The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Even though you all here convinced me to test more that my doctor has asked I still have left Thursday as the day to test Fasting in the morning and in the pm just before dinner.

This morning Fasting 98
I eat breakfast and 5k run/jog. Pretty good work out and test 85
For lunck I had to have pizza two triangle type pieces not thick but not thin.
Later my wife gets some M & M's and puts about ten of them on my desk :eek:

After eating the junk today I felt kind of funny and thought I would be high tonight. (Erik don't yell at my eating failure now :D Kind of like it when you do though)
My test tonight at 5:30 is 59
I figure that can't be right so I test again 84
Now I am frustrated and test again on the other hand 68
Again for the fourth time and am 62

A week or so ago if you remember I was feeling tired. I don't feel tired but the same feeling as a week ago. Maybe I just have to tough it out for a while and let my body get use to the lower number.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Well lemme tell ye, Murph . . . these 60-somethings are LOW ENOUGH! :eek:

You may have had a reactive low . . . attained by spiking high after the pizza & candy, but then dropping rapidly. Others will know more about this than do I.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
pizza AND candy?!?!?!?!?!

:eek::eek::eek::eek:

i dont think i could eat that if you paid me! lol

i wish i had an answer for you, but i do not.

i will admit that im shocked that you of all of our members would succumb to that food!

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Last night I woke up around midnight feeling not so good. The idiot I can be at times I didn't think of testing. Anyway this morning I am at 95 at feel light headed yet.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I think for type 2 diabetics the problem arises when we eat high carb items like pizza and candy, our liver stores more glycogen. Even though this may not spike us initially the effects of the stored glycogen can last for days. I find when I do something like that my carb cravings return and my bgs will be off for days. As far as the 60 something numbers I would agree with Shanny. It was probably a Reactive Low. You spiked very high and then crashed to 60's. The speed of the crash is what makes you feel sick. Since you don't test a lot you really don't know how many of these you are having. Are you on meds? Certain meds may also make you have more of these reactive lows, too.

·
Registered
344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think for type 2 diabetics the problem arises when we eat high carb items like pizza and candy, our liver stores more glycogen. Even though this may not spike us initially the effects of the stored glycogen can last for days. I find when I do something like that my carb cravings return and my bgs will be off for days. As far as the 60 something numbers I would agree with Shanny. It was probably a Reactive Low. You spiked very high and then crashed to 60's. The speed of the crash is what makes you feel sick. Since you don't test a lot you really don't know how many of these you are having. Are you on meds? Certain meds may also make you have more of these reactive lows, too.
I am on no meds at this time. And I do test a lot more than I used to. It used to be just one day a week two times in that day. Now I am testing two hours after most meals so two to three times a day.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Your A1C is really good and your numbers and control are generally really good. I wouldn't worry too much about this one instance. Eat to your meter and keep doing what you're doing.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts