The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
I'm in the 130 range, but I really want to be lower. If I could get down to 100 pre and stay below 120 post, I would feel like I got a handle on this.

I'm aware 130 is a whole lot better than the 300's I was at three weeks ago, but I am still off my own set goal line by a few yards.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
My usual wake up level is below 90 and throughout the day, I don't normally get above 100 unless it's ten minutes after lunch! Anything above 120 and I feel sick.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I'm in the 130 range, but I really want to be lower. If I could get down to 100 pre and stay below 120 post, I would feel like I got a handle on this.

I'm aware 130 is a whole lot better than the 300's I was at three weeks ago, but I am still off my own set goal line by a few yards.
To knock your figures down to almost normal in 3 weeks is excellent and reflects your personal self discipline and attention to detail. You should be pleased, and yes, you will get a handle on this in a month or two (as long as you stay away from DEs :))

·
WHAT, I got D
3,849 Posts
If I test and see a 65-75 it makes me feel good, but that's a mental thing. I can't tell a 75 from an 85 if I don't test unless i'm getting really hungry.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
My usual wake up level is below 90 and throughout the day, I don't normally get above 100 unless it's ten minutes after lunch! Anything above 120 and I feel sick.

I wish I felt comfortable at those blood sugars. are you type one and how long have you been diabetic.

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
I wish I felt comfortable at those blood sugars. are you type one and how long have you been diabetic.
You can be, but it will take time to bring your figures down.

I'm type 2 (I think, but I've never been told officially) and went DKA three years ago leading the hospital to treat me as a Type 1 for a week before they decided I wasn't. (Again, that is what I think happened - nobody actually said it!) Vive la France!

·
Registered
178 Posts
I was diagnosed under 2 months ago and I check it in mmol/l and I am happy when its under 10.0. I have had a few times that I was just slightly over 10.0 but not much. I was informed by the Dr that I should have the following

5-7 Fasting
7-10 After meals

Now that being said, I am usually over the 5-7 when I wake up. I am between 6-8. I don't know if I should worry that I am not really in my Fasting target. I am in target of my after meal bg 99.9% of the time.

·
Cheryl
693 Posts
I am happy if I am around 100 when I wake and before meals. i can find myself in the 80s and 90s once in a while and that is my goal. I like to be in the 120s after meals. I get frustrated if I am 130 or above and I am beside myself when I get close to or above 140 after a meal.

·
Registered
2,168 Posts
Organ damage starts at BS above 140. Perhaps the funny feeling you have when you go below 200 is your body thanking you.

It takes time to adjust to healthier blood sugars, as your body is reacting to that and adjusting. It may take some months to bring it down slowly, but I encourage you to keep trying to do that, a little at a time, not too fast. :peep:

·
Registered
304 Posts
Yes - absolutely - your organs are being damaged at that range. You should read bloodsugar101.com for info. If you eat low carb, you can decrease the amount of insulin you need and the amount of swings in your blood sugars, which will lead to much better health for you. It sounds like right now your body thinks 220 is "normal", having adjusted to much higher than normal readings. As your blood sugar begins to stabilize at a new, lower, healthier number, your body may feel like you are having a low. This will go away over time. Please consider these things for your health's sake!

·
Registered
6,071 Posts
i would say for me since im afraid of lows I feel safe @ 220.
I agree with the ones who have advised you to bring it down in phases, and to set your own goals. After most meals, for several months, I stayed in the 250+ range. Remember that it's really easy for someone to tell you to keep your blood sugar under 140, if they've never been over 200 - ever. On the other hand, many people here (some who have answered this thread), did come from 250+, and have brought theirs down. I am still bringing mine down, and still usually don't see anything under 140 for any length of time, after meals or during the day. While that's changing, it's certainly still not at 250, and not even at 190.

I agree with setting your own target goals and forgetting the 140, 100, or whatever number healthy BG maintenance happens at. I set my goals based on my current BG. When my FBS was high, my goal was to keep it under 120. After I was able to do that for a good few weeks, I then dropped my goal to keeping my FBS under 115. My goals for pp readings (at whenever you're the highest after eating), started at keeping it below 200 pp. After that, I dropped it to 180 pp. I think by doing it this way, it has helped to prevent a lot of false hypo symptoms, even though I still get them on certain occasions. Anyway, in my opinion, bring it down to a level that's more comfortable for you, and then continue on making progress from *that* level.

Eventually, I will get to a level of <140 or <115 on a regular basis. For now, I am pretty content with knowing that I am making progress, and that it's not a race. Welcome aboard, it's great to meet you! :)

Mary

·
Registered
57 Posts
How do you stay so low John in France, without medication?? Are you very active??

·
Registered
53 Posts
Hi goose74. I measure in the same units. I was told between 4 and 7 before meals and 5 and 10 after meals. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and test in the morning at about 5.7. Like you I aim for less than 10 after meals.
I have my "I'm not a diabetic anymore" moments and have proudly explained to my nurse practitioner that the friggin piece of cake that shot me up to a 16 was worth it. I am human and proud of it. Before anyone jumps down my throat ... 99.9% of the time I stay on target but I firmly believe that to "forever" deny myself treats is not how I wish to control my diabetes. With that said ...
It took me a while to get to the 5.7 consistently. I was at the 6 -7 in the morning for almost 1 1/2 years.
What I am for now is to have my 3 month A1C's continually drop which they have from 14 when I was diagnosed to 5.7 last Monday.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Linda

·
Registered
3,076 Posts
I'm comfortable when fasting is below 90, pre-meal is below and 100 and post meal is below 120. My last A1C was 5.6 and I'm fine with that. These are just feelings. I don't believe anything below 140 represents any kind of danger or coming harm and don't believe any A1C below 6.0 is any cause for concern. But the aforementioned are numbers I can do and feel fine to me.

I'm more concerned with reducing overall glucose "throughput" then dwelling on what lurks in the bloodstream. As long as I'm in ketosis, I don't really care what BG measures are. Peter of hyperlipid is in ketosis as far as I can tell and regularly has morning numbers in the 120s. Is he "pre-diabetic"? Not at all. With so little glucose being processed overall, that number is utterly irrelevant.

Reactions: mbuster

·
Registered
8,607 Posts
How do you stay so low John in France, without medication?? Are you very active??
I've got several advantages.

• First, my diabetes was identified quite early as a result of an infection in August 2010. It had pushed me into DKA at a relatively low A1c of 8.2% and most importantly before anything too horrible by way of side effects caught up with me.
  • After the infection was cleared up, my phase 2 response seems to have come back fairly solidly. So, the basal insulin prescribed at the start was tapered out by the beginning of November 2010 but is kept in reserve for use if necessary.
  • My wife is a great cook, completely in sympathy with a reduced carbohydrate diet and took charge completely and immediately of my diet. That way, the Prandin prescibed stayed in its package and is now out of date.
  • She's a complete little bully - my personal food gendarme, so "cheating" for me boils down to a few extra nuts rather than a large slice of pizza! And her portion control works as evidenced by my latest A1c - which is up significantly because for other reasons she had to spend quite a bit of time in London in March and April. Since her return, my morning average has dropped back to "normal" and I expect my HbA1c in August to drop back to 5% or thereabouts.
  • My exercise is quite limited. We have a dopey labrador who likes a bit of a stroll, so we do a brisk walk down to the village church (a couple of miles there and back), three times a day. Then we use a wood burner for heating in winter and someone has to cut the logs for it as the one metre lengths delivered don't quite fit!
But the bottom line is that I'm content to accept that I'm diabetic and pushing my luck on diet will cost more than I'm prepared to pay.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Hi goose74. I measure in the same units. I was told between 4 and 7 before meals and 5 and 10 after meals. I was diagnosed almost 2 years ago and test in the morning at about 5.7. Like you I aim for less than 10 after meals.
I have my "I'm not a diabetic anymore" moments and have proudly explained to my nurse practitioner that the friggin piece of cake that shot me up to a 16 was worth it. I am human and proud of it. Before anyone jumps down my throat ... 99.9% of the time I stay on target but I firmly believe that to "forever" deny myself treats is not how I wish to control my diabetes. With that said ...
It took me a while to get to the 5.7 consistently. I was at the 6 -7 in the morning for almost 1 1/2 years.
What I am for now is to have my 3 month A1C's continually drop which they have from 14 when I was diagnosed to 5.7 last Monday.

That's my 2 cents anyway.

Linda
Hi Linda

I hope that my BG will stabilize in time. My Dr just told me yesterday to only test once a week because my BG is to her liking , but
I'm going to keep doing what I'm doing now (4 times daily)

Last week I had a price of cake and my BG shot up to 11 but since being diagnosed in May I have been good with my diet.

Thanks for your input :)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts