The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

61 - 68 of 68 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,892 Posts
Yeah, the "ramen" these days is shredded cabbage, bean sprouts, or "miracle" noodles. None of them are as good as the real thing, but I make do.

·
Registered
61 Posts
In general I’ve got three possibilities

1. Coffee with an Atkins vanilla shake as creamer, along with a serving or two of habanero bbq almonds (3-5g net carbs).

2.Bacon burger casserole (carbs entirely depend on how much cheese I put in, but usually 4g for 2svg)

3. Omelette with bacon plus a little diced onion and green peppers and cheddar (estimate 6-8g).

Today...I’m feeling number 1.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
On #2, what kind of cheese are you using?

·
Registered
61 Posts
On #2, what kind of cheese are you using?
Shredded sharp cheddar (9g fat, 2g carb, 6g protein). It’s a makeshift meal to clear the freezer since I usually have one or two frozen burgers left over from a pack after burger night, and I’ve always got cheddar and bacon bits around for salads and omelettes.

·
Super Moderator
9,660 Posts
Was thinking velvetta or some other franken cheese. Ooooh, now I'm interested. Loves a meat and cheese dish. Sounds good. What else is in it?

·
Registered
61 Posts
Was thinking velvetta or some other franken cheese. Ooooh, now I'm interested. Loves a meat and cheese dish. Sounds good. What else is in it?
Well the beauty of a makeshift meal is that it's whatever's on hand :D Right now, I've got onions for omelettes and fresh salsa for a buffalo chicken salad that could add a little flavor without adding much in the way of carbs. As a dinner option, I'd probably add in onion along with some frozen peas and carrots (5g net carb/svg).

Speaking of beef, one thing I'll have to try is modifying my old Shepherds Pie recipe. Base was ground beef w/ frozen peas and carrots with worchestire sauce for flavor. That alone had decent flavor. The real carbs got added with a topper of mashed potatoes, which was then topped with a hefty layer of cheddar. Delicious...but potatoes aren't on the menu any more. Mashed cauliflower might suffice, but I'd probably be just as happy skipping the potato part all together.

61 - 68 of 68 Posts