The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey Forum -this place has been an amazing resource and i want to thank everyone that has been so welcoming of us newbies. I am a prediabetic trying to get my life on track and my a1c numbers down. My question is this - is anyone else trying to gain weight on LC/HF way of eating? I am down to 137lbs and would like to put on at the very least, 10lbs as i look quite emaciated. What does a pre and post workout meal/snack look with LC/HF.

BTW, i don't eat:

dairy

nuts (though i am planning to try almond butter to see the reaction i have to it - tested positive for a hazlenut allergy so i pretty much stayed away from all nuts).

poultry and meat (i eat fish and eggs)

I'm just a bag full of surprises ain't i:D

Also, i need help coming up with a specific meal plan that covers around 2500 calories a day (i now only eat 1300-1500 as i am struggling with what to eat since i cut back on the carbs so much and have all these restrictions).

Any assistance would be appreciated!

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
As long as you don't fear fat, it is very easy to bump up your calories! :D Here's a sample day's meal, modified to work with no dairy or nuts. By adjusting how fatty the meat is and your serving size this can easily go from being a 1200 calorie day to a 2500 calorie day.

If you like, please post a sample day for you and we can suggest ways to bump up the calories. But the simple answer is add more fat.

Eggs scrambled in butter, ghee or coconut oil with bell peppers and crumbled sausage
Super thick Bacon

Beef brisket (cooked in tomato sauce)
Green Beans drowned in butter or coconut oil

Ribeye (with butter on top)
Spaghetti Squash with olive oil, salt and pepper
Salad with Ranch, Caesar or Oil + Vinegar (diced chicken or ham, cucumbers, sliced carrots)

Snacks
Steve's Original Jerkey
Salami

Desserts
Coconut Oil Chocolates
Jello with Whipped Coconut Oil
Horchata style ice cream (made with almond milk and coconut oil)

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
One more thing is that your title says Weight Training but you don't seem to mention ... weight training. To gain weight you may want to avoid cardio or any endurance exercise, focusing on "lifting heavy things"TM instead. Make sure to NOT lift every day,gi ving yourself the next day to recover (since your muscles don't get bigger while you exercise, they instead get bigger the day after when they are rebuilding).

You may want to check out some of the paleo resources online (such as Mark's Daily Apple or Robb Wolf's blog/podcast). Many of their readers are eating a similar diet to you and are working on gaining muscle. So you should be able to find a ton of advice that will work for your situation.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
First off I would ask you how are your bgs? Sometimes when our bgs are too high our body isn't using the nutrition from the food we eat and we can't gain weight. As far as putting weight on you probably need to be eating 4-5 small meals with some fat throughout the day. Is the reason that you don't eat so much because of allergies or you just don't like dairy, meat, poultry. I understand the nut allergies. If you can handle whey powder it would be the best thing to increase your protein. You can also get other protein powders that don't have dairy in them. As far as the fish I would choose the fattier fishes or cook them in significant fat. Coconut Oil is a good source of fat. If you can handle seeds bake your own breads with coconut flour, flaxseed, chia seeds and sesame seeds. If you cannot eat almond butter, try sunflower butter. Foods like Hummus and Babaganough are great for dips or sandwiches. As far as exercise you want to build muscle. Start with light weights and bars . I would work on arm muscles one day and leg muscles the next day. You want to let the muscle rest a day so it can break down and rebuild. I eat around 1800-2000 calories most days to maintain my weight. Most are in the form of cheese, nuts, seeds and small portions of meat. Try making MCS's chocolate fudge.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
As long as you don't fear fat, it is very easy to bump up your calories! :D Here's a sample day's meal, modified to work with no dairy or nuts. By adjusting how fatty the meat is and your serving size this can easily go from being a 1200 calorie day to a 2500 calorie day.

If you like, please post a sample day for you and we can suggest ways to bump up the calories. But the simple answer is add more fat.

Eggs scrambled in butter, ghee or coconut oil with bell peppers and crumbled sausage
Super thick Bacon

Salad with Ranch, Caesar or Oil + Vinegar (diced chicken or ham, cucumbers, sliced carrots)

Snacks
Steve's Original Jerkey
Salami

Desserts
Coconut Oil Chocolates
Great suggestions except i don't eat meat or poultry. I will post a sample daily menu for you so maybe you can pinpoint where i can bulk up my menu

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·

Super thick Bacon

Snacks
Steve's Original Jerkey
Salami

Desserts
Coconut Oil Chocolates
One more thing is that your title says Weight Training but you don't seem to mention ... weight training. To gain weight you may want to avoid cardio or any endurance exercise, focusing on "lifting heavy things"TM instead. Make sure to NOT lift every day,gi ving yourself the next day to recover (since your muscles don't get bigger while you exercise, they instead get bigger the day after when they are rebuilding).

You may want to check out some of the paleo resources online (such as Mark's Daily Apple or Robb Wolf's blog/podcast). Many of their readers are eating a similar diet to you and are working on gaining muscle. So you should be able to find a ton of advice that will work for your situation.
I'll check out the resources you mentioned. I am going to sign up at the YMCA and will get a personal trainer to help me put on weight. I definitely have not been doing any cardio except walking around my neighborhood and everywhere else (i live in NYC).

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
First off I would ask you how are your bgs? Sometimes when our bgs are too high our body isn't using the nutrition from the food we eat and we can't gain weight. As far as putting weight on you probably need to be eating 4-5 small meals with some fat throughout the day. Is the reason that you don't eat so much because of allergies or you just don't like dairy, meat, poultry. I understand the nut allergies. If you can handle whey powder it would be the best thing to increase your protein. You can also get other protein powders that don't have dairy in them. As far as the fish I would choose the fattier fishes or cook them in significant fat. Coconut Oil is a good source of fat. If you can handle seeds bake your own breads with coconut flour, flaxseed, chia seeds and sesame seeds. If you cannot eat almond butter, try sunflower butter. Foods like Hummus and Babaganough are great for dips or sandwiches. As far as exercise you want to build muscle. Start with light weights and bars . I would work on arm muscles one day and leg muscles the next day. You want to let the muscle rest a day so it can break down and rebuild. I eat around 1800-2000 calories most days to maintain my weight. Most are in the form of cheese, nuts, seeds and small portions of meat. Try making MCS's chocolate fudge.
Thank you for the helpful suggestions! Not eating poultry/meat is a personal choice. As for dairy, it breaks me out severely. I bought pea protein which i will use to mix into my green smoothies and i have bought almond butter and will try it to see if i tolerate it better than peanut butter. I will post a sample menu of what i eat so any suggestions would be helpful.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
My typical menu as is (i want to eat at a minimum 2500 calories a day- i may even need more when i start weight training). I am 137lbs and would like at a minimum to weigh 150lbs and look healthier.

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs with 1tbs olive oil 260 C
1/2 cup steel oats with 1/2 banana 350C

Lunch

salmon 250C (i can't afford to eat this everyday so what can i substitute it with?)
steamed veggies with 1tbs olive oil 160C
1/2cup quinoa 280C
1/2 avocado 100c

Snack

1/2apple 34c
1 slice sproated bread 80c
2tbs hummus (50C)

Dinner

1/2 cup quinoa 280 c
steamed veggies with olive oil 160C
tofu substitute (150)
1/2 avocado 100c

Trying to obviously cut back on the carbs, even if they're complex....help desperately needed.

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
Great suggestions except i don't eat meat or poultry. I will post a sample daily menu for you so maybe you can pinpoint where i can bulk up my menu
Oh! Sorry about that, I read your original post too quickly and misunderstood...

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
I obviously eat a very different diet but will do my best to provide suggestions! You may need to be more creative since your meats are limited to fish and eggs. :) But it definitely can be done.

Breakfast

2 boiled eggs with 1tbs olive oil 260 C
1/2 cup steel oats with 1/2 banana 350C
Eggs are a cheap source of quality nutrition. I would suggest eating 4, using more fat (e.g. 2 Tbsp) or doing scrambled eggs or an omelet adding in mushrooms, tofu or vegetarian sausage.

Instead of oats, you could try a grain-free hot cereal, similar to this but without the nuts.

Lunch

salmon 250C (i can't afford to eat this everyday so what can i substitute it with?)
steamed veggies with 1tbs olive oil 160C
1/2cup quinoa 280C
1/2 avocado 100c
I'm not sure how expensive fish is and which ones are the pricy ones. My only idea is to look for frozen fatty fish since it will be cheaper than fresh. Otherwise canned fish like tuna, sardines and mackerel may be cheaper.

For vegetables, you can try upping the protein by adding mushrooms or beans. Plus have you tried cooking with more oil or using coconut milk or coconut butter? It will give you more calories and is very tasty.

Avocado is great, goes well with everything. :)

As for snacks, the best I can come up with would be eggs or dried fish. I have seen smoked salmon though I have no idea if that's expensive... Hard boiled eggs make a great snack and would help counterbalance the carbs. Or have you tried deviled eggs? Those are delicious and mayonaise/mustard sound like they are allowed on your diet.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Or have you tried deviled eggs? Those are delicious and mayonaise/mustard sound like they are allowed on your diet.

I make a dozen every week and eat them frequently for b'fast and snacks. They are fatty and no carb, or very low carb. Since I don't do carbs well in the morning, they are almost as low carb as scrambled eggs.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I obviously eat a very different diet but will do my best to provide suggestions! You may need to be more creative since your meats are limited to fish and eggs. :) But it definitely can be done.

Eggs are a cheap source of quality nutrition. I would suggest eating 4, using more fat (e.g. 2 Tbsp) or doing scrambled eggs or an omelet adding in mushrooms, tofu or vegetarian sausage.

Instead of oats, you could try a grain-free hot cereal, similar to this but without the nuts.

I'm not sure how expensive fish is and which ones are the pricy ones. My only idea is to look for frozen fatty fish since it will be cheaper than fresh. Otherwise canned fish like tuna, sardines and mackerel may be cheaper.

For vegetables, you can try upping the protein by adding mushrooms or beans. Plus have you tried cooking with more oil or using coconut milk or coconut butter? It will give you more calories and is very tasty.

Avocado is great, goes well with everything. :)

As for snacks, the best I can come up with would be eggs or dried fish. I have seen smoked salmon though I have no idea if that's expensive... Hard boiled eggs make a great snack and would help counterbalance the carbs. Or have you tried deviled eggs? Those are delicious and mayonaise/mustard sound like they are allowed on your diet.

Great suggestions! Is it safe to be eating that many eggs per day? Also, How many carbs should i be eating per day? Should i keep the quinoa at lunch and cut it out at dinner? The dry cereal looks promising and i would have to replace the whey protein with pea protein instead. I will bring all this information to my nutritionist and hopefully come out with a usable meal plan.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sascha, we go through eggs like there's no tomorrow and there's only me & my husband here! And if I have deviled eggs made up, we go through them twice as fast. There is no risk in eating eggs - truly there isn't. I have to buy jumbo eggs so we can get an extra bite out of each egg & not have to buy 'em so often! :D

Yep - deviled eggs are a necessity over here.

You'll prob'ly have to use your meter to determine how many carbs per day. Set your top BG level (like 140 (7.7) & whenever something sends it over your predetermine level, that food has to go, or at least be restricted. If you're keeping a log of your bg and what you eat, then as soon as you're staying below that maximum bg level at all times, you'll know that's the level of carbs you can tolerate.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Thank you Shanny, Patdart and Daytona! I guess i just am imagining keeling over from a massive heart attack because of all the eggs and fats (no matter how good they are). Usually after 2 hrs after a meal, my BG is mostly in the late 90's (96, 97, etc) and a few times in the hundreds (below 110). I checked after 1 hr and it has never gone over 130. Does that mean a carb food is safe to eat? At this point i am on information overload and honestly, i am overwhelmed. If my steel oats keeps me in this range and i pair it with a nice, juicy, omlette, does that mean it gets to stay? Or should i move it as a pre workout meal so that it will be used as energy for exercise? I definitely plan on grilling my nutrionist about - EVERYTHING. For now, i will make adjustments to my meal plan as everyone has suggested. If anyone of you wonderful people could post a sample meal plan that you use (with calories info), i'd greatly appreciate it.

Thank you all - this has been a tough time so i appreciate all the love that has been flowing from this forum

Sascha

·
Premium Member
2,665 Posts
It sounds like your BG is doing well with the amount of carbs you are eating. I don't worry about the eggs/fat because of all the recent studies that show that saturated fat doesn't cause heart disease. I do restrict the types of fats I eat however. I stick to animal fats, coconut oil and olive oil and I avoid vegetable and nut oils (polyunsaturated fats).

If you are looking for more information on fats and nutrition:
* Cholesterol - You Can't Live Without It! (written by Chris Masterjohn a very smart bio-chemist)
* What If It's All Been A Big Fat Lie? NY Times - Gary Taubes
* What's Cholesterol Got To Do With It? NY Times - Gary Taubes
* Fat Head Movie (Watch it on 301 Moved Permanently or Netflix)

1 - 16 of 16 Posts