The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
198 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had a weak moment at work the other day and paid for it. My coworker brought in donuts!! He was like he come on help me eat these. You might as well have two donuts. I did and my glucose level that night was 445. I was so sick. I told my mom who is also a diabetic. She scolded me for not taking my illness seriously as she put it. I try to but when all your coworkers are eating what they want you do not want to be the wet blanket and say cant do it Im diabetic. I didnt want them to look at me strange because I am diabetic. I do not know what Im doing!! Its all so new. I was just diagnosed in October. :eek:hwell:

·
Registered
148 Posts
It's really hard in the work environment to refuse food sometimes, especially if you don't want to announce your condition to everyone. Depending on what your manager is like, you might want to discuss with your manager. I told mine to a) stop the pushing of food on me b) enable them to consider OTHER goodies, like a fruit or veggie platter c) if you need to take lots of sick leave to see your doc.

What also works is having your own breakfast ready. That way you can politely refuse because you ALREADY ate! :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Brand, it is very difficult to work in an environment where everyone else is enjoying sugary, carby treats that are big time no-no's for those of us who are diabetic. Sometimes you have to look at it a different way than to feel "left out" of the festivities or the fun. Would you like to keep all 10 of your fingers and toes? How about your eyesight? What about your kidney's? It is difficult to pass up the birthday cake, the holiday goodies, and the donuts that become part of the office food menu, but you must just be diligent in saying "no, thank you" and not allow others to push you to eat things that are bad for you. Perhaps you could keep a sugar free pudding cup or something like that in the frig at work so you can enjoy a sweet goody that is okay for you? Once you get used to a LC/HF diet, you really won't miss eating that stuff anymore. Also, you see how eating those donuts affected your bg's? This alone should be a wake up call that you just cannot indulge in this stuff. You are a diabetic. Yes, it can be difficult. But, and this is a big but, you must look to your future and being healthy. A moment on the lips to a diabetic can lead to a life long disability. Keep it in mind. Never mind the weight gain from it. I look at what it can do to me physically in the future. Good Luck. We are always here to help you and support you. *Hugs*

Reactions: brand19922006

·
Registered
741 Posts
ok I have an analogy for you

lets say you are allergic to nuts and someone at work bakes some peanut cookies...would you eat them to stop their feelings being hurt? No you wouldn't...you would say "so sorry but I'm allergic to nuts"

but you are not allergic to nut you are allergic to CARBS...

in a way it's no different to an allergy...you eat their donuts or muffins or whatever and you get a massive spike...you keep doing that and you will suffer permanent damage...it is important...your health is important...other people's feelings are their problem...

when you think about it...offering you carbs is as bad as offering a person with a nut allergy a bag of nuts...

don't be embarrassed about having diabetes...you need to care enough about yourself to say no thank you...you don't have to explain :) if you don't want to

·
Registered
1,095 Posts
I did the same stupid mistake.
My brothers girlfriend is from Yhailand, and I think there is something in her culture which telles her to bring food for us when she visit.
She know that I`m diabetic, but she somehow thinks that means I`m pregnant. :rolleyes: And I`m definiteve not pregnant. Way to old for that.
Well, she came her with some really nice cake, and I thought for it a long time. I really wanted to eat one. I wasn`t quite sure how many carbo it contained, but I knew there was many.
I took insulin enough to cover up for 40 carbo, and ate 1 little cake (size of a wheat bun)
It was not enough insulin at all.
My BG rised to 23,8:eek::eek:
The next day I was really sick. It felt like I had drunk to much alcohol. I became so sick that I will never taste a cake like that again in my life.:sick:
So I think - yes I was stupid, but my diabetes gave me a hard lesson I will never forget.
We are only humans although we are diabetic. We will make mistakes, but we will also learn from them.

·
Registered
137 Posts
If you're worried about people thinking you're strange are they going to think you're strange because you mind your diet or because they took you out on a stretcher unconcious and having seizures?

I worked in an office where they constantly gave out candy, pizza, and popsicles. Instead of saying 'no' I learned to say 'thank you' then regifted these items to people who were nice to me. Suddenly I became Santa Claus and everyone wanted to get on my good side. It's a good way to turn it around.

I also took the time in my exit interview after I quit to explain their showering us with carbs was for a diabetic like being offered lemonade with antifreeze in it. Whatever precedent we set the next diabetic has to live with.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I have found that people don't respect "diabetic" as much as they do "I'm on a diet" or "I'm allergic to X," whether it's a friend, family member, co-worker or waiter.

So, if all else fails, tell them you're on a diet or you're allergic, which is kind of true. :)

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
A BIG part of the problem, specific to diabetes, is that there is so much misinformation out there. That, and the fact that practically all of our cultures' social customs are built around carby foods.

One "news item" I see most frequently is that "diabetics can eat anything!" Especially "healthy" whole grains and fruits. Apparently this is true for some. Still others wish it were so, and eat accordingly. But for most of us, that's Just Plain Wrong.

Then, of course, there's the myth that Type 2 diabetics are to blame for their own condition; a lie that's spread, in the popular mind, to include Type 1s, even those born with the condition. All we have to do, then, is eat less and exercise more and ... voila! No more diabetes! A few cookies won't hurt ya, right? (Wrong.)

No wonder the whole world seems, at times, to be plying us with foods we can't eat. Also, no wonder that we sometimes get worn down and give in. Resistance is a hard-learned habit, and we're all in a tough school.

Reactions: optimist and Shanny

·
Registered
267 Posts
I work for a group that does ALOT of group lunches. I am talking 2 to 3 times a week. They like a place called Nellos that has a pizza called the skinny. It is nearly an inch thick with all sorts of meats and what not. I used to love that pizza.

Now, I sit at my desk and read this forum while eating veggie chili, salads....

Thing is, I don't mind. I feel so much better through the rest of my day that it is worth it. Some day, when I sort out what food my body will tolorate and get my levels where they need to be to maximize life, I will begin to go with them again when it is reasonable and there is something safe for me.

I spent the time to explain this to them and they have been great about it. I never feel pressure and the cookie order forms never come my way. I even have this great older lady about ready to retire who snaps at anybody who attempts to offer me sweets. They support me 100% and are pushing for me to get it all sorted out. You may be surprised what will happen if you lay things out straight. I think people are better than we tend to give them credit for.

I only say all this because reading everybody's different stories on here has really helped me figure out how to write my own. Seeing the struggles and success let's me see what may or may not work for me. I just hope to do the same for you and anyone else.

I also really like the peanut analogy above.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts