The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 66 Posts
D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know I've been asking a lot of questions here, and I'm sorry if I seem annoying, but after the diagnosis I felt like I was pushed in at the deep end with no life jacket.

What beverages do you enjoy drinking and why? What beverages have the lowest impact on your BS and which ones have the highest?

And a question about unsweetened fruit juice - seeing that fruits contain natural sugar, how much is an adequate serving of unsweetened fruit juice?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Fruit juice is a serious offender in managing our blood sugars . . . I don't drink it at all, but some diabetics are able to take small amounts.

As for other beverages, I avoid milk for the same reason as fruit juice - milk is loaded with sugar too - lactose. So I just don't drink anything that might impact my BG. I use heavy cream in my coffee - it has no carbs, so no impact.

I've never been a soda person, so I don't have that to deal with - I just drink a lot of green tea, herb tea, coffee & water. If I want a sweet beverage, I use artificial sweetener like erythritol or saccharine.

And your questions are anything but annoying! Ask anything you want - we're here to help! :)

·
Registered
1,590 Posts
I know I've been asking a lot of questions here, and I'm sorry if I seem annoying, but after the diagnosis I felt like I was pushed in at the deep end with no life jacket.

What beverages do you enjoy drinking and why? What beverages have the lowest impact on your BS and which ones have the highest?

And a question about unsweetened fruit juice - seeing that fruits contain natural sugar, how much is an adequate serving of unsweetened fruit juice?
No worries about asking questions....thats why we are all here to help each other out. I drink a lot of water actually. I also drink quite a bit of unsweetened iced tea. I like Crystal light too. I do drink some diet sodas, but not usually more than one a day. Unsweetened fruit juice simply means it does not have added sugar. But it still contains the natural sugar of the fruit. For example, 8 oz of fresh orange juice has about 28 carbs in it. Amedium sized (7 oz) orange has about 22 carbs. If I am going to spend that many carbs on something I would rather just eat the fruit :) The only time I usually drink juice at all is to correct a low blood sugar. I dont usually drink milk either. For one thing, I dont really care for it. I have used it to correct a low tho since one cup has about 12 carbs in it so its a good quick fix for a low blood sugar. If you do choose to drink juice, just be sure you count it in your total carb count for that meal and be a good label reader :)

·
Registered
2,771 Posts

I have been a kool-aid kid my entire life. I don't use sugar anymore, I use other sweeteners. I also buy Crystal Lite. I love fruit juice but there are too many carbs in most for my liking. I do drink 8 oz. of prune juice twice a day to help with IBS-C. There are 43 carbs in each glass and it contains no sweetener of any kind. It is very low on the glycemic index but I still have to cover my carbs with insulin. I also have been drinking flavored water, I like the kiwi flavored water. I think that regular cola probably has the worst impact on blood glucose.

·
Registered
64 Posts
What beverages have the lowest impact on your BS and which ones have the highest?
Water is naturally the lowest with 0 impact and is meant to irrigate and flush your system. Having the majority of your fluid intake plain water will actively contribute to lower BS. If your teeth aren't sensitive, drink ice cold water as much as possible because your body burns calories heating up the water before distribution. Small methods add up over time.

Fruit "beverages" and "punches" like Minute Maid, Sunny D, and Fruitopia are horrible concoctions of about 10% fruit juice and 90% filler chemicals, including tons of sugar. Not only do they provide drastic spikes but they have far less nutrition to them than a serving of Tropicana 100% orange juice or freshly squeezed fruit juice. They often contain more sugar per serving than soda pop.

But see below for juice.

Commercially bottled milk beverages, milkshakes, smoothies, etc., often contain more added sugar than anything.

Regular soda pop of course, best termed "liquid candy" with absolutely no nutritional value, not even recommended for non-diabetics. I live by the mantra "Pop is Poison."

Alcohol also boosts your BG, and 1 oz of it contains about 200 calories. Mixers are especially bad with the added milk, juice, or sweet liquids blended with the booze. But if you have a small sip of red wine every now and then the flavonoids and antioxidants are great for you.

Black coffee and herb teas are best for caffeine. I wouldn't recommend diet pop or Coke Zero much because you can develop an addiction for it as much as regular pop, to the point where drinking tons of it may not increase BG, but your body eventually "thinks" all that artificial chemical you've substituted is real sugar and metabolizes it into fat if you don't exercise.

Aspartame also metabolizes into the same chemical compounds as formaldehyde, so it stays in your system a very long time in large quantities. A friend had a sudden brain aneurysm from drinking large 2 L bottles of Diet Coke regularly.

"Adequate" servings depends entirely on you and your response to drinks and food. How quickly your system responds to sugars differs with the next person. Try drinking 1 serving of juice and measure your reaction to it, that can help you gauge how much is safe for next time. Usually 1/2 cup is listed as 1 serving. Juice contains no fiber, even "lots of pulp" orange juice doesn't have the fiber impact that eating a small orange would. Best to eat fruit to obtain your juices.

As far as treating yourself goes, I would make your own milkshakes or smoothies at home, so you can determine exactly how much fresh juice or ice cream is going into the drink. Make chocolate milk by blending unsweetened cocoa powder with a "safe" serving of warm milk.

Here is one of my favourite recipes for cocoa mix I found online, tasty.

2 cups nonfat dry milk powder
1/2 cup lower-fat powdered nondairy creamer
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
10 packets Equal® sweetener or 1 tablespoon Equal® for Recipes
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon (optional)

1. For cocoa mix, stir together milk powder, nondairy creamer, cocoa powder, Equal® and, if desired, cinnamon. Cover and store in an airtight container.
2. For each serving, in a heat-proof mug add 3/4 cup boiling water to 1/3 cup cocoa mix; stir to dissolve.

Makes 2 2/3 cups mix (enough for 8 six-ounce servings).

Nutrition Information Per Serving: Calories: 104, Protein: 8 g, Carbohydrates: 17 g, Fat: 2 g, Cholesterol: 3 mg, Sodium: 93 mg.

Food Exchanges:1 Milk

Mocha Cocoa Mix:

For a delicious mocha-flavored variation of Instant Cocoa Mix, prepare as directed, except decrease the cocoa powder to 1/3 cup and add 1/4 cup instant coffee crystals.

But above all, water. Get used to water and you'll live very long and healthy. Squeeze half a lemon into a jug of filtered water and you're set. Lemon water's astringent taste, if drunk for long periods, has also been proven to develop a distaste for the cloying sweetness of pop. Perrier and some artficially sweetened flavoured water is good for variety, but see above for artificial sweeteners.

All of these suggestions apply equally to non-diabetics, simply because absolutely no person requires added sugar intake from beverages to be healthy when natural sugars can be acquired from food. So tell your friends too!

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Crystal Light And Big Spike

Had 2-8 oz. servings of Crystal Light this morning and my blood glucose went from 84 to 139. I know it contains maltodextrin but I never had that kind of spike before. I wondered what caused this? :confused:

·
Registered
64 Posts
Had 2-8 oz. servings of Crystal Light this morning and my blood glucose went from 84 to 139. I know it contains maltodextrin but I never had that kind of spike before. I wondered what caused this? :confused:
How often do you have CL? Your body may not be accustomed to that chemical if it's not often. Maybe the chemical's effects were enhanced by something you ate? I dunno.

Did you mix the right proportions of powder to water? Maybe diluting it more would lessen the taste but improve the absorption rate.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
How often do you have CL? Your body may not be accustomed to that chemical if it's not often. Maybe the chemical's effects were enhanced by something you ate? I dunno.

Did you mix the right proportions of powder to water? Maybe diluting it more would lessen the taste but improve the absorption rate.
I don't drink it that often. I drank it when I first got out of bed and had not had anything to eat. I mixed it with enough water. So very strange.

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i drink water green tea and once in a diet soda.

D

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
So is it safe to say that I should just kiss most beverages goodbye?

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Your choice. It's just that a lot of processed drinks have sneaky little additives that either raise our BG or cause gastric issues. As I said, I drink mostly coffee & tea. Regular coffee early in the day, decaf in the evening, green tea the rest of the time. Now that our summer season is upon us, I usually take my coffee iced.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
So is it safe to say that I should just kiss most beverages goodbye?
I would do some glucose testing to see how different beverages affect your blood glucose before kissing them all goodbye. As Shanny mentioned there are some ingredients that can raise your blood glucose. Look for maltodextrin, it is known for raising blood glucose. There is a product out called Sweetzfree and it is pure sucralose and it did not raise my blood glucose, but it costs about $16 per ounce.

·
Registered
64 Posts
You should never have to kiss any food or drink goodbye completely. We're all free to enjoy the same types of foods as anyone else, we just have to measure the different consequences of having them.

It may mean less quantity than usual, it may mean less often than usual, but the wisdom is in knowing that you can still enjoy them with conscious effort.

The reality is the same for both diabetics and non-diabetics alike. Physicians, nutritionists, parents and teachers alike will tell people of every age an d health condition the same. There are many drinks on the market that simply are of no use to the human body. Carbonated soft drinks are probably the most lucrative industry and the greatest example. There is absolutely no nutritional value to any kind of pop, regular, diet, or whatever. It's a placebo liquid that we drink solely to enjoy the taste. The industry capitalizes on our desire to enjoy flavours and tastes, and in pop that largely comes from tons of sugar or artificial sweeteners. There's nothing that pop will give you that is either healthy for your system, or any mouthfeel benefit that you can't get from fizzy carbonated water that has no added sugar or flavour. If there's a single drink I wish we could eliminate worldwide, it's pop.

Does that mean you're a bad person if you drink soda? Absolutely not. You can still enjoy it in reasonable amounts if you understand why you're drinking it, and that the only thing you're supporting is an industry, not a healthy body. Frankly the only people I know who don't drink pop, even lapses, are diehard health nuts, and they only did it after developing a distaste for it over many years. That takes a crapload more willpower than I'm willing to commit to. I still have a can of Coke Zero at least once a week despite my best efforts. Over time it may decrease to nothing, but when I go to bars, just having water isn't exactly satisfying, so I'll probably still have a Diet Coke despite my ranting.

But being a diabetic will help you gain more understanding not just about what you eat, but where it comes from and what goes into it. That will allow you to make the best choices and still leave room for your favourites. Over time some of the best foods for you can become your favourites.

·
Anti-Man Made Carbs!
1,891 Posts
Diet Pepsi, especially the wild cherry
SF Drink Mixes from Target, especially Grape

B

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Root Beer.. The Nectar of the Gods..!!

Well if you're going to drink anything, forget water and drink..

"Root Beer.. The Nectar of the Gods..!!" ;)

Breeze 2 User

·
Registered
1,025 Posts
i have heard of marined ribs in rootbeer. hi breeze

·
Registered
211 Posts
I like to drink Bolero - sugar free. There are 26 different tastes. They come as powdered drinks in sachets. You dissolve 1 package in 1.5 - 2 litres of (sparkling) water. Comes in very handy. I always bring it along when we go abroad (preferably in Egypt, Morocco). We then buy bottles of water and we make our own sugar free lemonade.

It's originally Bulgarian, but I have it shipped from Germany..

My favorite tastes are: ginger, mango, strawberry, pineapple, apple, white grape, cherry, ice tea (all kinds, I also drink them warm as regular tea), strawberry-banana. Give it a try. You can pick whatever tastes you like or you can order a package of 40 sachets.

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
Sounds like they'll accept PayPal too, from customers outside of Germany . . . thanks, Cathy!

And James . . . I'll be investigating these ribs you mentioned . . . seems like root beer would make great bbq - I just never heard of it before! :eek:

·
Registered
211 Posts
Sounds like they'll accept PayPal too, from customers outside of Germany . . . thanks, Cathy!

And James . . . I'll be investigating these ribs you mentioned . . . seems like root beer would make great bbq - I just never heard of it before! :eek:
If you make an order, just tell him that Cathy from Belgium sent you through ;)

1 - 20 of 66 Posts