The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, having a tough day here in Minnesota with the big winter / summer clothes switcheroo. I've gained a donut over the winter and I'm very down and ashamed about it. I started levemir in November and continued prandin. I fear one or both of them are a factor in the weight gain. Does any one back this up or dispute it?
Other things going on: I'm turning 50, I've been unemployed for 3 years and both my mom and dad were sick this winter.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Sorry to hear the news. Make sure you try to eat as close to zero man made carbs as possible

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Haven't ever heard reference to "man made carbs."
Chips I know would be under these. What about noodles, beans? Would love to see a list of "man made carbs" vs "God made carbs?"

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Chips I know would be under these. What about noodles, beans? Would love to see a list of "man made carbs" vs "God made carbs?"
Basically man made carbs are:

Junk Food
Bread
Pasta

Basically:
Anything white in color
Anything with flour
Anything with sugar

Beans have natural carbs and spike the heck out of some of us, with veggies and fruits (TONS of sugar in fruit) you have to test, test, test to see which spike you and how much they do.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Would "processed foods" be a better description? The less processing a given food undergoes between harvest and your dinner table, the better for your health. When the manufacturers start removing the natural fat & replacing it with carbs, or they add ever more preservatives/stabilizers/thickeners/HFCS/etc., you are going to pay for it with your health. Manmade carbs include everything that has been manipulated into something else by processing.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Potatoes are natural, but they'll probably spike ya too!

·
Registered
32 Posts
I've been taking levemir for over 2 years and it has it hasn't caused any weight gain in me, the only thing , in my case that has caused weight gain is eating more than my body needs. Carbs as a whole i've seen, from reading alot of posts are just detrimental for me if i want to get my diabetes under control.I've goNE on a low carb since joining this forum.

Don't beat yourself up for losing weight, none of us is perfect and guilt and shame serve no usefull purpose. Just get back on the horse and you'll be fine.

O

·
0 Posts
yeah gaining weight isn't something that makes you feel good.... I've been there. I'm on insulin and haven't gained weight at all since being on it, although I haven't lost any either. I'm a good 10kgs or more overweight still. Probably understanding how your digestion works could help... I'm reading lots of stuff on that at the moment due to my health. I found a great little summary which basically encourages smaller amounts of food throughout the day and not overloading our stomach... and I guess overloading our pancreas too. The link doesn't cover all gastro health issues though. Plus look up the Glycemic Index as this gives you a break down on what carbs are better for you than others. If you eat carbs, limit the high GI or stay away is even better and only use low GI in small portions.
Link: FOOD DIGESTION

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I found a great little summary which basically encourages smaller amounts of food throughout the day and not overloading our stomach... and I guess overloading our pancreas too.

My dad had just read something about the smaller meals but then I get confused when to talk my "pre-meal" reading, should it be every four hours?

A doctor at Urgent Care told me diabetes slows down the digestive system and then the medicines they give slow down the digestive system. What speeds it up? Tea? Exercise? Or is this just the way it is?

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I was diagnosed in 1945, and never was more than 5 pounds overweight until I started using modern day insulins in the 1990s. There was a lot of weight gain. I reduced my carb intake to 130 carbs per day and that lowered my insulin dosages. I lost almost all of my overweight with the lower carb way of eating, and increased exercise. Anything I can do to keep my insulin usage low, helps me keep my weight under control.

Reactions: Shalynne
O

·
0 Posts
I found a great little summary which basically encourages smaller amounts of food throughout the day and not overloading our stomach... and I guess overloading our pancreas too.

My dad had just read something about the smaller meals but then I get confused when to talk my "pre-meal" reading, should it be every four hours?

A doctor at Urgent Care told me diabetes slows down the digestive system and then the medicines they give slow down the digestive system. What speeds it up? Tea? Exercise? Or is this just the way it is?
Personally I don't go 4 hours without eating something. Sometimes I eat something every 3 hours as that's supposed to be the magic number to speed up your metabolism. I don't go past 4 hours that often and when I do I find I either crash or my BGLs sky rocket suddenly. It's such a balancing act trying to keep levels stable... everyone is different too.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
When you are diabetic you need to find out how your individual body works. When I started to test a lot, I found that if I went more than 4-5 hours without eating my bgs would start to spike ( a lot). So I had to start eating smaller meals, more often. Once I got the hang of a lower carb diet I found I could skip some of the snacks. Keeping most meals low carb helps stabalise your bgs so you don't get the spikes.

·
Registered
30 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
When you are diabetic you need to find out how your individual body works. When I started to test a lot, I found that if I went more than 4-5 hours without eating my bgs would start to spike ( a lot). So I had to start eating smaller meals, more often. Once I got the hang of a lower carb diet I found I could skip some of the snacks. Keeping most meals low carb helps stabalise your bgs so you don't get the spikes.
Wow, that is just the opposite of what I would tend to think. I would think "Not eating" would lower my bg, but then again, when I was sick and not eating the sky rocketed. Well, I'm going to have to think of a schedule in my head. However, in the Lifestyle of American book they said by eating 3 solid meals you shouldn't have to eat snacks . . . .but yes, I do feel overloaded after some meals.
My question still is, when you eat these little meals do you still test right before you eat and then it would be more then normal testing? I guess I still just don't like testing. Not scientific.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts