The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Hi all, went to Doc's, He seems nice, but using old school info, you know 'low GI' spoke to me slightly patronisingly, and slightly superior,
then saw the Nurse who was worse, thought info from forum was work from the devil, I just smiled and drove home shouting out the window, thank God I have this Forum.
Yep, been there - got the tee-shirt!

Twelve months down the track, I let my blood glucose and Cholesterol figures speak for themselves. Any doctor who wants to tell me that an A1c of 5% with a triglyceride figure of 0.64 are bad is welcome to explain where he gets his ideas.

Don't "fall out" with them over it - just make the appropriate noises and then come home and stick to low carb!

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
Since I get such great results my doctor doesn't question me now. He actually says he wishes his other patients were like me. He says he gets diabetics all the time calling him up with very high bgs and no clue why they are so high. The patient will say all I had was Pecan Pie, Potatoes, several biscuits and corn. What we preach is very simple. Eat to your Meter. I'm not sure why any doctor would be uspest with people testing after meals to see how their bgs spike with food and avoiding those specific foods. None of us are starving on the diets we have chosen.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
Since I get such great results my doctor doesn't question me now. He actually says he wishes his other patients were like me. He says he gets diabetics all the time calling him up with very high bgs and no clue why they are so high. The patient will say all I had was Pecan Pie, Potatoes, several biscuits and corn. What we preach is very simple. Eat to your Meter. I'm not sure why any doctor would be uspest with people testing after meals to see how their bgs spike with food and avoiding those specific foods. None of us are starving on the diets we have chosen.
My (French) doctor makes similar positive noises about my figures but he does give me a bit of hassle about testing.

The French "Haute Autorité de Santé" have, in their infinite wisdom decided that type 2s don't need to test and should rely on the quarterly HbA1c results to verify control (target HbA1c of 7% :confused:), so their rules say I shouldn't use more than 200 strips in a year. I'm running just two tests per day just now - I think that comes to 730 strips in a year, so I'm marginally over budget!

Bottom line is that if he gets really difficult, I'll take the 200 and buy the extras myself - I'm not prepared to sit around for 90 days waiting on a test with a basis of assessment that's way too far below the standard I want.

John

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In the US many of us have high deductible insurance so our strips aren't even covered until we have spent a huge amount, $6000 in my case. But I make that decision to test 1-3 times a day so I have an idea of how I am managing my diabetes. My doctor says 2 x per week is more than enough for a Type 2. What I find when I follow that advice is that I get lazy on my diet and eat things that I shouldn't because I know I am not testing and don't have to see a bg of 200+.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
In the US many of us have high deductible insurance so our strips aren't even covered until we have spent a huge amount, $6000 in my case. But I make that decision to test 1-3 times a day so I have an idea of how I am managing my diabetes. My doctor says 2 x per week is more than enough for a Type 2. What I find when I follow that advice is that I get lazy on my diet and eat things that I shouldn't because I know I am not testing and don't have to see a bg of 200+.
The French system is a compromise between the British system where NHS treatment is free (if you don't count the NHI contributions you have to make all your working life - much the same in France) but each item on a prescription is subject to a fairly hefty charge and the system in the USA where you've either got to have private insurance or pay for everything yourself (at least that's as I understand it).

The French system covers around 70% of the costs of treatment normally but when you get diagnosed with a chronic condition - such as diabetes - it covers 100% of direct treatment costs but only within the rules set by the Haute Autorité de Santé. So, if I need medication or insulin - that comes free, but step outside the rules and the doctor is likely to get his wrist slapped if he issues prescriptions for the stuff.

So, I'm expecting him to pull the plug on my strips next time I see him - so I'm living with the fact that my choice is buy strips or let my condition get bad enough to get free medication. :decision:
Difficult choice - isn't it! :juggle:
:wink:

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
In the US it is a little more complicated. There are thousands of different types of insurance. We are self employed and both over 60 so our rates are extremely high about $1050 per month with the high deductible. If you work for a large company than the insurance premiums are much lower and your employer pays a large share. So sometimes the deductibles are quite low if at all. Once we hit 65 we are elligible for Medicare which will only be about $97 a month for the basic policy but that only covers 80%, so most pick up a private supplemental insurance which may be as high as $300-500 per month. So that can get quite expensives. I think Medicare only allows 1 strip per day if you are on orals and 2-3 if you are on insulin.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
In the US it is a little more complicated. There are thousands of different types of insurance. We are self employed and both over 60 so our rates are extremely high about $1050 per month with the high deductible. If you work for a large company than the insurance premiums are much lower and your employer pays a large share. So sometimes the deductibles are quite low if at all. Once we hit 65 we are elligible for Medicare which will only be about $97 a month for the basic policy but that only covers 80%, so most pick up a private supplemental insurance which may be as high as $300-500 per month. So that can get quite expensives. I think Medicare only allows 1 strip per day if you are on orals and 2-3 if you are on insulin.
And here was I thinking the French health service charges were high!

When we moved here in 2004, Judy and I decided that since we were both healthy devils we wouldn't bother with a "mutual" as the French call their supplementary cover to handle the top 30% of costs. Even with the cost of my week in hospital last year, we're still winning on that one, but I think it's time to track down a mutual for Judy. I won't now be able to get cover given my pre-existing condition.

When I hit 65 next year, I don't have to keep paying into the health system myself since the UK retirement system will reimburse the French (after suitable bureaucracy) for my costs - but I'm still stuck with the top 30%.

Still it's not as bad as over your side of the pond!

John

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
As I say I new to needing all this health care stuff, but so far here in Australia, we only pay 1/3rd for strips once registered with a national Diabetes register, rest is paid for from Medicare, not sure about cost of insulin yet

·
Registered
741 Posts
hi Dura...just noticed you're from BB...*waves from Perth*

Reactions: Dura

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
Luckily, I can afford to buy my own strips at Wal-Mart because I never quite met the Medicare 7.0 requirement, and now as low as it is, I sure don't qualify! I am 71 and sure didn't want more problems than having sorta numb feet all the time, so I count my being able to control it thru diet. My meter is my 'diabetes educator' and boy is it a mean one. Now that I'm in control I'm not using so many strips and it's not a big burden. But, to get here, took a lot of strips and testing.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I wish I could only have to pay 1/3. With my insurance I have to pay just over 50%.. The one thing that is good is that the manafacturer kicks in $25 towards the copay

·
Registered
259 Posts
My BC/BS runs about $160 a month through my husbands employer. Which is WONDERFUL; my only problem is that the perscription coverage is point of sale. Which means I pay for everything up front and then wait to be reimbursed.
Lantus $200
Onglyza $211
Metformin $8
Glyburide $25
Provachol $18
Lipitor $still using samples
Citalopram $7
Pen Needles $36
this means that I pay $505 at the rx every month. I am then reimbursed 100% on generics and 80% on name brand and needles. So each month I still pay $90 copay. I have never paid any out of pocket expenses for my testing supplies through Advance Diabetic Solutions. I test 2x daily and they supply everything.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Cost of testing

I also have Anthem BC/BS Federal insurance through hubby. We pay around $350 for our portion, but I don't have copays for most regular dr visits or labs. I only pay a copay for test strips which ends up being about $20. Love that! I just picked up prescription for pen needles for insulin pens, and I couldn't believe it was $40 copay! Fortunately two of my oral meds are free through the pharmacy I go to. So my metformin is free every month (even though it is minimal since generic). It doesn't matter really how much it costs because it is a vital necessity for me, so I would get another job just to pay for my supplies. I'm not even sure how much the insulin cost...I just gave them my card and that was that. Again, doesn't matter right? It is a necessity at this point. I must take my meds and I must use my meter.
Secondly as far as any endo who tells someone that testing twice a week is enough for a type 2 is absolutely out of their mind! My endo told me to test at least 5 times a day! I'm so glad I found the endo I'm with now...she is caring, understanding, explains things so I understand them, actually told me to follow the Paleo diet (basically no carbs). I've been to at least 4 Endo's prior and they were all idiots! God complex, superior attitude, treat you like you are the stupidest person in the world, and couldn't give answers to my questions. I dropped all of them like a hot potato! No pun intended on that either! You need to find a really great doctor who will follow with you on making you healthier! Don't ever settle for a doctor who treats you like you know nothing.

Reactions: Dura and Shanny

·
Premium Member
6,162 Posts
My endo told me to test at least 5 times a day! I'm so glad I found the endo I'm with now...she is caring, understanding, explains things so I understand them, actually told me to follow the Paleo diet (basically no carbs).
Wow. I had to blink. You do have a good one!

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
Wow. I had to blink. You do have a good one!
I know Moon...it only took me 4 past Endo's, but I happened upon this one by chance. She is definitely a keeper! I feel as if I finally found the right doctors and right people to help me get control of my diabetes. Every one else was just frustrating the hell out of me! I will follow their advice and continue with my diabetes forum and I absolutely am in love with Blood Sugar 101! Thanks for all who recommended that website! It has sooooo many yummy low carb recipes that I can't wait to try.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts