The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all

I'm looking for an artificial sweetener that doesn't have an after taste. I used aspartame before but it was awful. Please mention the ingredient in your sweetener, because brand names could be different where I live. I want to use in for hot chocolate and tea with milk.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Pure, unadulterated stevia powder. At the correct dose it has no "after-taste". If you use too much, you may experience one. Because it's extremely potent, it is very easy to put too much, so you have to measure.

·
Registered
3,861 Posts
I've found that different people can taste the "aftertaste" from different sweeteners. You're going to have to test yourself. I don't like the taste of Stevia, although I bought the pure powder and used just a tiny bit. I think Splenda tastes great with no aftertaste, but I know others taste it. Combining sweeteners sometimes works to get rid of aftertaste as well.

·
Registered
801 Posts
Stevia liquid (just a drop or 2 in a mug of tea, about 5 for my coffee) and Splenda (as a flavored syup) are my go-to sweetners. They do both have their own flavor, but I don't particularily mind it.

As for cost, I can find both here cheaply in the US, but I have no idea how much they might cost for you.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Pure, unadulterated stevia powder. At the correct dose it has no "after-taste". If you use too much, you may experience one. Because it's extremely potent, it is very easy to put too much, so you have to measure.
I think KAL brand (3.5 oz) is about $30, but that bottle contains about 2,400 servings. For me, it's over a year's supply. The bottle includes a tiny measuring spoon which for me is perfect for a double espresso or a limeade made from two key limes. A level measure, not heaping.

Reactions: margilowry

·
Registered
801 Posts
I think KAL brand (3.5 oz) is about $30, but that bottle contains about 2,400 servings. For me, it's over a year's supply. The bottle includes a tiny measuring spoon which for me is perfect for a double espresso or a limeade made from two key limes. A level measure, not heaping.
Salim, does it contain Dextrose? I know Truvia does in order for it to maintain it's "powdery-ness"?

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
Salim, does it contain Dextrose? I know Truvia does in order for it to maintain it's "powdery-ness"?
No, it's nothing at all except Stevia extract. That's pretty hard to find, most commercial products are mixed with other things. That's why 3.5 ounces is 2400 servings.

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
I don't use sweeteners very often. When I find one I like, it will spike me after a time.

I avoid aspartame like the plague, except on the occasional road trip, when I haven't brought enough of my own stuff along.

Rotating the sweeteners seems to work best for me ... thus far. My favorites are monkfruit extract (luo han), Splenda (sparingly) and xylitol or erythritol with a touch of stevia.

Still trying to like the taste of pure stevia. No success thus far.

Reactions: margilowry

·
Registered
5,399 Posts
Is stevia's taste that bad?
Tastes vary wildly. For me, stevia tastes more bitter than sweet. Others don't taste the bitterness.

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
@Smorgan
This one here is cheaper and bigger (8oz) with better reviews.
Maybe I'll try it, but I've still got over 1.5 years worth of KAL.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I don't like stevia either, but I love Truvia. It's stevia with erythtitol. Not sure if that's good or bad, but I use a fraction of a packet when I use it.

·
Registered
547 Posts
I use Saccharin, but only for green tea with mint and very strong hibiscus-rose hip tea.Does the job and I am used to it.

For strong black coffee dont add any sweetener, because it spoils the taste of the coffee.

·
Registered
583 Posts
I do drink the occasional soft drink that is sweetened with Aspartame, but the artificial sweetener I use the most is Splenda.

(I won't go near Stevia -- it has a weird bitter aftertaste that I really do not like.)

1 - 20 of 46 Posts