The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
My A1c today stayed right at 6.0, which doc is happy with, but I am not. ;) Even before the results came back, I had told him I wanted to go lower, so he won't be surprised that I continue to pursue the elusive 5%.

The lipids profile looks better to me, but he has already suggested statins again, so I think he didn't compare today's numbers with my tests from last May.

Total cholesterol stayed essentially the same: 219 in May and 220 now.
Triglycerides dropped from 308 to 212.
HDL dropped from 45 to 43 :(
LDL rose from 112 to 135, and I have now suggested to doc that large fluffy particles are common with a low-carb way-of-eating, so perhaps mine are large & fluffy and no cause for alarm. We will see - this is not over yet!

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
My A1c today stayed right at 6.0, which doc is happy with, but I am not. ;) Even before the results came back, I had told him I wanted to go lower, so he won't be surprised that I continue to pursue the elusive 5%.

The lipids profile looks better to me, but he has already suggested statins again, so I think he didn't compare today's numbers with my tests from last May.

LDL rose from 112 to 135, and I have now suggested to doc that large fluffy particles are common with a low-carb way-of-eating, so perhaps mine are large & fluffy and no cause for alarm. We will see - this is not over yet!
Will he authorize a VAP test so you can find out? I did, (my LDL is 132 which I like) and it came back all Type A. My doctor stopped talking about statins and notated the lab report saying the LDL was "a little high" but particle size was "favorable".

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Will he authorize a VAP test so you can find out? I did, (my LDL is 132 which I like) and it came back all Type A. My doctor stopped talking about statins and notated the lab report saying the LDL was "a little high" but particle size was "favorable".
We'll be discussing that very thing when we go back in a couple weeks - thanks, Salim.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
It is my understanding LDL is a caluclated number. My last total cholesterol was 202 and I had a 94 LDL and 89 HDL and 95 Trig. So I am not sure what the formula is. It does sound strange though. 6.0 is a great HbA1c. I know last year I went to one of those screenings at the local drug store and was so bummed out because it came out 6.7. I was sure the thing was wrong because most of my reading were in the low 100's. But it gave me new motivation to decrease carbs and increase exercise. When I did it 4 months later it was 5.3.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts

Shanny - I would be delighted if my A1C was 6%. My last A1C was 6.8 and the one before that was 5.9 (my first time in the 5's). You shine :) :)

·
Registered
235 Posts
Hi Shanny.. Those are good number for your age... I have seen alot worst out there after i been to a few class for Big D course..

Even it is 1% does it makes a lot of difference? I am still very new to this..

Well, look on the bright side!! You are a role model to everyone of us here! :hail:

Cheer up and Congrats on your results! :tea:

PS: I am worried about mine as my BG's are creeping up!! :(

G

·
As Linda says, LDL is a calculated number. My numbers check out using this formula.

Ah, then I'm guessing you have a typo in your original post and meant to say that your total cholesterol is 220 not 120?
That would explain my confusion.

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
Well dang it - but let's just call that a .1 error, shall we? And I say good job holding on tightly and not losing ground. Cheers - the coconut oil is on the house!

Now, the question is - what if we get a VAP and find out we have the small dense kind of LDL. Then what? Armed with that infomation we .... we ... keep doing the same thing hoping for different results the next time?

If one isn't willing to take statins, then what strategy is there other than keeping on w/ the fish oils and natural fats and low carb?

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Ah, then I'm guessing you have a typo in your original post and meant to say that your total cholesterol is 220 not 120?
That would explain my confusion.
You may be right, Peter . . . whatever it says in my signature is the correct figure. I'll have to go find that other post & edit it. Thanks for the heads-up!

·
Registered
1,491 Posts
Regardless of missing the coveted 5% club, you've got great numbers and should be proud of 'em shanny!

... and your in good company - I'm also still a 6.0 ... I'm working on reducing it for my late December test... But who knows.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Well dang it - but let's just call that a .1 error, shall we? And I say good job holding on tightly and not losing ground. Cheers - the coconut oil is on the house!

Now, the question is - what if we get a VAP and find out we have the small dense kind of LDL. Then what? Armed with that infomation we .... we ... keep doing the same thing hoping for different results the next time?

If one isn't willing to take statins, then what strategy is there other than keeping on w/ the fish oils and natural fats and low carb?
Did that happen to you or is it a hypothetical question?

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
SO close!!!!

·
Banned
158 Posts

Congrats on the lipids!!! :target:
That's a HUGE drop in your Triglycerides!! Your HDL is still good b/c it's >40!! and LDL isn't too far off.

All my lipids are out of whack and I'm looking forward to getting some lower numbers, too.

So, CONGRATS on your progress!! :)

·
Registered
62 Posts
I'd like to make the 5% club myself, but it seems that all I can do is roller-coaster. When I get close (6.1 has been my best number recently,) I tend to backslide a bit and the next number is a few tenths of a point higher.

My lipid panel is very like yours - 230 total chol; 149 LDL; and 47 HDL; with trigs at 168. That's a near record low for me in trigs - I started this journey at 635!! As hard as I try, I can't get below 150 and have concluded that this must be a genetic thing.

All we can do is what we can do and stressing over it makes things worse so I'm just doing the best I can and sticking with it. We're not kids anymore and I'm sure that's part of the challenge. Hang in there, Shanny!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
The lipid numbers my doctor concentrates on are the ratio of the Trigs to the HDL. He tells me to aim for 2 or lower to keep maximum heart health. So if you could raise your HDL and lower trigs I wouldn't worry about the LDL. I think I am going to find out how much a VAP test costs at my next appointment.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.