The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What do you think about Diabetic Sweets? I've discussed it with my doctor who's not sure what to advice. What do you think? There are several blog and articles claiming Diabetics Sweets aren’t necessarily off-limits.
Please advice?
Thank you

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
How exactly do you describe 'diabetic sweets'? Foods made with wheat flour but sweetened with artificial sweeteners? Commercial products or homemade low-carb foods?

My experience is that anything the industry labels 'diabetic', is not good for my blood sugar. If you doctor won't tell you to leave it alone, I certainly will. Leave it alone.

·
Registered
462 Posts
its NOT just sugar its carbohydrates that raise BG, ALL carbs raise BG.

Aside from that some "diabetic sweets" are made with Sorbatol/malitol which will make a LOT of gas
Sorbitol will do a hell of a lot more than give you gas if you eat too much of it. Ricola uses it in their sugar free cough drops. I found this one out the hard way, spent an entire day in the can.

I've found a small section in my local Wallgreens that has sugar free candy options, peanut butter cuts, chocolates, jolly ranchers and that kind of stuff. They are made with sugar alcohols so gastric distress/the squirts are a risk, even for small amounts with some people. Only way to know if they agree with you is to buy a few and eat 'em. Do it on a weekend.

Also remember low to no carb doesn't mean low to no calories. A lot of these sweets have just as many calories as their sugary counterparts. Sometimes more, because more fat seems to be added to get an acceptable taste. So watch your consumption.

·
Registered
5,911 Posts
Erythritol, though not frequently used commercially, is absorbed into the blood and thus less likely to be digested by gut flora and cause distress.

Make your own "sweets," if you feel the need. Take a look at the recipes for "fat bombs," in our recipes forum!

·
Registered
608 Posts
Lilly's and Sinless Raw Vegan are 2 chocolate bars that use stevia and Erythritol that you can find in earth fare or other co-ops or vegan/vegitarian groacery stores. I keep some at work or for trips, I make my own to eat at home, instead of chewing on mints or gum at work I keep bottle of mouth wash, I found its the refreshing mint flavor and breath improvement that I needed not the gum or mints.
I have some chocolate peanut butter squares in the fridge at home I made from coconut oil that taste amazing with some SF whip cream.

·
Super Moderator
6,162 Posts
Both Lilly's and Sinless have more carbs than I allow in my chocolate - and mine all use real sugar. I eat dark chocolate, though there are regular milk chocolate bars that are equiv to Lilly's w/ stevia so I'm not sure what the advantage is ... unless one particularly likes Stevia.

Lilly's from what I saw online is 20-24 carbs/40 grams (roughly) and I try to stay around 15. My favorite is Greens and Black Mint (oh la la!) but it's in the Lilly range so I stay away from it.

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
608 Posts
They erythritol is in the carb count as a sugar alcohol but its one if the few that's not metabolized, plus there is a quite a bit of fiber, I'm not big on net carbs but with these it seems to be accurate

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Fruits and yogurt or mils

But why not to combine some natural stuff. It's not necessary to be highly caloric. What i'm making at home is quite easy. Yogurt with some fruits in it. Put it in to freezer to get hard and is perfect. Yes it's not for everyone, using good forms and proper fruits could help a lot. Yes. This is not sweets generally tough but is quite close to it. I'm going far away from all fabric staff. Sorry not for me. For example this one Sugar Free Desserts of course with some modifications and tuning if i could say so. :)

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I just looked at the Lilly's "original" dark chocolate.

It's

22g "total"
minus 12g fiber = 10g
minus 6g erythritol * 90% (erythritol metabolizes at 10%) or 5.4 = 4.6 CARBS

That's better than most of the Atkins bars.

I'd eat half of one - if I could get them here!

Reactions: Dodie37737

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Sweets are a lot of work!

"No sugar added" or "sugar free" baked goods are usually made with wheat flour and all of the other carbs found in conventional baked goods.

Fruits can be a big problem for a lot of us. Berries are often the best tolerated (but not always).

Almost all the yogurt I can find is low- or non-fat, which also contains lots of carbs. (You'd think fat is illegal in the Bay Area. Someday, it just might be.)

Unfair but true: for some of us, certain sweeteners can spike just like sugar. Some sweeteners I once used without a problem started spiking me. Fortunately, I'd seen other Forum folk report this issue, so I started re-testing. Oops.

Testing is essential, and should be repeated periodically.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts