The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Banned
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, can anyone help me on how to shed weight. My mum's dietician says she must lose weight. I just started this juicing program for her dinner but can still take other advice. Thanks.
Ps she weigh 95 kg now. Mariam

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I understand that most (if not all) juicers remove the fiber from the food. Fiber is very important to diabetics, and liquids don't satisfy hunger for very long. Plus a diabetic needs solid food and should eat small meals or snacks 4 or 5 times per day in order to help keep bg down. If I were you, I would forget about juicing and go with the tried and true way of eating for diabetics, which is lowering carbohydrates. Your mom should be able to lose weight on a low carb diet, many of us have had great success along those lines.

If you do some reading at the bloodsugar101 website, I know it will be very helpful to you. And of course, folks here have some very sound advice, and will be happy to answer any questions for you.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
90 Posts
HI mariam

A lot of people myself included have found that eating low carbohydrate meals has helped enormously....I can't eat a lot of fruit for example as it sends my sugars sky high....DO you test your Mums blood sugar level 2 hours after her juice at night time? does it go up?

I mainly stick to lots of meat and seom vegetables and cheese....

On this I have lost 20kgs and my blood sugar levels are within normal range :)

Hope this helps!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
As far as weight loss go it is best to design a diet that you can eat for life. I find most juicing diets leave you very hungry because you are not getting enough fiber. I think a better diet or way of eating is at every meal to provide a good source of protein, some fat like Coconut Oil and at least a couple of veggies. This has worked for me and I am under 120 pounds and almost 61 years old.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts