The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I went to the Endo on Wednesday and we had a nice chat. He told me my numbers were very impressive and that he was moving me to visits every 6 months instead of every 3. This is a highly accelerated schedule as I was supposed to be seeing him quarterly for the first year or 2.
I also picked up an application to resubmit for a pump. I don't know if any of you remember but I had problems getting insurance to approve one last year but since insurance coverage has changed we are going to try again. Please keep that in your thoughts and prayers.
The reason I didn't write about this early is that I wanted to have my labs back. My A1C is down from 5.6% to 5.1%!! Everything else looked really good too. It is hard to believe that 7 months ago my A1C was over 14%.
Thanks so much for all of your encouragement and support. You guys mean more to me than you will ever know. I really feel like I am part of an awesome family here.
THANKS!!

·
Registered
165 Posts
wow fatnastic numbers. keep up the great work. are you ok w/ seeing your doc less considering you were only diagnosed in may?

·
Registered
344 Posts
wow fatnastic numbers. keep up the great work. are you ok w/ seeing your doc less considering you were only diagnosed in may?

Good question. I went to a one month then two three months ones and now none. :confused::confused: I asked why and they thought I had it under control plus since I have yearly checkups they would catch things then if I don't. :confused: I was just there for a check up but I think in five months I will make an appointment.

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
At first I was a little apprehensive about it. As I thought about it more I realized that I will still be calling my BG numbers in to him every week or two and will still be stopping by quarterly for labs. Since he is personally looking at all of this information, as am I, we will be able to spot any problems that need to be addressed relatively early and we can always make an appointment if the needs arises.
I'm kind of impressed that he would give up the office visit fee in order to just manage my care over the phone.

O

·
0 Posts
That's good news for your Joshua. I'm due to see my endo in Feb. I see him every 8 weeks usually at the moment. My last A1c was 8 so I'm still needing improvement. I've been continually sick which has been my problem and why endo is seeing me more regularly (it was every 6 weeks). I do know someone who has a pump and they told me they like it for BGL control, although the only disadvantage as they put it is having to change that needle every 3 days... apparently it's much longer than what most of us are used to seeing. She was making me laugh as she reckons her hubby almost faints at the sight of it. But we all are so used to needles & such with our condition... pin cushions. lol.

·
Registered
930 Posts
great reading!
but from my personal point of view you may have sunk your chance of a pump with that 5.1 %. like what do you need a $5000 pump for when you are well below the 6.5 % that they consider normal?

just saying

ColaJim

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
great reading!
but from my personal point of view you may have sunk your chance of a pump with that 5.1 %. like what do you need a $5000 pump for when you are well below the 6.5 % that they consider normal?

just saying

ColaJim
Because I want one and my insurance will cover it. That's enough for me. I'm tired of sticking myself 4 times a day and having to strategically plan my meals 4 to 6 hours apart.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I went to the Endo on Wednesday and we had a nice chat. He told me my numbers were very impressive and that he was moving me to visits every 6 months instead of every 3. This is a highly accelerated schedule as I was supposed to be seeing him quarterly for the first year or 2.
I also picked up an application to resubmit for a pump. I don't know if any of you remember but I had problems getting insurance to approve one last year but since insurance coverage has changed we are going to try again. Please keep that in your thoughts and prayers.
The reason I didn't write about this early is that I wanted to have my labs back. My A1C is down from 5.6% to 5.1%!! Everything else looked really good too. It is hard to believe that 7 months ago my A1C was over 14%.
Thanks so much for all of your encouragement and support. You guys mean more to me than you will ever know. I really feel like I am part of an awesome family here.
THANKS!!
Awesome :) I am keeping my fingers crossed for you pump! It sure does make life easier and offers *so* much more flexibility. Sending you good thoughts!!

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Awesome :) I am keeping my fingers crossed for you pump! It sure does make life easier and offers *so* much more flexibility. Sending you good thoughts!!
I definitely appreciate it! You're encouragement is one of the main reasons I've continued to pursue a pump. Thanks!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
That is great news and your A1C is fantastic. Good luck in getting a pump and I will be sending good thoughts your way! :):)

·
Registered
710 Posts
I'm tired of sticking myself 4 times a day and having to strategically plan my meals 4 to 6 hours apart.
Great results!

Just out of curiosity, why to you have to plan meals 4 to 6 hours apart because you're on MDI? I have a very variable meal schedule, sometimes skip them altogether, and don't seem to have any problem. (I know, I know...YMMV!)

Jen

·
Registered
1,090 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
If I don't eat in that type of time my numbers do some really funky things. If I eat to quickly I tend to spike if I wait to long I have bad lows. It might be a unique problem for me?

O

·
0 Posts
nah Joshua you're problem isn't unique... I'm the same. I try and eat every 4 hours. I'm usually having a hypo at 5 hours. Sometimes I have a hypo about 3 hours after eating too... hard to tell sometimes. I still haven't figured everything out... just when I think I've got it... it takes me by surprise. The other week I had a hypo 2 hours after eating. Maybe with me it has to do with how much insulin my body is producing itself... eg. I have no idea if it produces more sometimes than others?... but I've been told I need help permanently (eg. insulin injections).

1 - 13 of 13 Posts