The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do the liquid water flavor enhancers like Mio, Koolaid, Crystal Light, etc. affect BG levels? They say on the package 0g sugar and carbs, but are there hidden carbs/sugar? I am new to this and need some experienced advice. Are they OK or should I stay away from them?

·
Registered
3,831 Posts
I have used Mio before and it has not been a problem. KoolAid and Crystal lite I have not tried but unsweetened should not be a problem and add the sweetener of your choice. I use liquid Splenda but there are other choices. It's true there can be hidden carbs and being aware of that is good but testing after consuming any new item will determine how it affects you so it is necessary to test often when starting on your quest to determine how different foods treat you.

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
I'm not familiar with flavor enhancers, but I do use flavoring extracts in various foods (LC baked goods), and haven't found any impact on my BG.

Bottom line is, what does your meter tell you. Although this requires you to purchase said item first.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks! I was reading the Dietdoctor and other info on here and just couldn't find any info one way or the other. I don't think that those style products are mentioned, only suggesting to flavor water with lemon. I am trying to formulate a plan of action going forward.

I have read to stay away from milk as it has a lot of sugar. I used to drink whole milk but recently switched to 2% (at Snorebabe's suggestion) because my cholesterol's were a little high. I have 2 glasses in the morning's with my omelette. So now I am gonna have to swap to water and wanted to have it flavored sometimes. I don't like the "aftertaste" of the artificial sweeteners such as splenda or diet soda's.

So MUCH to learn (and re-learn)!! This site is AWESOME!

·
Premium Member
9,421 Posts
So MUCH to learn (and re-learn)!! This site is AWESOME!
Another thing we are all having to re-learn (or un-learn) is that fats are not evil. It isn't fats that cause a buildup of cholesterol - its the inflammation caused by high carb eating (there's much science coming to light about this). Those on LCHF have found that their Lipids usually normalize, and so does their blood pressure.

Also, it's nearly impossible to eat LCHF without increasing fats. One either eats far too much protein, or eats so little its near starvation. Rather than give up milk entirely, try diluted heavy whipping cream down to the consistency of milk.

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
You could try unsweetened almond milk (in the refrigerated section) as a milk replacement.

I've also been using this infusion pitcher to flavor my water, and really like it. Lots more versatile than lemon water. Cucumber w/ mint and lemon is my favorite :) I also get limes by the bag at Costco, juice them, and freeze in ice cube trays. Keep a baggie of them in the freezer and usually toss one into a thermos of water when I'm going to be out much of the day.

Reactions: Daytona

·
Registered
789 Posts
I tried almond milk in my coffee, and then my tea, just once. It was disgusting (to my taste). I've switched to cream for coffee, and herbal teas not requiring any milk at all. I must confess a passion for Celestial Seasonings Bengal Spice with cream, though. No caffeine, and VL carb and its like a lovely Chai.

Oh yeah, nearly forgot to address the original Q. I find that even Splenda will raise my BGL so I stay away from it. Catalyst (Aussie ABC) did a program on artifical sweeteners fairly recently, it may be on youtube, I'll see if I can find a link and post it here.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=QQy4vasH4B4

·
Super Moderator
6,161 Posts
I also use heavy cream in my coffee, but found an almond milk that I really like to drink as is. Not sure how much brands matter, but when I tried it years ago I tossed the container after a taste. More recently, I tried it again in the form of Califia Farms in a sexy container. Drank a glass - much better! 1 carb for 8 oz. and great for a beverage change on occasion.

Maybe it's that it had me at the packaging :)

Reactions: kyteflyer
1 - 8 of 8 Posts