The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a question.

How do you wear your pump and handle the tubing?

I have a Animas Ping Pump and a Dexcom G4 CGM.

I am a Band Director and Saxophonist for my day and evening gigs. I carry lots of stuff in my pockets, i.e., dry erase markers, pens, pencils, small repair tools, and other stuff for my teaching duties.

I do not care if the pump or cgm is seen. I teach 4th through 8th grades. I figure this is the age that a student of mine might be diagnosed with Diabetes, so it might be a nice teaching moment to have the pump visible.

Any ideas will be appreciated. Thank you.

·
Registered
1,855 Posts
I have the Omnipod so no tubing for me. 2 of my students have pumps with tubing though and they wear these ***** pack looking things. I can ask their parents if they are homemade or not.

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
I clip my pump to my waistband, or take the clip off and put the pump in my pocket or the front of my bra. Works great. I think if I took to wearing a CGM, then I might get a small pouch for the CGM monitor.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
I usually just wear my pump in my bra or my pants pocket. If I'm wearing a skirt, sometimes I might just clip to the wasteband. I also have a belt with a stretchable pouch on it. I am trying to remember what they are called :confused: It is a belt that joggers can wear to carry their keys, phone, whatever in it. It is kind of like a ***** pack, except this belt doesn't have a huge pouch on it; it is more like a money belt but the pouch is like neoprene and stretchable. I found mine at Dick's Sporting Goods and it was around $20.00. I don't wear it that often because I'm not a big belt person, but if I need it, I have it.

As far as the tubing goes, I usually just have it under my clothes, or if I'm carrying in my pocket or on my waistband, I just tuck it in the pocket or under the wasteband. You don't necessarily want to leave it hanging out because it is way too easy to get it caught on something and then you may rip your infusion set out. I've done that a few times too. It hurts.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Funny, you can't use the word f a n n y, but that is what this belt is kind of like; a f a n n y pack but not as big.

·
Registered
125 Posts
I also have the Ping but wear no CGM. I use a 24" tube and wear my inset on my belly or side. The pump itself, I wear on my belt occasionally and just tuck the left-over tube in my pants or wear the pump on the opposite side as the inset and route the tube around my back. At work, working out and under very casual clothing, Ill wear a runners belt with a small elastic pouch similar to a "Spy Belt". The left-over tube tucks neatly into the pouch with the pump.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I thank you all for your reponses. As a guy, the bra ideas would raise more questions than the pump does.

My big problem so far is that the pump will dig into my side when I have to bend to do something in the band room or in class.

I do like the pump to be seen, but am having some trouble figuring out how to route the tubing with my shirt tucked in.

I am alternating between the 23 in tubing and 43 in. I am liking the 43in a little more since I can set it off to the side when I am working at my desk or grading papers.

The Dexcom came with a great case that I can wear on my belt, but have yet to find one similar to that case for the Ping.

For some reason, the Animas site's e-store has not been up for over a week now. If anyone knows of a better site, please let me know.

Thank you all again.

·
Registered
2,206 Posts
Like Marsha, I use Omnipod thereby eliminating the tubing problem.

I'm also a high school music teacher, but teach mainly choral groups, voice and flute among other things. The constant movement whether playing, singing or conducting is a big reason I got the a Omnipod.

I keep my PDM and CGM monitors in a shoulder bag by Targus that I got at Staples. It has a little pocket designed for an iPod that's perfect for the Dexcom monitor. There's room for the Omnipod pouch as well as a bottle of glucose tabs. Also has handy places for my wallet, cell phone and checkbook while still retaining room for my iPad.

Both Omnipod and Dexcom monitors sit on my desk during school and remain in range. All the kids know I'm diabetic and recognize the various signals from the Dexcom monitor. They're remarkably understanding and even helpful when the hypo signal goes off and don't seem to mind when I stop for a couple of glucose tabs.

Admittedly, my kids are older than yours, but I see no reason they should not learn about this problem.

My dog Sam, is also with me constantly and has learned to be alert to signs of extreme hypos. He nudges me insistently if I'm not paying attention to CGM alarms.

My little black bag goes with me to the theater for performances and everywhere else. I suppose its slightly effeminate, but I don't care insofar as its more convenient than a f---y pack or briefcase.

I bought the arm band Dexcom case from the company linked to the Dexcom site intended to be used for athletics, etc. I don't care for it so much as it seems to leave the monitor vulnerable. Rather, I wear a shirt or jacket with a pocket that snaps or zips closed and keep the monitor in the little black leather pouch it comes with. Much less chance of dirt getting in it when I'm working outside.

The belt clip that comes with the Dexcom seems too fragile for activities involving a great deal of movement.

Another of our faculty uses a Medtronics pump with tubing, but he teaches history. I don't know how he manages when coaching baseball.

·
Registered
265 Posts
about to begin pump therapy for first time.

We have received Ronnie's Medtronic pump and CGM, and must schedule training. This thread brings up an issue I have been concerned about.
How do I change the diabetes type in the profile. DH is type 1

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
A few days ago, I called Animas about some questions I ha concerning the Ping Pump I am using. The woman answering my questions was excellent.

As an aside, every person I have talked to at Animas, Dexcom, and Diabetes Specialty Center have been examples of excellent customer service that I wish I could find in at least one store in the Milwaukee, WI area.

Any way, as the Animas rep and I were talking she asked me if I had any other problems with the pump. I mentioned the problems that I have hinted at here. She then said, "It sounds like you want to show off the pump." I thought for a moment and then had to agree with her. I am proud of this little device and do want to show it off while wearing it.

Any ideas?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts