The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am at a point where I must start losing weight. I am embarrassed to say how much I weigh right now. I am on my last 2 days of vacation and will start buckling down on Tuesday. What effect on the body would a 2 day fast have? How long does it take for the body to decide it is going into starvation mode? I know that we should only lose 2 pounds a week, but I am not a very patient person. I would like to lose 5 pounds a week! :eek: I just seen Beefy's post on calories. I cant imagine still stuffing over 2000 calories down my neck and still lose weight. I have decided to post my weight loss every Sunday morning here. Maybe it will inspire others who need to do the same thing. Any help, comments or criticism would be very much appreciated.

·
Registered
118 Posts
U do not need to starve or deprive yourself look on the forum for low carb and eating with it means weigh loss. Good luck but fasting does nothing good to the body

Sent from my iPod touch using Diabetes

·
Registered
716 Posts
All I know is that i found I could not take in enough calories with the exercise to maintain my weight. Lost 3 lbs a month and not by choice.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
One of the reasons I eat 6 times a day is to get enough calories... There's no way I could do it in 3 or 4 meals a day, I'd be stuffed like crazy.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
One question I have - what are you currently doing for exercise? The combination of low-carb diet and daily exercise is FAR superior to either alone for weight loss.

If you aren't doing daily exercise, is there anything preventing you from it? (Truth be told, I only exercise 6 days maximum a week - but I need at least one rest day to recover from some of the harder riding I do.)

I know you mention that dawn-phenomenon is a problem for you - I used to have absolutely horrible readings in the AM also - they're still not always under 100 (5.5 on my scale) but they are much better since going hardcore on the exercise and losing a bunch of weight.

Good luck!

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Most experts will tell you slow weight loss is the best and people usually keep it off. I have lost over 80 pounds in the last 10 years and kept it off. The last 30 pounds were since I was dx'd diabetic and went on a very low carb diet. Like Beefy I also incorperate exercise into my daily routine. I tried an all day fast a couple of times and it drove my bgs up to 200+, so I would not recomend it. The best way as a diabetic to lose weight is to change the way you eat forever. Start cutting out as many carbs as you can. I am a fairly petite woman and eat close to 2000 calories most days. I eat whenever I am hungry, I just eat low carb. If I am going to eat complex carbs it is usually in the afternoon for lunch or before or after exercise. Since I love to cook I bake all my own snacks so i never go hungry.

Reactions: sandpointspud

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Lots of people, including some here at the forum have lost weight on the Adkins diet, and the bonus is it is low carb, good for the big D.

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
One question I have - what are you currently doing for exercise? The combination of low-carb diet and daily exercise is FAR superior to either alone for weight loss.

If you aren't doing daily exercise, is there anything preventing you from it? (Truth be told, I only exercise 6 days maximum a week - but I need at least one rest day to recover from some of the harder riding I do.)

I know you mention that dawn-phenomenon is a problem for you - I used to have absolutely horrible readings in the AM also - they're still not always under 100 (5.5 on my scale) but they are much better since going hardcore on the exercise and losing a bunch of weight.

Good luck!
Hi Beefy,
The only exercise I get now is what I get at work. There I get plenty of exercise. I spent most of my day running around a large and busy grocery store. Also moving heavy product and stocking. My days off I do not get much except the occasional yard work. My BMR is at 2400 right now. I plan to short that to 2000. I need to lose about 40 to 50 lbs before I could get into Real exercise like aerobic or bike riding. I am going to start walking my big dog for an hour each morning as a start. I do have some DP issues but are doing better now. I am about 130 in the mornings now instead of 160-170. BTW-- How much food does it take in the morning to get ones metabolism up and running? I am not much of a breakfast person.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
You can do it, Spud. If Atkins looks good to you, go for it. My husband did a coupla weeks & lost seven pounds right away. And from the looks of my grocery list, he intends to keep doing it! :p He doesn't follow it right down to the gnat's eyelash, but he picks out some of the recommended menus from each mealtime & interchanges them with his usual fare. I think his biggest hurdle is that he's likely to not eat enough, so we're working on that & he's trying to get it through his head that he can eat plenty of fats & decent portions of "legal" foods and still lose weight.

Back in January I had started posting daily FBG, b/p & weight, but got bogged down. So if I can remember to, I'll post my weight on Sundays too.

·
Registered
206 Posts
A friend of mine lost 90 pounds in total. She had a coach who taught her something which helped her through her healthy weight loss : she told her to get a pound of butter. At first she shed pounds quickly but she soon reached a point where she would only lose 1 or 2 pounds. That's where the pound of butter came into play! Her coach told her to get the pound of butter out of the fridge and put it against her tighs, her belly... This is a pound of fat. You lost a pound of fat. It looks a lot doesn't it? And you know what? It boosted her motivation. She did it! She lost the 90 pounds she wanted. That pound of butter made her realize a loss of two pounds is a step in the right direction. Slowly and surely :)

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Hi Beefy,
The only exercise I get now is what I get at work. There I get plenty of exercise. I spent most of my day running around a large and busy grocery store. Also moving heavy product and stocking.
The only issue with only getting your exercise at work is it defeats half the purpose of it - that being stress relief.

When you are at work (especially at a busy work-site) there are pressures, deadlines, etc., that don't exist when you're exercising on your own free time. As such, different hormones and neuro-chemicals are being released into your system during exercise at work vs. on your free time, and the exercise received there just isn't as beneficial to your overall health (or to weight-loss) as you might think. That's one of the primary reasons so many people that feel they exercise a great deal at work aren't losing the weight they want to.

My days off I do not get much except the occasional yard work.
Yard work is a great place to start, especially if you're a little overweight to begin with. It doesn't place a lot of stress on your system, but can be as beneficial as walking.

My BMR is at 2400 right now. I plan to short that to 2000. I need to lose about 40 to 50 lbs before I could get into Real exercise like aerobic or bike riding.
First, don't short it too much - never adjust your calories in a HUGE jump, or your body may not react in the way you'd like. IE: if you find you're eating 3,000 calories in a day, don't drop suddenly to 2,000 or your body will NOT adjust the way you want. Smaller adjustments in your diet are best, then give a couple of weeks to see results.

Second - don't think that you can't do something because you're overweight! Remember, I was over 300 lbs when I started biking... And no, I couldn't do it for long at first, but it got better quickly!

I am going to start walking my big dog for an hour each morning as a start.
That's a great start - just be realistic in your hour goal - don't let it hurt you. (If you're only used to 10 minute walks, an hour may be pushing it, so be careful.)

If you're fine with an hour (or whatever time/distance works for you), then keep at it for a week. The next week do the same one hour walk (or bike ride, or whatever), but increase the distance or intensity by about 10%, and try to do this each consecutive week to really see gains not only in weight loss, but in overall health. (BTW, never increase exercise duration/intensity/etc. by more than 10% a week - or the risk of injury skyrockets.)

BTW, I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're in Sandpoint - if that's the case then GET OUTSIDE! It's beautiful there! Lots of places to walk, bike, hike, etc. That combination of fresh air, beautiful scenery, exercise, stress-relief, will really pay off in healthy dividends!

I do have some DP issues but are doing better now. I am about 130 in the mornings now instead of 160-170. BTW-- How much food does it take in the morning to get ones metabolism up and running? I am not much of a breakfast person.
Not as much as many people think. One of the issues many people with DP face is that NOT eating tends to keep trending our BG up higher and higher.

It's a bit of a myth that our breakfast is what gives our metabolism a boost in the A.M. - it's actually our body releasing different hormones in the a.m. (usually while we're still asleep, well before breakfast is eaten) to get prepared for waking. We're all different in how our bodies do this - some people simply awake refreshed and ready-to-go (I hate those people :D) whereas others of us might be on the other end of the spectrum, and practically struggle just to get out of bed - especially if our hormones are slightly out-of-whack (which is likely the case if you're diabetic, you know?)

That being said - for those with DP - eating (even small amounts) usually triggers the body to STOP trying to release glucose into the system - which is why our DP is only Dawn Phenomenon and not All-Day-Phenomenon.

Breakfast - For me I can have more than enough energy to get my day going with 2 eggs, a small serving of meat (2 slices bacon or 3 slices thin deli ham) and 1/2 a piece of toast with peanut butter. That's not a very big breakfast (considering what I generally eat overall) but gives me enough energy to get going and keeps my BG in check until my next snack because it's actually over 500 calories! (OK, 500 calories with bacon... only about 400 with the ham option.) If you're in a huge hurry/on-the-run and can't make something like that, then nuke up a Jimmy Dean Ham & Cheese Omelet (250 calories, very low-carb) or something similar. (I make omelets in my spare time and keep them in the fridge for quick microwaved breakfasts, because I'm too poor to buy pre-made stuff, LOL.)

Hope that helps somewhat!

·
Registered
206 Posts
The only exercise I get now is what I get at work. There I get plenty of exercise.
Oh my goodness! I can relate, you have no idea!! When I get home I am exhausted and the last thing I want to do is hit the gym. Last time I took my pedometer with me to work it recorded 12,000 steps! I know I should get more exercise though and like someone already mentioned, work might not just cut it if you take into consideration the added stress, deadlines, etc.

Lots of great advice here. I'm following this thread with great interest :)

Reactions: sandpointspud

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
The only issue with only getting your exercise at work is it defeats half the purpose of it - that being stress relief.

When you are at work (especially at a busy work-site) there are pressures, deadlines, etc., that don't exist when you're exercising on your own free time. As such, different hormones and neuro-chemicals are being released into your system during exercise at work vs. on your free time, and the exercise received there just isn't as beneficial to your overall health (or to weight-loss) as you might think. That's one of the primary reasons so many people that feel they exercise a great deal at work aren't losing the weight they want to.

Yard work is a great place to start, especially if you're a little overweight to begin with. It doesn't place a lot of stress on your system, but can be as beneficial as walking.

First, don't short it too much - never adjust your calories in a HUGE jump, or your body may not react in the way you'd like. IE: if you find you're eating 3,000 calories in a day, don't drop suddenly to 2,000 or your body will NOT adjust the way you want. Smaller adjustments in your diet are best, then give a couple of weeks to see results.

Second - don't think that you can't do something because you're overweight! Remember, I was over 300 lbs when I started biking... And no, I couldn't do it for long at first, but it got better quickly!

That's a great start - just be realistic in your hour goal - don't let it hurt you. (If you're only used to 10 minute walks, an hour may be pushing it, so be careful.)

If you're fine with an hour (or whatever time/distance works for you), then keep at it for a week. The next week do the same one hour walk (or bike ride, or whatever), but increase the distance or intensity by about 10%, and try to do this each consecutive week to really see gains not only in weight loss, but in overall health. (BTW, never increase exercise duration/intensity/etc. by more than 10% a week - or the risk of injury skyrockets.)

BTW, I'm going out on a limb and guessing you're in Sandpoint - if that's the case then GET OUTSIDE! It's beautiful there! Lots of places to walk, bike, hike, etc. That combination of fresh air, beautiful scenery, exercise, stress-relief, will really pay off in healthy dividends!

Not as much as many people think. One of the issues many people with DP face is that NOT eating tends to keep trending our BG up higher and higher.

It's a bit of a myth that our breakfast is what gives our metabolism a boost in the A.M. - it's actually our body releasing different hormones in the a.m. (usually while we're still asleep, well before breakfast is eaten) to get prepared for waking. We're all different in how our bodies do this - some people simply awake refreshed and ready-to-go (I hate those people :D) whereas others of us might be on the other end of the spectrum, and practically struggle just to get out of bed - especially if our hormones are slightly out-of-whack (which is likely the case if you're diabetic, you know?)

That being said - for those with DP - eating (even small amounts) usually triggers the body to STOP trying to release glucose into the system - which is why our DP is only Dawn Phenomenon and not All-Day-Phenomenon.

Breakfast - For me I can have more than enough energy to get my day going with 2 eggs, a small serving of meat (2 slices bacon or 3 slices thin deli ham) and 1/2 a piece of toast with peanut butter. That's not a very big breakfast (considering what I generally eat overall) but gives me enough energy to get going and keeps my BG in check until my next snack because it's actually over 500 calories! (OK, 500 calories with bacon... only about 400 with the ham option.) If you're in a huge hurry/on-the-run and can't make something like that, then nuke up a Jimmy Dean Ham & Cheese Omelet (250 calories, very low-carb) or something similar. (I make omelets in my spare time and keep them in the fridge for quick microwaved breakfasts, because I'm too poor to buy pre-made stuff, LOL.)

Hope that helps somewhat!
Wow, Thanks Beefy, that is a ton of useful info! I am going to take your advice and will be checking in each week with the results. Yes, I do live in Sandpoint and I can't think of a better place to live:D. Except for the winter of coarse! But there are far worse places to be in the winter! Like East of the Rockies!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
...Yes, I do live in Sandpoint and I can't think of a better place to live:D. Except for the winter of coarse! But there are far worse places to be in the winter! Like East of the Rockies!
Just dress in layers, hop on a bike with some studded tires and go riding :D

Or, if you prefer, a used set of snowshoes might make for some fun cross-training on the trails in the area...

1 - 14 of 14 Posts