The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

What are you doing? (while stuck at home)

10220 Views 69 Replies 14 Participants Last post by  etherea
Many are stuck at home for what looks like several more weeks.
If you are one of them, what are you doing to keep yourself occupied.

Of course, there's long-neglected housework and closet cleaning that probably should be done while one has the opportunity and time. Not fun, but passes the time.

I do a lot of paper crafts and am so glad for it because it's interesting and doesn't require being with a group of people. With all the supplies I already have here at the house, I could keep busy for quite a long time. I belong to an online group that exchanges what are called Art Trading Cards (ATCs) which are mailed back and forth. Talk about social distancing! :vs_laugh:

Looking forward to a bit warmer and dryer weather and I'll be outside doing something in the yard.
Reactions: 2
1 - 19 of 70 Posts
My life hasn't changed much. I'm a single guy living alone, and I work as a residential assistant for the local mental health agency in one of our group homes that requires 24/7 staffing. So I am still going to work.

I have decided to plant a small veggie garden this year, so I have been working in the yard as weather permits. I have become really sensitive to cold so I'm not going out there unless it is 50 fahrenheit or more. In house I have been doing some cleaning and organizing, and was working on a workbench for my basement when I got sick in January, so I have that project to get back on sometime.
Lowes delivered my garden today, some assembly required - 32 12inch by 12inch concrete pavers to make the raised bed, and 24 bags of soil, will need more soil.
I just spent an hour unloading the pallet of supplies.

I am going to stand the pavers on edge about 4inches deep so the bed will end up 12feet by 4 feet by 8 inches deep. I have 36 green bean plants started and 4 rows each of beets (for the greens) and radishes. I will probably do a couple each of zuchini and tomato once we get to the right weather.
It is easier to commit to when you are sitting on the computer looking at the Lowes website picking out supplies than it is when the stuff is on a pallet in your driveway between the car and the road.
Reactions: 4
My radish starts are emerging today. When I woke up there was about a dozen just barely out of the potting soil, latest count is 45 with the tallest over an inch already.
Reactions: 3
I had to build a rack to hang my grow light this morning. In the first day the radishes were already stretching for light. Beets are starting to break out today. I think all the radishes that are going to sprout have, about 70 plants, I will have more radish greens than I can eat pretty soon.
30+ beets sprouted yesterday and today, should get a few more. I think there wont be any more new radishes, so 70-75 plants. I should get the last few things I need for the garden tomorrow, and have the radishes and beets transplanted, and lettuces, spinach and carrots direct planted by the weekend.

I'm growing the root veggies primarily for the greens, since they tend to be higher in carbs. I'm sure when they are done producing edible greens I can find someone who wants the roots.

I spent most of the day today building a rabbit hutch. We raised meat rabbits when I was a kid. One buck and two does of the high production meat breeds can produce close to 200lbs of meat per year for 3 years before they need to be replaced.
I'm in a small city, we are allowed 6 combined rabbits or chickens. The person from the city I talked to yesterday said they wouldn't be around to check unless someone complained. Then I would have a month to remove excess animals. The rabbit breed I am looking at average 8-10 kits per litter. So I am going to have be in stealth mode from weaning to harvest age so they dont make me get rid of the excess before they are ready. I thought about chickens, but there really is no such thing as a stealthy chicken.
Reactions: 1
I spent 4 hours today assembling my garden. I bought a small electric rototiller, I put it together and tilled the area I am putting my raised bed at. Then I used an edging tool to cut the shape of the bed in and bordered it with the concrete pavers. I added fertilizer and various amendments to the soil, then topped it off with the bagged soil I purchased. I would like to get another 20 bags of potting soil to add to bed to get it full before I start transplanting my veggie starts.

I got my rabbits yesterday. One doe and one buck. I had waffled back and forth on one or two does, the decision was made for me when the farm store only had one doe when I went to pick them up.
Bought lumber today. Two more 4'x12'x1' raised beds built. 5000lbs of dirt being delivered tomorrow. My back hurts just thinking about moving it to the beds.
The completed bed has 2 rows of radishes, 2 rows of beets (maybe), 2 rows of peas. I have about 25 green bean plants in the house under a grow light waiting for better weather.

New beds will have 10-15 asparagus and a similar number of strawberry plants in one half of one, 5-6 each peppers and tomatoes in the other half. Second bed will have 4 zucchini in one end and onions and carrots in the other end. Then I will fill in the gaps with some other stuff, if I have extra dirt, which is probable, I will split one or both of the barrels I have and make containers out of them for herbs, I have seeds for mint, lavender, basil, oregano etc..
Reactions: 1
One new bed filled, will have extra dirt after the second is filled, I think. I was putting tools away, and had second thoughts about stopping when I did. And while I was looking at the empty bed it started to rain.
We had 5 nights in a row of freezing or near freezing overnight lows, we actually had snow on Saturday. I saw the forecast so I put a plastic row cover over my cold hardy plants on Friday, the warm weather plants already in the other raised bed already had a row cover. I had 0 losses from the weather.

Middle of the week last week the transmission on my old van started failing. I spent most of the day Thursday in the dealership buying a new used car. Friday the new to me car wouldn't start, the salesman came to my house and jumped it and I took it to the dealership and they replaced the battery. It drove fine all weekend, I was off work on Monday and didn't drive it, yesterday the car wouldn't start again.
On the positives, weather has broken, we dont expect any more nights below 40 F., so I have taken down my plastic row covers and have second batch of warm weather plants out on the porch getting used to outdoors. We got a text from my boss this week, people with my job description are getting a temporary $2/hr "hazard" pay bump retroactive to April 1. It showed up on todays check.

The negative, they didnt find anything wrong with the car so I get to drive it till it fails and strands me again so they can look at it when it is not working.
My first two rows of radishes supplied me with 10 servings of frozen radish greens, a serving of cooked greens, and a couple dozen roots that I've been munching as snacks. I have also done a first cutting on my spinach and have 2 servings of it frozen.

A week and a half ago I planted the asparagus and strawberries I had ordered online. I have 25/25 asparagus thriving, and 26/25 strawberries (I got an extra strawberry). All of my indoor starts have been planted and at the very least haven't died yet, some are really slow growing at the moment though.
I had an old, unsightly brush pile in the back yard. Maple trees are notorious for dropping branches plus tons of leaves and seed helicopters. I cut all the old branches into short sections and then buried them in rotten leaves from the pile and then buried that with leftover compost soil from my raised beds. I now have a 3'x7'x1.5' raised hugelkultur bed that I am going to plant flowers in.
Yeah, youtube is where I learned about hugelkultur. A plus for me is that most of the wood I buried is already pretty rotted. A neighbor has a fire pit and he asked if he could dig through the stick pile for his fire, he took almost all of the solid wood and left stuff that was punky, reducing the pile by nearly half which was a win/win.
I didn't realize we could add pics as attachments.

Raised veggie beds, hugelkultur flower bed, tree that is the best feature and biggest headache of the property. Screens on the new bed are to keep the squirrels from eating all my seeds.

Attachments

See less See more
Reactions: 5
Season 3 of Dark came out today on Netflix. Watched all 8 episodes in one sitting.
The garden has had its ups and downs this year, but now I have a lot of
home grown tomatoes.

This forum doesn't seem to like youtube links, so if you want to hear the song you will have to go there and find it.
1 - 19 of 70 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.