The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My wife and I went walking (as I usually do every night). When we were done, I was feeling a bit peckish, so we split a package of granola bars (2 bars in 1 pack). So I munched on that granola bar and cooked myself some eggs with mixed veggies (brocolli, carrots, cauliflower, peppers, and onions).

I topped all of that with a single slice of pepperjack cheese, a little bit of turkey lunch meat, and 1 slice of toast with heart healthy butter and low sugar strawberry jam.

So after eating that, I test my BG an hour later...whoa! 225 mg/dL!

I hadn't taken my metformin all day as it was making me feel sleepy/lightheaded for the last few days and my BG all day had been coming out within "normal" levels!

Needless to say, I just took a metformin pill and will test again in an hour. I'm pretty sure it was the granola bar that caused the spike. It's definitely off the menu!

*EDIT*
Ok, so I jumped the gun and tested my BG again (yeah, yeah it's a little early). So guess what? 104 mg/dL! :eek:

The heck...? There's no way the metformin could working that quickly...or could it? :confused:

*DOUBLE EDIT*
Tested again a few minutes ago, 99 mg/dL. This is the type of reading I've had all day without the metformin.

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
I assume your not a T1 (your on metformin)

first off going on and off of metformin is not going to work. Its not like aspirin that works for 4 hours and then is gone, metformin takes 3 to 6 weeks to do its thing. It can also take that long for the side affects to go away so going on and off is not fair to you or the med.

Since your T2 sometimes your pancreas works having high BG can cause the pancreas to work its Little but off and make a lot of insulin.

since your in the US if you look on the side of the wrapper that the granola came in it will tell you how many carbs and of that carb how much of it was sugar.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Oh, I hear you. I've been on Metformin for about 1 or 2 months now.

The granola bar I ate was a Nature's Valley Oats 'n Honey bar. 2 per package, I ate only one.

15g carbs
1g fiber
6g sugars

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Metformin is probably NOT what is making you sleepy ... it may be the normalization of your blood sugars that is though ...

STAY AWAY from those granola bars.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
Gotcha! They're off the menu for good!

I'm having a rough time this morning; BG read fine but I'm pretty darn hungry a little woozy feeling. It's kind of freaking me out. I guess I need some carbs.

Just took my BG readings again; 103 mg/dL. I'm feeling the symptoms of hypoglycemia though. I'm really confused. I haven't taken any metformin today yet either. This definitely feels the way I did when I was on Janmet; wooziness, cold sweats, etc.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
No you don't need carbs. Fix up a nice big pile of bacon/ham/sausage & eggs and you'll be fine. NO CARBS! y'hear?! :D :D :D

(oops - looks like you edited your post right when I responded . . . )

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
If 103 is lower than normal (still Good number) It may be your body thinking its low because its used to high numbers.

eat some protein. NOT CARBS carbs will raise your BG.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I hate to admit it, but I am a hypochondriac. I'm damn near obsessive about my health.

The dizziness, cold sweats, panicked feeling - all classic symptoms of anxiety. I need to reign this in and over-worrying about my BG is not helping. Daily test show normal BG results after I eat.

Dang, I probably need some therapy. :)

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
I hate to admit it, but I am a hypochondriac. I'm damn near obsessive about my health.

The dizziness, cold sweats, panicked feeling - all classic symptoms of anxiety. I need to reign this in and over-worrying about my BG is not helping. Daily test show normal BG results after I eat.

Dang, I probably need some therapy. :)
I bet it is false hypos.

And being an obsessive hypochondriac is a GOOD thing, if you have D! (one of the FEW times it IS a good thing! :rolleyes::p)

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Haha, yeah I suppose it can be good when diabetes is concerned. It's hellish otherwise. :(

My BG is looking pretty good. I just need to round up some grub and I'm sure I'll feel loads better.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Haha, yeah I suppose it can be good when diabetes is concerned. It's hellish otherwise. :(

My BG is looking pretty good. I just need to round up some grub and I'm sure I'll feel loads better.
Hey -- we are ALL here because we care! :rolleyes: So trust me, I know.

and if you wait a bit, that BG level will soon feel more normal to you!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks, I hope so.

I'm really new to this (just started monitoring Sunday!) so I'm not sure what to expect! Glad this place is here! It's great talking with people that have more experience with this than I do!

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Thanks, I hope so.

I'm really new to this (just started monitoring Sunday!) so I'm not sure what to expect! Glad this place is here! It's great talking with people that have more experience with this than I do!
Oh, wow -- you are REALLLLY a n00b! You will do GREAT!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Haha, thanks!

Yeah, and my doctor hadn't even instructed me to do this. I'm just doing it out of curiousity to see what my normal diet is doing to my BG levels. So far so good. It's about what I imagined. I just need to learn NOT to get carried away with things and I'll be all good.

:peace:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Haha, thanks!

Yeah, and my doctor hadn't even instructed me to do this. I'm just doing it out of curiousity to see what my normal diet is doing to my BG levels. So far so good. It's about what I imagined. I just need to learn NOT to get carried away with things and I'll be all good.

:peace:
Oh, good GRIEF. MDs seem to be so clueless about D!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yeah, I did find it weird when he didn't mention it. The most he says is to watch my carbs/sugars, excersize, and check my feet. LOL, he's a good guy though and a pretty good Doc.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
When I was first diagnosed I would get false hypos at around 90. It took about 3 or 4 weeks but now I don't even feel them generally when I am in the 70s. That is not to say it is that way all the time. Yesterday I was shaking and my stomach had that "OMG I AM SO HUNGRY RIGHT NOW I AM ACTUALLY EATING MYSELF!!" feeling. I was going to just treat because I figured it was a low. I tested, some little voice inside my head told me to, and it was around 115. I had some peanuts and went on my way feeling bad for a few more hours.
So I guess the whole point of this post is that I don't know why the heck we feel like we do sometimes! :confused:

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Yeah, I did find it weird when he didn't mention it. The most he says is to watch my carbs/sugars, excersize, and check my feet. LOL, he's a good guy though and a pretty good Doc.
So is mine, but he refused to test me for antibodies, even tho I was diagnosed in ketoacidosis, and already had autoimmune thyroid disease. I had to BEG. :eek: ... and there they were, of course. I still see him.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Ugh, that's awful. My blood work from 2 months ago indicated normal thyroid, liver and kidney functions. Just a high A1C count and some high cholesterol.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts