sugar" so be sure to give it a good read, it's GREAT advice.

We're glad you found us!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Oh, and since you mention grits in your name ... ?

I bought a bunch, after seeing them on an ADA menu and thinking, oh, YAY! After eating and testing the second packet of the instant ones, I GAVE UP and kissed my grits goodbye. They spiked me horribly.

Eat, test, eat a smaller portion, test again ... or give up the food.

This is called eating to your meter.

Welcome!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Welcome to DF. You shouldn't let Diabetes interfere with living your life. I still do all the things that I used to do, but I do them differently. I still go out to eat but I try to figure out what I am going to eat ahead of time. Sometimes I even eat before I go out so I am not starving. Eggs are usually a good choice but ask if they put pancake batter in their eggs to fluff them up. This is a common practice in restaurants. Usually if you stick to protein and fat you are ok. As far as educating yourself about diabetes check out Blood Sugar 101
It really helped me understand what I was dealing with.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you all for your kind words.

I went out this morning, and only made a couple of small adjustments and think I did fine.

It really came a shock to me and my first inclination was to blame myself, but after doing some research on the genetics involved, and understanding that my dad, his sister and their father all had it, it made me feel a lot better.

I understand that this is totally manageable.

My one worry is that I'm on the go a lot. working late, then straight out for networking events, etc. I'm used to eating on the go, both Breakfast and Dinner, so if anyone has some tips for quick eats on the go, it would be much appreciated.

Thanks again everyone. I'm glad i found this site.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
keep your meals as simple as possible when you are on the go.
there's no need for fancy.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Buy a small paperback Carb counting Guide. I got mine at the grocery store but they are available at CalorieKing - Diet and weight loss. Calorie Counter and more In the back of my book is the menus of a lot of fast food places and carb counts of items. I carry it with me when I travel to get an idea of what to eat. When I eat out I often will order something not on the menu. Most places will do this. I always order salad with dressing on the side, usually oil and vinegar. That is the only way you know there is no sugar in it. Things like steak, chicken, seafood are always good choices. Instead of the potato or pasta or rice I ask for an extra order of veggies. You get the hang of it pretty quick. When I am on the go I carry a lot of low carb food with me like nuts, low carb Atkins bars, cheese sticks, etc.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
An easy one for eating on the go
through out 1/2 of the bun when eating. I eat my subs (hoagies) open face (or slide the top bun back as I eat so I only eat the bottom bread). I even have asked for my subs "hold the bread"

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
An easy one for eating on the go
through out 1/2 of the bun when eating. I eat my subs (hoagies) open face (or slide the top bun back as I eat so I only eat the bottom bread). I even have asked for my subs "hold the bread"
And some establishments will switch out the bun for a lettuce wrap - another very good trick!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts