The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello, everyone.

A friend of mine has insulin dependent diabetes for almost 50 years, so she will be soon qualified for a Joslin medal. She lives in Russia. The medical care there ... Yeah, it could be better. Now, suppose that she submits the necessary documents and receives the medal. Can this medal make her further life easier in any respect, like discount on drugs, possibility to obtain a medical treatment abroad, a better medical help etc, or this is mostly a symbolic recognition/honor award?

Any information is appreciated.
Thanks.

·
Registered
3,024 Posts
Hello, welcome to our support group. There is not any advantage to having the Joslin medal, except that it makes you a member of a very special group. There is a website where the medalists communicate with each other. They learn from each other and make friends with other Type 1 diabetics in their same age group. I consider that an advantage. The medal is very attractive and I am proud to have it. There are some diabetics who do not apply for the medal, but there have been thousands from all parts of the world who have received it.

If your friend does not have documents proving the date of her diagnosis she can have relatives or close friends who knew her when she was diagnosed write letters for her. They can tell what they remember about her diabetes from that time. I had my sister and a cousin write letters for me. The letters were the only proof I had. The letters were accepted and I recieved the medal.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts