The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am curious to know if others have found some of the same foods helpful/harmful as I have. I thought it might be useful when trying to figure out what kinds of foods to choose/avoid when just starting to learn how to manage diabetes.

As for mine: I would have to say that tofu is definitely a magic food for me. It seems to have a drastic effect on stabilizing my blood sugar in spite of anything else I have eaten that day.

Pizza is a food I should avoid no matter what kind of crust or toppings I choose for it. I choose whole wheat crust and load it up with veggies and cheese on it for protein and it still makes my blood sugar go way up.

Maybe it's the tomato paste, never thought of that until now, but it's probably loaded with refined sugar. How do tomatoes rate on the glycemic index?

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am curious to know if others have found some of the same foods helpful/harmful as I have. I thought it might be useful when trying to figure out what kinds of foods to choose/avoid when just starting to learn how to manage diabetes.

As for mine: I would have to say that tofu is definitely a magic food for me. It seems to have a drastic effect on stabilizing my blood sugar in spite of anything else I have eaten that day.

Pizza is a food I should avoid no matter what kind of crust or toppings I choose for it. I choose whole wheat crust and load it up with veggies and cheese on it for protein and it still makes my blood sugar go way up.

Maybe it's the tomato paste, never thought of that until now, but it's probably loaded with refined sugar. How do tomatoes rate on the glycemic index?

Pizza is pretty devastating to most of us. It is heavy on carbs. Even if you get it made with whole wheat...it is still very carby. It will usually raise my blood sugar and keep it high for a long time. My CDE actually told me my "homework" for this week is to try eating a piece of pizza to see if I know how to cover it with my pump...I havent tried it yet...still too chicken!

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had suspicions I wouldn't be alone on that one. I don't think I can live without pizza though. It is my favourite food. Is there any way to make it better?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I had suspicions I wouldn't be alone on that one. I don't think I can live without pizza though. It is my favourite food. Is there any way to make it better?
All I can suggest to continue eating your pizza is to just eat the toppings. It's the crust that wrecks your BGs. Just load it up with meat & cheese - forget all the veggies for this particular project. Concentrate on the meats & cheeses, olives, mushrooms, etc. And then don't eat the crust.

My magic food is cheese, made into cheese crisps. They don't require refrigeration once they're baked (store in an airtight container), the calorie count drops about half since much of the fat renders out during the baking, and they are downright double-delicious! I can eat them all day long and never budge my BG.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I don't eat pizza that often, but I really don't have much of a problem eating it. I do know that pizza and spaghetti sauce can contain sugar and corn syrup. You might want to make your own sauce and start with tomato sauce and add some spices.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
MMMMMMM! That recipe sounds delicious. My grandmother makes something similar and I love it, but could never get it right. I may just have to go make some of these right now!

As for not eating the crust, sometimes when I am having a pizza craving I just cut up some tomatoes, garlic, olives and cheese and microwave it. I guess it's not the crust I want anyway. But i love the veggies on it and am not a big meat fan.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I don't eat pizza that often, but I really don't have much of a problem eating it. I do know that pizza and spaghetti sauce can contain sugar and corn syrup. You might want to make your own sauce and start with tomato sauce and add some spices.
Or maybe I could just skip the sauce all together. I had a spinach pizza with garlic butter instead of tomato sauce, but I didn't check my blood sugar after I ate that. I am curious now if it is the crust or the sauce that is the bigger problem. How can whole wheat, thin crust be much worse than eating whole wheat bread?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Anything containing grain spikes my BG. Doesn't matter if it's whole wheat, meal, steel cut oats or what. I get a spike from grains. B'lieve me, I've tried because I dearly love bread, and have baked my own all my life. I'm still working on trying to develop a bread that doesn't spike me, but it's still on the drawing board. I can handle tomatoes a lot better than I can handle whole wheat.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Interesting. I am like that in the morning, but can handle most grains later on in the day. If i have grains in the morning my readings are high all day.

·
Registered
31 Posts
If I don't have walnuts in my morning oatmeal or cold cereal I'll get a spike that takes awhile to get back down.
But add 2 tbsp of walnuts (for 1/2 cup dry oatmeal) and do 20 mins on the treadmill and I'm right as rain 2 hours later.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
If I don't have walnuts in my morning oatmeal or cold cereal I'll get a spike that takes awhile to get back down.
But add 2 tbsp of walnuts (for 1/2 cup dry oatmeal) and do 20 mins on the treadmill and I'm right as rain 2 hours later.
I might try this....the nuts part, not the crazy part:p

·
Registered
7 Posts
I am trying to come up with a diet theory if you will and i asked a question about ketogenic diets on another post somewhere, but i have been able to go down from 70 i.u.'s a day from humulin to 10 i.u.s eating mainly fats and not carbs.

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I am trying to come up with a diet theory if you will and i asked a question about ketogenic diets on another post somewhere, but i have been able to go down from 70 i.u.'s a day from humulin to 10 i.u.s eating mainly fats and not carbs.
Considering that carbs are what raise your blood sugar I am not really surprised by that. Diabetics as whole will benefit from lowering their carb intake.

·
Registered
11 Posts

pizza has always been my weakness. i feel ya.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I didn't see anyone mention that the Pizza is so bad because your body takes three hours to totally digest, where other foods take 30 minutes. The Square Bolus or you inject total Carbs and spread it over three hours will work, even though I have never exactly hit the mark. Maybe one time, but it was a fluke. The cheese, bread, greese, and crust combined just make it hard to digest. So your sugar will rise unless you cover it with insulin for three hours. I have tried just to eat a couple of pieces instead of the whole pizza and that works better. I also like the think crust, but if you eat enough then your defeating the point. I love pizza too, I just don't buy it, and I can't resist it if it's there. Right now I do a normal bolus and then take another bolus 2 hours into (i check my sugar first). Basically for me Pizza is a 4 hour affair, I won't be comfortable until 4 hours after eating it.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I found a way to make a BG-friendly pizza: I like to use 2 low-carb wraps(about 5 net carbs each) with a layer of your favorite cheese between for the crust. Brush with a little olive oil and bake at 400 for a few minutes to crisp it. Then load your pizza with a thin layer of sauce and all of your favorite veggies and low-fat meats (like turkey pepperoni). Top with more cheese ans bake until your desired doneness. Enjoy!! I have also mixed broken-up pork rinds with cheese and baked for a crust. Diabetic pizza lovers HAVE to be creative!

·
Registered
12 Posts

I only eat the topping of pizza and do well. If I eat any of the crust I spike. I find just eating the topping (usually ordered with extra cheese) works for my pizza cravings. I also do well with the Breyer's Carb Smart Almond Bars for a treat. It's 5g net carbs and my numbers always remain constant with this treat. Wine has turned out to be great for me - I can add more carbs at dinner time if I have just an ounce or two of red wine. After reading about sweet potatoes on this forum, I tried it and had just a little bit of the spike, but not bad. I've had it twice and both times I went up about 20-25 points but was still below 120 at 1 hr and 2hr. Both servings were about 1/3 of a medium sweet potato.

What a great idea to find out what foods others are having success with...thank you!! :)

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Welcome back, Cindy! Nice pizza you have there! :D Those low-carb wraps make my low-carb life a true joy! heheh! Couldn't do it without 'em!

Would sure like to see you around here more often . . . I'll bet you have a ton of good ideas to share!

I found a way to make a BG-friendly pizza: I like to use 2 low-carb wraps(about 5 net carbs each) with a layer of your favorite cheese between for the crust. Brush with a little olive oil and bake at 400 for a few minutes to crisp it. Then load your pizza with a thin layer of sauce and all of your favorite veggies and low-fat meats (like turkey pepperoni). Top with more cheese ans bake until your desired doneness. Enjoy!! I have also mixed broken-up pork rinds with cheese and baked for a crust. Diabetic pizza lovers HAVE to be creative!

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Hey kenoxla? Have you made any more "pancake" cookies? I've had to back off - they were too much of a good thing, so until I can exercise better portion control, I'm beating a retreat for the time being! :(

·
Registered
800 Posts
Do you get on with eggs?

I have a recipe for low carb pizza quiche. You use your favourite toppings and the tomato sauce or green pesto goes on the bottom. No pie crust at all. Tastes...just like a great pizza. How many of us really liked the dry crusty bit?

Here is the basic recipe. Swop out the toppings for ones you love. I do pineapple and spicy chicken. :cool:

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.