The Diabetes Forum Support Community For Diabetics Online banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Since being put on insulin about a month ago, the Dr. took me off almost all my oral meds. I have 4 brand new bottles of metformin, and 1 almost new bottle of glyburide. I hate to just waste them, and wondered if there is any way to donate them somewhere? I asked the local pharmacy, and she had no idea if there was anything to be done.

·
Registered
2,771 Posts
Since being put on insulin about a month ago, the Dr. took me off almost all my oral meds. I have 4 brand new bottles of metformin, and 1 almost new bottle of glyburide. I hate to just waste them, and wondered if there is any way to donate them somewhere? I asked the local pharmacy, and she had no idea if there was anything to be done.
I had the same issue except I had many vials of Novolin N. Since they are prescribed drugs, I doubt that you can donate them and giving them away may not be legal. I am just going to keep the insulin until it expires and then throw it in the trash. I know what you mean about wasting meds. :(

Reactions: skypeace

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I had the same issue except I had many vials of Novolin N. Since they are prescribed drugs, I doubt that you can donate them and giving them away may not be legal. I am just going to keep the insulin until it expires and then throw it in the trash. I know what you mean about wasting meds. :(
It just seems like such a waste that I have extra, and so many people do not have insurance that will help pay. Since Hubby is retired military, and we also have a supplimental insurance that even covers the co-pays, my meds are basically free except for the cost of the supplimental insurance (thank goodness)

·
Registered
158 Posts
I was wondering the same thing I have humolog,humulin 70/30,lantus and humulin r

·
Registered
24,394 Posts
I know when Mom died, Dad gave her remaining meds to a free shelter or clinic or some such assistance agency - but this was 15+ years ago. No telling what regulations have been passed since then, preventing such largesse and wasting such valuable meds.

·
Registered
158 Posts
My dr told me to bring it to him.They are good at giving insulin to patients in need.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts