The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I'm new to this site. I'm a type 2 diabetic since 2007. I was wondering if anyone had advice on how to drop weight through exercise, and which forms of exercise? Thanks all for any help!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hello & welcome, Bliss. Tell us more about how you're managing your diabetes. Many of us follow a way-of-eating which controls our blood sugar and also expedites weight loss. Exercise is essential for both of course, but I'm just saying this food regimen results in weight loss, almost without trying.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Shannon.
I'm trying to eat better but I'm sure I am still eating to many carbs. I use a food diary and it allows me a certain amount of calories an carbs and I usually stay in that realm. It's hard to figure out what you can and can't have and doing portions. I guess I need some help in that area.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Weight loss is going to be different with each of us. I am now down to my goal weight, actually below it. The way I did it was a balance of exercises and a very low carb diet which keeps my bgs close to 100 most of the day. The best exercise is to find something you enjoy doing and do it everyday. I do mainly walking and power walking. I try to do 3-4 miles most days, regardless of weather. Once you start making excuses not to walk because of weather you have lost. I also use light weights ( 5 and 8 lb) at home to work on arm muscles. I also purchased weighted bars from The Official Body Bar Site I use these in my exercise routines for bicepts, tricepts, clean and presses, squats and dead lifts. Along with the exercise I tend to eat less than 30-40 carbs most days.

·
Registered
3,483 Posts
I also use light weights ( 5 and 8 lb) at home to work on arm muscles. I also purchased weighted bars from The Official Body Bar Site I use these in my exercise routines for bicepts, tricepts, clean and presses, squats and dead lifts. Along with the exercise I tend to eat less than 30-40 carbs most days.
Bodybars sound interesting. Did you get a DVD package or just the bar?

·
Registered
556 Posts
Hi, Bliss. Eating less carbs not only helps keep bg down, it also helped me lose weight without even trying. When first diagnosed, I kept a food diary along with writing down how many carbs I was eating per meal. I took my bg 1 hr. after eating to see how much that meal would raise my bg. If it raised it too much, that told me I needed to eat less carbs per meal. That is called eating to your meter. Everyone is different, so some can eat more carbs per sitting than others, but for me I can eat about 10 per meal, 30 per day to keep my bg in a safe range. As a bonus, I lost 40 pounds in the first 3 months.

Here is a link to a website that can help you with what to eat.

Welcome to the forum.

·
Registered
782 Posts
eating to your meter.
^This! The single best piece of advice I've received from this forum. :)

Bliss, there's a weight loss thread for those of us who are focusing on that along with controlling bg. Love for you to join it. I think most people here eat low carb, high fat and they have great success controlling bg, losing weight, and keeping other health measures in check. Me, I'm a calorie counter. I test my bg five times a day (fasting, 2-hours after breakfast, twice randomly in the afternoon/evening, and before bed) and eat about ~1650 calories a day of whatever keeps my bg in range.

Exercise is my Achilles heel. I HATE it. Always have. :( But I had a personal trainer develop a cardio and strength routine for me and I'm trying to go to the gym three times a week. The routine isn't designed for weight loss per se, but it should help. My third daughter, a physical therapist, would say, Just start moving! All exercise helps!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts