The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
That sounds good, Cricket! But I like bell peppers more than they like me, so I'd find a substitute. Maybe just more onion; maybe nopales or string beans (they have kind of the same texture and color but none of the digestive unhappiness for me).

Tonight's dinner for my wife and me was chicken breast with a low-carb satay sauce and green beans on the side. It's feeling good to cook again.

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Dinner at a friend's house last night. Grilled chicken breast, spare ribs (mine were "dry"; i.e. no barbecue sauce), grilled zucchini and asparagus, and a kale/carrot/cabbage salad with a vinaigrette. Way too much protein but it tasted mighty fine and I tested "normal" both last night and this morning.

Got to break out our own grill more often... Not sure what dinner will be tonight; maybe pork chops, maybe a steak. If it quits raining I'll prep the grill.

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Used up lots of leftovers -- what was left of a T-bone steak that I'd bought from the "sell-by" meat rack, some leftover kale, some leftover "miracle noodles", and some leftover cream to make a sauce (augmented by some green-can "Parmesan" cheese I'm too cheap to toss, a little mustard for depth and acidity, and some granulated garlic and salt and pepper).

It was food, it was edible, and it won't affect my BG in two hours. It also provided some more space in the 'fridge. Win-win (though not by a high score lol).

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Tonight: Pork Chops Smothered with Onions and Bacon

Chop up a few slices of bacon and cook in a large pan. Add a finely-chopped medium onion and cook it past soft (about 10 minutes). Remove the bacon and onion but leave the fat in the pan. Take four thicker pork chops, salt and pepper them to taste, and put them into the pan for a few minutes to sear. Then flip them over and then lower the heat to cook them through. When the chops are done, take them out of the pan and put in about half a cup of chicken stock to deglaze the pan. When you've scraped up the bits from the pan, stir in either a quarter-cup of heavy whipping cream or an ounce of softened cream cheese and let that cook until it thickens. Put the bacon/onion mixture back in the pan to mix and combine and pour over the chops.

Dinner is ready. Even got raves from my non-low-carbing wife...

Food Tableware Recipe Ingredient Cooking

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
:nod: (for some reason, something's changed and clicking the Like button gives me a "An error occurred" error message). Need to figure that out...

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Stick to the drier red wines and you've got yourself a pretty good low-carb dinner! I could eat dinner like that 'most every night (except I'm more of a whiskey guy than a wine guy).

We had a reunion of chosen family at our house last night. I made tortilla pizzas. Most of the tortillas were the standard flour kind but I had a few of the Mission Carb-Balance tortillas prepped for me and another diabetic among us to eat. I did eat half of a mini-bundt cake (like, two bites of cake and two of frosting) for dessert. Didn't hurt me too badly in the BG department. And it reminded me how very rarely I ever eat anything like that any more. Should have done a fasting this morning but forgot.

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Hi, glennhol1! Welcome to our forum.

Every diabetic tolerates foods differently. At a 6.2 after two hours and two potatoes, I (not a doctor) think )you're doing okay and that you could do this from time to time. It would be interesting to know what your blood glucose is just one hour after eating that same meal, to see if it hits the 7.8 level at which organ damage starts to occur -- that might be something to try next time. As for whether sweet potatoes would be better; it all depends on your body. The only way to know would be to test a similar meal with sweet potatotes.

But the other thing to consider is that we get to manage our diabetes throughout our lives. If those potatoes make your day and they're an occasional treat for you, then maybe it's not a huge deal to hit 140 for a brief period if otherwise your blood glucose is in good control.

Glenn, could we interest you in popping over to our New Members Introductions forum and telling us a little bit more about yourself?

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
That looks good! My wife makes a "pizza hot dish" ("hot dish" is Minnesotan for "casserole") with a chopped cauliflower base but this (don't tell her!) looks lots more appealing. Is there a recipe?

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Well, I can particpate tonight (sometimes it's just grazing/leftovers). Dinner was pork chops with a garlic butter sauce (half a stick of butter, "Baby Bella" mushrooms, minced garlic, a little chicken stock, and salt/pepper/paprika) and some leftover string beans from a previous dinner. Enough left for another meal over the weekend.

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
Sounds like a celebration that didn’t make you pay for it the next morning (94). Good! The food sounds pretty good, too. You didn't mention nephew-in-law though... (y)(n)

· Administrator
2,731 Posts
I've found that black soybeans have very few net grams of carbs, so we've tossed those into some dishes where beans are not front and center (like our keto chili recipe). They're spendy in cans, though, so I think the next ones we buy will be dried. Easy enough to reconstitute and cook and I like the texture more than canned beans.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts