The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My new ophthalmologist sez I have minimal but still SOME diabetes damage to my left eye - the one that had the retinal detachment. And actually the damage is RELATED to the detachment, since it appears to be only where the scleral buckle is installed. He emphasizes that it is MINIMAL damage, and thinks no intervention is needed.

I can't decide whether this is good news or bad news.

·
Registered
1,476 Posts
The fact that no intervention is needed sounds like extremely good news to me. I'd be partying.

Love the bunny!

·
Registered
709 Posts
Sounds like great news :)

Sent from my iPhone using Diabetes

·
Registered
2,232 Posts
I have to agree with the general sentiment here and that is that it's good news. Considering the damage is related to the retinal detachment, isn't it kind of obvious there would be minimal damage as a result of that? And if that's true, then the fact that you don't need any kind of medical intervention for your eyes is, in fact, wonderful news.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
My new ophthalmologist sez I have minimal but still SOME diabetes damage to my left eye - the one that had the retinal detachment. And actually the damage is RELATED to the detachment, since it appears to be only where the scleral buckle is installed. He emphasizes that it is MINIMAL damage, and thinks no intervention is needed.

Would it ease your mind if you got a "2nd opinion"? If another doctor was to come to the same conclusion as the 'new' guy - then I would try not to worry too much.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
I agree with the duuude - good news that it's related to the retinal detachment, i.e. not found in your good right eye. I love the word 'minimal' but do understand any commentary about anything found in our eyes doesn't make it seem like the best day ever.

Sounds like you're in pretty good shape though.

·
Registered
741 Posts
I know nothing about the subject but *hugs*

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
You know, sometimes I think these extremely specialized guys want to impress us with their acute powers of observation. :hippie: I think it is part of their theater, to justify the fees .... :p

I had a retinologist :rolleyes: tell me that I had hypertensive damage but not diabetic damage.

I went back and saw my optometrist and he said no hypertensive damage, he was quite confident.

So yeah I would not set much store by it! YAY, you!

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yep. I'll take that good news any day. :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay - I defer to y'alls better judgement! ;)

The other good news (sorta) is that he didn't remove the skin tag. I began to wonder how he'd do it, by freezing, burning or excision. It seemed to me like excision would be most exact, in view of the proximity of the tear duct. So I brought it up, partly because he was about 90 minutes behind in his appointments. Turns out he only does these procedures on Fridays anyhow (mebbe he oughta notify the schedulers of that!) so I'll call back in a few days & get a Friday appointment. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
206 Posts
Me too, I like the word MINIMAL and I also like no intervention :amen:

Anything that has to do with the eyes can be very scary. A big hug to you Shanny!

Reactions: Shanny

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Please add me to the Good News Chorus, Shanny!

And :hug: because you heard it from the Voooiiiice of Doooom! (Why do some docs do that?)

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Scary stuff but the news is good, methinks. :)

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Shanny, I would take it if I were you! It sounds like you are doing very well with keeping your organs healthy. When my diabetes and cholesterol stuff went way out of control two years ago, I went for my yearly eye exam and the optho freaked me completely out because my eye vessels behind the eye had so much fat in them that the color was pinkish rather than what it should be! I thought for sure I was going to die as soon as I walked out of his office. I guess whatever it was called is quite rare and he had never actually seen it in his lifetime practice. Yeah for me being his first! I walked out of that office so freaked out I thought I would just fall down and die. I got on some meds and watched my diet carefully and when I went back to him 3 months later, everything was normal again. Whewwww! So, if you had something that caused the minimal damage, then it is not necessarily diabetes related. Good for You! Hugs!

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
Had the ring of good news to me. I just recently had an eye exam myself, the doc said he spotted an old bleed, probably from when I had my heart surgery, everything was going south at the time. Wants to see me in 6 months just to make sure.

I read that skin tags are removed with an electroscapel, it carterizes the bleed at the same time the tag is removed. They wanted to charge around $5.00 a tag to remove them from me, and even then I would have to take out a loan to pay for all of them.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 · (Edited)
I'd need a loan if they were to remove all of mine too . . . this is the only one that's an issue because it's right next to the tear duct & that's why he wants to excise it - to avoid any possible damage to the tear duct. Depending on how wide the base of the stalk of it is, it may need a suture to close. I'll ask about the electric scalpel - if that's as precise as a regular scalpel & doesn't endanger the tear duct, it would be nicer than having a suture.

The damage IS diabetes-related, Renee - there are little broken vessels where the scleral buckle squeezes the eyeball - they weren't caused by the buckle, but have developed during the past year. And because the buckle has to remain in place to keep the retina stable, there isn't much he can do. Very good that it's minimal damage.

This is the scleral buckle:

Attachments

·
Registered
162 Posts

"Minimal" and "no intervention required" seem better than "major" and "intervention required". Cheers.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts