The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told fasting blood glucose should be under 5 (90 mg/dL)...

I was told blood glucose should be under 6 (108) after a meal...

Now for the A1C I'm told different things! :mad:

I'm told it shouldn't be over 8 but it shouldn't be too low either. Ok, what's too low? Never got an answer! My doctor goes by : 'You're doing well' or 'You're not doing well' and I seldom have numbers to work with. I want numbers. Comes December he will have to give me numbers.

What would be a good healthy A1C to strive for? I need goals. Without them I'm a bit lost. Then I lose my numbers. Argh! :help:

Next A1C is in December.

·
Registered
8,795 Posts
I've personally striven for under 5.5, but only set that goal after reading a lot and when I asked my doctor was advised anything under 6 would be fine. I do have some neuropathy in my feet is why I set a lower goal for myself to see if I could control it even better and get the feeling to return to my feet.

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
If you keep your fastings below 90 and after meal below 108 , I would think your HbA1c's would be in the high 4's to low 5's, which is normal range. I have difficulty getting my fastings under 100 but aim for after meal 110-120 and my HbA1c ranges 5.3 - 5.9 range. Everyone has different goals. I use an online chart to figure out where I want my numbers to be

Printable Diabetes Chart- Convert HbA1c to estimated Average Glucose(eAG)

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys! :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts