The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I want low fat, low carb, really low sugar recipes and I can't find anything worthwhile.

I'm mostly just making sugar free jello's with fruit or puddings or we have nothing. We all REALLY want dessert 2 or 3 times a week.

I make this all the time
small box any flavor s/f jello
1 tub light cool-whip
1 container low fat/no fat cottage cheese
1 can unsweetened fruit, usually pineapple, unless I make orange than I use mandarin oranges

dump jello into cottage cheese and stir til mixed, then add fruit and cool-whip until blended. It's really good... but still pretty high in carbs etc.

Any better suggestions?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Any better suggestions?
For what? Making it lower carb? My suggestion would be to forget the low-fat products completely - they are higher carb than the regular versions. If you drain the pineapple & rinse it (assuming you're used crushed), a few carbs would be washed away . . .

One of my favorite things is plain s/f jello with a generous dollop of real whipped cream. Then again, fat is not my enemy, so I have a little wiggle room here.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For making lower carb desserts mostly. My husband and I both seem to convert carbs into sugar before we even eat it and fruit causes us just about as much problems.

I have been sitting here giving myself carpal tunnel this afternoon looking for 2 or 3 good desserts, that you seem to get a lot of that is appropriate.

We're also trying to eat as fat free as possible because he just had quintuple bypass in September. Basically we're eating sticks and twigs washed down with air and water. :-\ We're not happy campers.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
We're also trying to eat as fat free as possible because he just had quintuple bypass in September. Basically we're eating sticks and twigs washed down with air and water. :-\ We're not happy campers.
Boy do I hear THAT! We have some good cooks around this ranch - surely someone has a secret recipe up their sleeve! Stay tuned! :)

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
What I really meant to say, if I hadn't been hit by a sudden alien visit of bad grammar is...
"I have been sitting here giving myself carpal tunnel this afternoon looking for 2 or 3 good desserts, what you seem to get a lot of recipes that are inappropriate for diabetics."

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Carrie, I LOVE your style! I hope you stay with us so I can continue to enjoy it! :)

And you're so right - there's big bucks in diabetic cookbooks/recipes, but diabetics quickly discover they are VERY inappropriate! I've given up searching for "diabetic" anything, and just limit my searches to "low carb".

What I really meant to say, if I hadn't been hit by a sudden alien visit of bad grammar is...
"I have been sitting here giving myself carpal tunnel this afternoon looking for 2 or 3 good desserts, what you seem to get a lot of recipes that are inappropriate for diabetics."

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
These are kind of good...I tried it recently and liked it. It uses almond flour (sorta pricey but good for a treat).

3 MINUTE CHOCOLATE CAKE
1/4 cup almond flour, 1 ounce
1 tablespoon cocoa
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoons plus 1 teaspoon granulated Splenda or equivalent liquid Splenda
2 tablespoons butter, melted
1 tablespoon water
1 egg

Mix the almond flour, cocoa, baking powder and granulated Splenda, if using, in a 2-cup glass measuring cup. Stir in the liquid Splenda, if using, butter, water and egg. Mix well with a spoon or fork. Scrape batter down evenly with a rubber spatula. Cover with plastic wrap * and vent by cutting a small slit in center. Microwave on HIGH 1 minute until set but still a little moist on top. I had to do mine for 1 minute 20 seconds. Cool slightly and serve warm topped with whipped cream or cool completely and frost as desired.

With granular Splenda:
Per Serving: 237 Calories; 22g Fat; 7g Protein; 7g Carbohydrate

I wish I could claim the recipe as my own, but I got it off a really great low carb recipe site called Linda's Low Carb.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
Those Carb Smart ice cream bars are pretty darn tasty too :)

·
Registered
4,368 Posts
I love the low carb Carb Smart bars and then my store discontinued them. Bummer. There are so many low carb desserts where do I start. You can melt about 1/3 cup coconut oil, mix in a few tablespoons of dark cocoa or chocolate whey powder, chopped nuts, a little peanut butter or whatever you want. Pour the melted chocolate in a plastic dish and freeze. In about 30 minutes you have low carb chocolate. I do a lot of things with chocolate whey powder, mix a few scoops with almond butter and a splash of Torani sf syrup and some chopped nuts. I roll into a rectangle and cut into fudge square. Keep in fridge. Check out this site Linda's Low Carb Menus & Recipes - Home She has tons of desserts all under 3 carbs.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thank you so much for the link to the website, I will look through all of this when I have some more time. I have a kiddo wanting attention and I'm sick of looking at recipes right now LOL

I did find a recipe for carmel cheesecake under 15 grams of carbs and 5 grams of sugar. I can't wait to try it.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts