The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
He-e-e-elp!

You will have to excuse me if I'm typing this in the wrong place, I'm new to diabetes and new to forums (I've led a sheltered life! What is a tag anyway?).

As someone (female) who was diagnosed with borderline type 2 a couple of months ago I've read anything and everything I could get my hands on. What I can't understand is that everybody says I have to watch my weight. Well okay, but I was not overweight before having problems and the only place I've put on weight since then is around my middle. When I tried to lose weight I found I could lose it easily ...everywhere except around my middle. So I now have thin arms, legs and everywhere else but. (All I need is the hairy feet and I'd look like a hobbit.)

I've now been told by a pharmacist that the excess weight around the middle is typical. So here's the confusing bit. The mechanism for putting on weight in the normal way seems to be well-known, yet nobody seems to know what the mechanism is for diabetics putting on weight around the middle, or do they? If we knew we could tackle the problem.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit too scientific but if I can do something about the situation I will.

Good luck to you all in fighting the good fight!

Corky.

·
Registered
663 Posts
Hello & Welcome to Diabetes Forums.

Next time that you visit the doctor, Ask them about Diabetes. Do you feel that you are hungry and at the toilet more often. In general a balance of food and exercise is the key for good health!! Once that you take meds then things can become complex. Exercise is our main problem and make use if the food that we eat. :)

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello Corky, welcome! I have the same shape as you, even though I have been a diabetic for 64 years. I lost 4 inches in my waist by cutting my daily carb count to 130g and exercising every day. It came off very gradually but it looks much better. I still need to lose 3 more inches. I have very good control of my diabetes, so I cannot really complain. Good luck with your problem.

Richard

Reactions: sigsauer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thank you!

Thank you both Anthill and Richard ...it was great to hear from people who have 'been there, done that'.

Yes I have been to the GP and had all of the tests, I seem to be just about holding my own with the blood sugar tests. It was the GP who told me I had to lose the extra 7 kilos I am carrying around my middle.

I am trying hard to lose it so I will never have to go on to an injection regime, and have lost over three kilos so far, but it's a bit of a shot in the dark at the moment. As I said, the weight seems to be coming off everywhere but there.

Maybe I will have to get used to it! Incidently, it would be interesting to know if all diabetics have this problem ...as I walk along I keep noticing people who are carrying extra weight in the middle region and wonder if they too have diabetes. (Humour me, I have an over-developed sense of the ridiculous.)

Byee,

Corky.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
For the first 45 years of my diabetes I was never more than 5 pounds above my ideal weight. I was using insulin taken from pigs all those years. When I started modern day insulins I gained weight. I gained 57 pounds in about 5 years time. My waist did increase in size at a faster pace than the rest of my body. The low carb and exercise routine helped so much. I could have made better choices on types of food, but I just watched my total carb intake. I should have eaten less fatty foods and less pasta. I watched my portions but I could have eaten those foods less often.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
It is common for diabetics, especially type 2 with insulin resistance to gain weight in the abdomen. My endo's office does a waist measurement actually at every visit (much to my dismay!)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Hi Corky and welcome to the forums. I have the same problem. I am 5'8 and 134 pounds. The only meat I have on me is around the waist. If you find the magical secret to losing this let me know. If I try to lose weight, I start to look anorexic.
Good Luck With your battle

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hello to everbody who has taken the time to write back to me ...thank you to you all! I've learned more from you in acouple of days than in two months from the 'experts'. They just seem to talk around the subject.

But I reckon we all deserve better, don't you?

As I'm sick of reading about warnings aimed at people who already have waist-level weight and there's nothing about the possibility that people may actually gain this weight because of the diabetes, I will approach the people who are doing the world-famous research here in New Zealand (they have just started people-testing for their latest remedy for type 1) and see if there's anything going on in the scientific world to explain why it happens.

I will let you all know the result.

The best of wishes and heaps of good thoughts to you all,

Corky.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Diabetics, especially T2's often gain weight...especially in the abdomen when they are not in good control. T2's cannot move insulin into the cells properly due to insulin resistance, making their blood glucose high. When insulin cant move it into the cells, it gets stored as fat...most often belly fat. So which came first...insulin resistance causing weight gain....or weight gain causing insulin resistance? Personally I think it is both factors caught up in a vicious cycle. Many diabetics, once they get their blood sugar under control, and start eating a more healthy lo-carb diet tend to find that they are able to lose weight that they hadnt been able to lose easily before.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Type 1, 5-3 . . . I'm going to step in here to welcome you, and to caution you about rebutting our members' personal experiences, not to mention critiquing the words with which they present their own facts. Pam has been a diabetic her entire adult life, and she is a registered nurse going for her masters degree. I think if I were you, I would be more careful about overriding her information with whatever it is that you are presenting.

I'm going to be brutally frank here, in saying that your own posts strike me as suspicious. If you have a hidden agenda, then give us all a break and state your case forthrightly. If you're only here to argue what we already KNOW to be true by virtue of personal experience, then give us a break and leave.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Type 1, 5-3, I am finding many of your statements almost impossible to understand. Your grammar and sentence structure is terrible. For example, you used the phrase "I know there are many people who doesn't not know" in the preceding post. That makes part of your discussion very difficult to comprehend.

In the future I want you to give links to any information that you have used from Google, or any other search option. If your information comes from a text or book, I want you to give that reference too. I was a moderator on another diabetes site in 2007. People were found copying and pasting information without giving any link or reference. They were warned and had to comply to be allowed to maintain their memberships. Thanks for your cooperation.

Richard

·
Registered
663 Posts
First of all you do not discuss how much insulin to pump, you try to find out WHY the bloodsugger level is high. Back to drawing board.
We discuss everything that we experience on this forum.

Why are you obese? Very simple. You do not move arround to the extent that the B/S is lowered. So the best thing should be diating and exercicing?
Shure, Exercise with the right fuel for your body. Diet the right way with food that you prepare yourself and stay away from fast foods as there are far too many carbs in them.
Lets just for a second asume that you have visited a professional in the medical field. In that case we can roul out lack of Vitamin D and problems with the mitochondrians and function of Beta-cell.
Are you by any chance having a hard time at work or privatly. This might just be the reason for the size of your stomach. Stress is not yet classified as a sickness in all countries, but this will come. No body know what stress really is except for the fact that it inceases the blood suggar level in a bad way. The outcome of this is probably that the unused suggar goes back to the liver and on to your litle tommie, the cortisol receptors. When we become big enough ther is an infection setting in "killing" the proteins IRS-1 and IRS-2, creating insulin resistence. You think you can go jogging and solve the problem by useing the energy. Sorry but the stress will not buy that. If you snore during nights, the neiborgh kid had an accident, if uou are dieting, if your stommach is chemicle active during sleep, it is all stress.
Fire away, i will do my best to anser you questions.
First of all, Please make some use of a spelling software so that we can understand you.

There is no such thing that there is bad Blood Glucose!! Why BG is up because that the body signals the liver to raise the BG level to repair the damage that part of your body. This is why stress is is also doing the same thing.

But why do we gain weight?
As usual the proteins are involved. One of them TPH-2 control stress and depression.
What is TPH-2 represent?

Insulin act as a key to the cell, unlocking it for the energy to enter. The lubrication of the lock is carried out by protein IRS-1 and IRS-2.
What are IRS 1&2? Please explain yourself.

In this environment it would seem to struggle in vain.
Your MSG is a classic example of how not to behave on the web.
Your acronyms is not explainable. Don't expect that we understand it.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Hello Pam!
I'm not writing this to give you a hard time. But the expression “not in good control” can be interpreted in a very wrong way, even if I know exactly what you mean by it. Friends and other people often use expressions that gives the diabetic type 2 feelings of guilt. Personally I'm quite convinced that this will be received as stress. This is no way to do it.
Insulin act as a key to the cell, unlocking it for the energy to enter. The lubrication of the lock is carried out by protein IRS-1 and IRS-2.
I'm not quite sure I can follow your effect or meaning. If we run in order to catch the subway or are having a cold or another infection there will be an increase in B/S. This mean that Glucose will go to the power station of our bodies the mitochondrians as a substance called ATP. Organelle in the cell produces ATP molecule and its amount for the type of cell. ATP/ATD burning the energy. Increased B/S together with increased blood lipids and increased oxygen levels together with decreasing levels of antioxidants (comes with age) will produce free radicals and oxidative stress. These free radicals will then promote a number of serious diseases. One of them is Diabetes type two.
Without having specifically Diabetes in mind one should make 3-4-6 sure that correct food is eaten so that the antioxidants stops the free radicals. These radicals is a real problem to our bodies..
I do not like the idea or approve any food regime. Take for instance LCHF. I agree that it occasionally actually lower the B/S.
But your body is in great need of a plate with all the ingredient mixture. But low carbs will mean that you need to have both vitamin and mineral injections in order to avoid medical bills. Furthermore there is an established link between HF to liver cirrhosis and liver cancer.
Oh no worries...you arent giving me a hard time...I have been given a truly hard time by much worse :) I will agree that many statements by people are easily misinterpreted. I can see how you might misinterpret what I say, the same way I find it difficult sometimes to figure out what you are saying. It happens. When I refer to diabetes being out of control, of course I am referring to having high blood sugars all the time. In no way do I say that is the fault of the patient. It is very possible to be doing all the right things and really making an attempt, but the body isnt responding as quickly as you like. I will only say it is the fault of the patient when they *know* they are diabetic and completely ignore it and make bad choices. I dont think they are bad people...but the lack of control is mainly because they arent doing what needs to be done. I have been in that situation myself before, so I know what it is like and I take ownership of my mistakes :)

I do understand what you are trying to say about stress and cortisol levels, and that stress will reek havoc with your body. I will even go so far as to agree with that point. I am assuming LCHF means low carb high fiber? I am not familiar with that acronym so sorry if I am not understanding you again here. Low carb does not always mean you are going to be deficient in vitamins and minerals. Many people that adopt a low carb diet include many healthy, complex carb whole grains in their diet. Low carb does not mean that you survive on nothing but steak and pork chops :)

While I do understand your obvious distaste for "diet regimes" the simple fact is that many diabetics with high insulin resistance really have no other choice than to restrict carbs in order to maintain their blood sugar at a healthy level. Its just a fact. Sometimes you have to rob Peter to pay Paul.

On a personal note, you might find that getting your ideas across with any amount of acceptance will go much easier when you use a little tact, and a little respect. After all, you cant expect people to respect you and your opinions, when you cant show them the same respect that you want...know what I mean? Its easier to catch flies with honey than with vinegar :p

·
Registered
1 Posts
me too!!!

He-e-e-elp!

You will have to excuse me if I'm typing this in the wrong place, I'm new to diabetes and new to forums (I've led a sheltered life! What is a tag anyway?).

As someone (female) who was diagnosed with borderline type 2 a couple of months ago I've read anything and everything I could get my hands on. What I can't understand is that everybody says I have to watch my weight. Well okay, but I was not overweight before having problems and the only place I've put on weight since then is around my middle. When I tried to lose weight I found I could lose it easily ...everywhere except around my middle. So I now have thin arms, legs and everywhere else but. (All I need is the hairy feet and I'd look like a hobbit.)

I've now been told by a pharmacist that the excess weight around the middle is typical. So here's the confusing bit. The mechanism for putting on weight in the normal way seems to be well-known, yet nobody seems to know what the mechanism is for diabetics putting on weight around the middle, or do they? If we knew we could tackle the problem.

Maybe I'm sounding a bit too scientific but if I can do something about the situation I will.

Good luck to you all in fighting the good fight!

Corky.
Hi Corky

I am exactly the same!! I have tried everything and I too have skinny legs, arms, bum, but I can't shift my wobbly pauch of a stomach!:confused:
I didn't realise there was a connection to my diabetes untill I was reading Antony Worrall Thompson's diabetes weight loss diet and they mention it there. I have had diabetes since I was 9 and I am now 26. I am not overwieght at all I just sort of fold in the middle!!!

I can't find any definitive answers on line and it seems doctors can't either ....One ok article i found basically says doctors aren't sure if its chicken or egg...does the fat around the waist cause diabetes or does diabetes cause the fat around the waist. WHo knows?! but at 9 I was a rake without an inch of fat in sight...like most kids who get diagnosed with type 1.

Good luck
Lizzybee xx

·
Registered
663 Posts
WHo knows?! but at 9 I was a rake without an inch of fat in sight...like most kids who get diagnosed with type 1.
Meh, I was the same. :(

1 - 16 of 16 Posts