The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My friend and I walk two miles every morning. She had been trying to talk me into going to weight watchers with her, she would not go alone, for some time now. I do need to lose some weight for sure but was not sure about the weight watchers program. Does any one know how well this could work for a diabetic? Thank you for your answer.

·
Registered
54 Posts
My friend and I walk two miles every morning. She had been trying to talk me into going to weight watchers with her, she would not go alone, for some time now. I do need to lose some weight for sure but was not sure about the weight watchers program. Does any one know how well this could work for a diabetic? Thank you for your answer.
I do weight watchers point plus and seem to work well for me I have gone from weighing over 425 pounds down to 382 now

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I'm not super familiar with weight watchers but the points are based more on calories, not carbs. As a diabetic you need to watch carbs to keep bgs low as well as lose weight. I would go online and investigate it a little. I know a lot of there products are much higher carb than I could eat and stay under 110.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I'm not super familiar with weight watchers but the points are based more on calories, not carbs. As a diabetic you need to watch carbs to keep bgs low as well as lose weight. I would go online and investigate it a little. I know a lot of there products are much higher carb than I could eat and stay under 110.
I agree with this.

The Weight Watchers point system allows you so many points in a day. I know somebody that regularly starves themselves some days so they can gorge on a big dinner and dessert later in the day.

This isn't particularly healthy for diabetics. It's best if we eat regularly, and it's also best if we eat low-carb. Though calories have their place, it's just as important WHAT we eat, as it is how much.

Some people are under the impression they can eat whatever they want as long as they adhere to the points allotted, which isn't healthy thinking or eating.

Also, weight watchers seems to put little emphasis on exercise - most of their emphasis is on eating. Exercise is vitally important to ANY weight loss program. I'm pretty sure you now get 'activity points' for exercise, but it doesn't seem to be the focus of their meetings or their literature. Maybe it's because they sell food? (If you call that frozen, processed stuff... "food"...)

One thing weight watchers is good for is teaching "portion control", so if you have any issues with that, it might not be a bad thing to help you get at least some of the tools you need.

Also, there are people that seem to NEED that extra motivation that weekly meetings/weigh-in's gives them. I personally don't understand that, but I know that is something some people need. For me, I get all my validation internally... All I have to do is look how my pants fit vs. how they used to...

Certainly the Weight Watchers program, if followed as they recommend (rather than with the "I can eat anything!" approach) can help you lose weight. But it's expensive for some, and it's nothing you can't do on your own. (And for diabetics, it doesn't really stress the importance of low-carb... in fact, their current formula allows for more fiber than fat to be eaten, which doesn't work in our favor)

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
18 Posts
Several years back, I was maxed out on oral diabetes medication and 60 pounds overweight. I joined weight watchers and started a rather intense execise program (i was training for a 150 mile bike ride and averaged over 200 miles a week on my bicycle). In a few months I dropped the 60 pounds and got to where I was only taking 250 mg of metformin twice a day. I also reduced my blood pressure medicine to a very low dose of only one pill.

Points become rather precious and I would rarely spend them on high carb (high point) foods. Basically, the program with the enhanced exercise worked well for me at that time, but I was hungry alot. I greatly prefer my current low carb - high fat diet.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Also the new WW points plus has free fruit zero points...
Very high in sugar

Reactions: foxl

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
I also eat low carb, high fat. I guess it is a lot like the Atkins diet, but with some 'diabetic alterations'. One reason I didn't like WW when I tried it is because I had to measure everything I ate and felt like I was on a starvation diet. But on the low carb, high fat, I only have to count carbs.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Gizmo, can you share what your 'diabetic alterations' are on the Atkins diet? It's been my guide along with Bernstein's but I haven't had to be as strict as he is...I eat to my meter and it has let me do a few things he doesn't. However, in fairness, I'm not trying to go as low as he recommends.

Just curious and wishing to learn as much as I can,

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Gizmo, can you share what your 'diabetic alterations' are on the Atkins diet?
It's more or less phase 1 with alterations, but I don't worry about trying to get into ketosis. You wouldn't like my alterations because I'm more restrictive than the Atkins diet since I am type 2 and don't take any meds.

I eat meat, fish, poultry, saturated fats only - like butter, olive oil, real mayo. I use eggs, hard cheese, heavy cream - no milk, some nuts - mostly almonds. No fruit, only veggies low on the glycemic index, but I eat a lot of those. The only whole grain/starches I have are low carb tortillas for wraps. Other than that, I have no or low carb items like certain sugar free gelatins, pork skins and such.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
We are twins! I do eat a few berries and am in ketosis, but I also am type 2 with no meds. I do eat pork skins now and then as snacks and i too use a tortilla now and then, but not often. Otherwise we are using the same diet...I tweaked Atkins too.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
We are twins! I do eat a few berries and am in ketosis, but I also am type 2 with no meds. I do eat pork skins now and then as snacks and i too use a tortilla now and then, but not often. Otherwise we are using the same diet...I tweaked Atkins too.
Actually, I rarely eat a tortilla, I mostly use no-carb boiled ham for my wraps, and I see your signiture says "Age 72 young
No diagnosis because I caught it myself by asking for an A!C and by the time I saw the Dr. it was down below ADA level for diagnosis." That is exactly the same thing that happened to me, so the doctor considers me to be non-diabetic, but I know different. So except for the fact you have a couple of yrs. on me (but ONLY a couple), we could be twins... maybe sisters. :)

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
Red, sorry we hijacked your thread. I'll try to bring it back on track for you. Here was your original post:

·
Registered
54 Posts
weight watchers

They used to count calories now they just count your carbs, fat, protien, and fiber it is the new point plus program they came out in 2010 in Nov

1 - 14 of 14 Posts