The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 16 year old son has type 2 diabetes for 2 years. On Metformin 1000 Bid and Glyburide Bid. Has gradual weight loss that won't stop. Is it from the medication? Has lost 90 pounds. Last a1c was 7.8.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to Diabetes Forum. His A1c of 7.8 shows he is running a lot of high blood sugar. If he gets better control and reduces the A1c to 6.5, or less, then his weight loss may stop. An A1c below 6.0 is considered a non diabetic level. many diabetics are able to maintain that level. Doing that makes diabetes complications much less likely.

Ask all the questions you want. we are here to help.

Richard

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
We go to the Doctor tomorrow. I think they might start him on insulin 1x per day. What do you think of that idea? I am so worried about starting the insulin.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Insulin seems to be appropriate at this time. Most Type 2 diabetics have to use insulin eventually. There is also a possibility of increasing his medicine dosages and adding an additional medicine.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank You for the words of wisdom. I thought with the weight loss he would improve but that's not the case. He even works out routinely.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Exercise, diet and portion size are all very important. A low carb diet is strongly advisable. I east only 130 carbs per day and exercise every day. My A1c is 5.6. I have been a diabetic for 64 years and am very healthy.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Just popping in to say Hi & welcome, ljb. Glad you've joined us and I hope we can give you support and some peace of mind about caring for your son & his diabetes. Don't be afraid of insulin - it's a life-saving tool for controlling diabetes. Some of us utilize everything available - diet, exercise, oral meds and insulin. Whatever it takes to keep those blood sugars low, and live a long happy life!

take care & come visit us often.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
I take medicine for cholesterol, blood pressure and insulin resistance. (Vytorin, Altace and Avandia).

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Started my son on Lantus 14 units at 10pm. Stopping the glyburide but continuing the Metformin 1000 2/day. His A1C was 9.0 today. He has been feeling very tired. Does this sound reasonable?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts