The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know water is important for you in general but I hear a lot of people tell me that I need to be mindful of my water intake. Why ? I haven't been drinking that much water here of late so I'm alittle worried. I'm just wondering why I need to watch how much water I take in
Thanks xD

·
Registered
633 Posts
I would like to know also Maybe they are afraid you will drown

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
There's a couple RARE issues with water that need to be looked out for:

1. The more you drink, the more your kidneys need to work. Unfortunately, there is a trend among diabetics to have impaired kidney function, especially if you've had diabetes for 10+ years and not controlled your sugars well during that time. (Many doctors also order kidney function lab tests when they know you're diabetic, to watch for developing issues...) As such, you don't want to overwork them if you can help it. This is also why many diabetic educators and nutritionists/dietitians warn you about too much protein. Most of us on this forum are controlling our sugars well, so this shouldn't be an issue, and hopefully your doctor will already have told you if you have any kidney function impairment.

That being said... if you have healthy kidneys, and keep your blood glucose at normal or near-normal levels, avoiding elevated levels entirely, your kidneys should be quite healthy and neither an abundance of water nor protein should be an issue.

2. Hyponatremia/Water Intoxication. This happens when we have too much water, diluting sodium and/or other electrolytes. Many of us are also watching our sodium intake, as suggested by our doctors and dietitians... and some of us are also doing lots of daily exercise, sweating out those electrolytes. Too much water with a lack of sodium/electrolytes can cause the condition.

That being said ... it's extremely rare and usually only happens in infants or athletes. The ways to avoid it are to ensure you get your electrolytes if you workout (I use sugar-free gatorade-type beverages if working out more than 2 hours) and to not drink huge volumes AT ONCE - since healthy adults can process 3-4 gallons of drinking water a day if spaced over the full day, drinking small glasses regularly throughout the day is best.

FYI, I drink the recommended 8-10 glasses a day easily. I also use about 1 liter per hour while cycling - using a 50/50 water/sugar-free powerade mix.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Oh ok thank you I was kinda rushed through my diabetes education. But that's no excuse. Ok thank you. I probably need to drink more water. I haven't been drinking as much as I need to. Any ideas on how I could drink more water I'm out of the house a lot.
Thanks

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
I carry a bottle of water around with me in the car most times, somtimes I drink it some times I don't.

One thing you will or may have already noticed is when you first start reducing your carb intake your body will burn up its glycogen supply. Glycogen retains fluid in your body so as it is used up the water has to go some where, (pee alot) no need for extra water intake. If you increase your carbs your body wants to make glycogen, which requires lots of water, water intake goes up, peeing goes down.

One thing I did notice while being in Ketosis and doing hard manual labor in the hot sun (sweating a lot) I do not seem to have the fluid reserves I did other wise. I need to drink large amounts of water and often when working outside in the heat. It snuck up on me this past summer, stopped sweating, dizzy, oopps

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I probably don't drink enough water but if I am exercising I always carry a water bottle with me.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
If you're properly hydrated, your urine will be high in volume & pale in color. If you notice you're going less often & it's darker color, you need to drink up.

I don't keep a weather eye on my intake, but I do try to get a good start in the morning by taking at least a pint (2 cups) of fluid. Some days, especially hot summer days, I fill up my quart (4 cups) mug & keep sipping throughout the day. Then if I still get thirsty, I drink some more.

Dehydration: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia

·
Registered
137 Posts
On the other hand being dehydrated concentrates your blood glucose. Being hydrated thins it out. For this reason I like drinking lots of water. Just not at work.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
This reminds me of what happened to my brother-in-law many years ago - he was fixing up an old building in St Louis & there was no facility nearby, so he decided he'd just drink less water so there'd be less need to go find a restroom during the day.

Since several of you already know what St Louis summers are like, I won't go into any more detail about that, but suffice to say the dumb bunny paid the piper . . . spent many days afterward laid up at my father-in-law's home in Eureka, passing kidney stones. I really thought a grown man and a school teacher to boot, would have more sense than to deliberately dehydrate himself. Apparently not . . . :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
. . . spent many days afterward laid up at my father-in-law's home in Eureka, passing kidney stones. . .
Ouch. To this day, that's the most pain I've ever been in. My ruptured appendix wasn't even close to pain from my kidney stones - I truly thought I was dying. (Mine didn't pass, I needed surgery... oh well.)

Yup, dehydration is NOT a good thing. Drink water.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Ouch. To this day, that's the most pain I've ever been in. My ruptured appendix wasn't even close to pain from my kidney stones - I truly thought I was dying. (Mine didn't pass, I needed surgery... oh well.)
Mine finally passed, but OMG. Nausea & vomiting from the pain . . . worse than childbirth.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I agree I had a bout of kidney stones few years ago, every 6 months or so I would get renal colic & end up in surgery with a stone too big to pass, the pain was awful yes Shanny worse than childbirth, after a couple of years of this & me thinking it would never go away, it did the docs never knew what caused it but growing up in cold Scotland I never drank much water, don't know if this contributed to my getting the stones or not.... All I know I never want that pain again!!

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

1 - 13 of 13 Posts