The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So i'm originally from Washington State and i live in Southern California now.....So yeah i had just found out Sunday afternoon that a friend of mine died Friday and then i just got a call about 30 mins ago from my sister in law saying my Nephew is in ICU and just got diagnosed with Diabetes. I feel like Crap because there is no way i can afford to fly there. Here is a Crazy fact I am super Close with my Niece and Nephew (they are my babies i have taken care of them since they were born) My nephew just turned 10 in August. I Myself was diagnosed in December of the year i turned ten......i'm really not sure how to deal with this and with the fact that i can't be there. i'm sooo worried and he doesn't feel up to talking to me on the phone yet (which i compleatly understand). i'm having an emotional breakdown and a completely ***** week.

·
Registered
1,557 Posts
Oh my......you have had a rough week. The younger generation does a lot of 'texting'.....so could you send your nephew a text message to encourage him a little? Or if that isn't an option, maybe you could write him a snail mail with some helpful hints about diabetes that you have learned recently. He will probably take hints from you a lot better than from the nurses or maybe even his Mom. My kids were like that - they paid more attention to their Grandma and Grandpa than they did to me :) Sorry about your week......hang in there.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Strawberry has good ideas. He's probably processing as much as he's able, and while he might not be ready to talk about it, some input that doesn't require him to respond could be really helpful - especially coming from you.

You're going to be an awesome resource for him - he's lucky to have you as an aunt.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
((((PRPrincess)))) Just remembering that his favorite aunt lives with the same disorder is going to be helpful for him, and give reassurance that despite being very sick right now, he'll be okay & he'll learn how to manage it. Even if he doesn't have his own cell phone, you could text to his mom or another family member who can share it with him.

These little guys may not be tough, but they're resilient - bless his heart.

So sorry for the loss of your friend too, princess. Sending you all our love & support.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts