The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hi peoples

Ive been a diabetic since I had gestational diabetes with my second child in 1983. No information and put straight onto insulin so it's been a rocky road. My son was born with many disabilities so focus on myself has become a recent thing due to time constraints and just life I guess.

Endo a couple of years ago took me off all medication...Id lost 50 kilos and was doing really well. The sharp rise in BSL sent me into a deep depression. I dont know why they dont listen to people about the corelation in depression and out of whack diabetes. His idea of 'handling' my diabetes was to put me on OPTISLIM 3 meals a day. I argued with the backing of the dietian that I had been losing fine by eating low carb. He ended up telling me I had deep psychological problems lol...I told him he had a crap bedside manner!

So I did try with no meds and it really didnt work. Nothing is worth being depressed permanently. I had no motivation so back on insulin for me. Im having a heap of trouble getting the doses right. ATM Im taking a split does of Lantus 20 morning and evening and between 6-10mml of novorapid depending on the carbs in the meal and 1000 Diabex XR at night.

For now Im recording everything and hoping to see some pattern in the next few weeks.

Reactions: Coconut

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
oh gawd that wasnt meant to sound like a sob story lol...just a bit of background...

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello, d33na. Good for you standing up to that endo . . . how unprofessional!

Very glad you've found us & I hope we can bring some clarity & good guidance to your diabetes battles.

Thank you for joining us!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hello, d33na. Good for you standing up to that endo . . . how unprofessional!

Very glad you've found us & I hope we can bring some clarity & good guidance to your diabetes battles.

Thank you for joining us!
thank you...they really don't live in reality...eating healthy food ought to be the goal not some mass produced chemical compound...I love cooking and have come up with some amazing diabetic friendly tasty foods...I look forward to sharing them

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Welcome, D33na (Deena, by any chance? Yes, I'm nosy)! :welcome:

I'm recently diagnosed myself. Getting the insulin doses and timing right is a real bear! I'm still employing trial-and-terror. But it is worth it, both physically and mood-wise.

Good on ya for telling off the old endo. Hope you've found a better one!

You've found a great place here, too -- full of info and lotsa support.

Please visit often, and keep us posted!

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Welcome, D33na (Deena, by any chance? Yes, I'm nosy)! :welcome:

I'm recently diagnosed myself. Getting the insulin doses and timing right is a real bear! I'm still employing trial-and-terror. But it is worth it, both physically and mood-wise.

Good on ya for telling off the old endo. Hope you've found a better one!

You've found a great place here, too -- full of info and lotsa support.

Please visit often, and keep us posted!
ah huh deena is my inner child...she is courageous and naughty lol...

I refuse to go back to the endo...I was doing much better with a great GP and my brain lol...I know I always do well when I track all...food and exercise and bsl...um when I dont track its because Im being bad...

I made a deal with myself that I would start looking at things differently...no empty carbs...nothing at all refined...I cook from scratch and enjoy it...I make low carb ice cream (my son is diabetic too) its an interesting challenge finding yummy food to eat :)

be as nosy as you like lol

·
Registered
51 Posts
Hi Deena, can you see me waving from Victoria??? You live in my favorite state in Oz you know.

I'm only recently DX'd so know nothing really but this forum has been a savior. What I've gathered is carbs are my enemy and I'm doing my best to avoid them.

I hope you find lots of support here as I have. Regardless of where we come from, its a universal battle to manage diabetes and that's our commonality. Just knowing other people also live my bad days makes me feel less isolated.

Yay for you Deena.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi Coconut

Im a NSW grrl myself but I did spend 6yrs in Bendigo...I think we just had our first 2 nights where it was cold enough for a quilt this year lol here in Perth...

I think these forums are the best by-product of the web...we're very lucky :)

G

·
Welcome Deena :) I'm living in the same city as you... I'm a sandgroper by birth though. lol. (was born in Mt Lawley actually). Yep, it's definitely getting a tad cold. I'm glad to hear you're getting things figured out there and getting BGLs under control. I'm on insulin too, only since Feb10. Prior to that I was on a bunch of oral meds that did nothing for me. I'm sure you'll find this a great place for support and info. Keep us posted on how you're doing.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Well I am from the other side of the planet, but coming from a similar place ... I did not think this was a sob story at all.

I see you as someone who is willing to look a bit further than the Endo, and more power to you!

Insulin is a great way to control blood sugar, and you might want to look into some antibody testing, while you are at it ... I did.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
hey mep and foxl...and thanx for the warm welcome...

I just figure I have more invested in my being healthy than any doctor does...

ah Mt Lawley...I have a few coffees each week at the Merchant...I can give up anything except good coffee

G

·
ah Mt Lawley...I have a few coffees each week at the Merchant...I can give up anything except good coffee
oh yeah I love my coffee too... :D sometimes I go to Mt Lawley and do the coffee crawl with friends. I love Dome, but Merchant is yum also. :) I even tried that Tea Leaf place... interesting... but I'm not huge on tea as much as coffee. I still limit to 2 cups per day regardless of where I am. Occasionally I bust out and have 3. lol.

·
Registered
741 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
lol my justification is if it's good coffee I can drink it black...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts